The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, Benning is an awful guy letting key players go home in the middle of the season to take care of their families.  He also got Gagner assigned to a different AHL team to accommodate him.  

I thought we are talking about contracts. 

8 minutes ago, McBackup said:

For UFAs I'll agree. I think he gets his heart set on whatever shiny new toy hits the market and overpays to make sure he doesn't miss out.

For RFAs he's actually done a pretty good job. The Boeser, Horvat, Garland, Dickinson, Demko etc contracts all look pretty good from a Canucks perspective. If the contract issue is "on him" I guess that's technically correct, as it's his call not to acquiesce to whatever the players are demanding.

See I am worried about the Boeser bridge deal because how much more will we need to overpay when he needs to reup so quickly.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Well if you're saying he's not a great players GM, then you do have to take that kind of thing into account.  

Not when we are talking about contracts. He'll run out an FA as quick as possible but he has a thing about making his own guys wait. His We ran out of time comment is a perfect illustration of that.

• Cheers 1

Petey dont care, more time to play call of duty (Gamerpetey) .....as for quinn , we really need these guys signed they can get some preseason games in, otherwise they gonna be horrible at start of season with no training camp/pre-season games , and basically not being with the team

Edited by x00x

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

I'm curious where people stand on this.

For me, I blame Barry for being willing to create a lot of potential animosity with his hardball tactics. I don't blame the kids at all, its a massive decision that very few people of that age could handle on their own.

But i also get that people don't like the situation and could be causing people to sour on the kids. Curious what the split on this is.

No. JP probably promised a lot to EP when he recruited him. Now it looks like he can't deliver so he is dragging this out.

But I would love to see the kids step in and say enough is enough and that they want to play hockey with their teammates as soon as possible and take control of the situation. If not, I will be disappointed in them for not having the balls to take matters into their own hands.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, smokes said:

That's the part of Benning's management style that makes me suspect. He is not known to be a great players GM from past reports and I wonder if this can be more management's fault than the players. As a fan I would rather blame management than the players because one after seeing the players the past couple of years, it is hard for me to imagine them being really hard to negotiate with and two because Bennign has more control of this proccess then Petey or Quinn. So fans blaming the two just rocks my mind.

What is a players' GM?

The one that hands out NMCs and high dollar long term contract like candy? The one that gets so attached to a player that he can't trade nobody?

If so, I'm glad to hear that he isn't a players' GM.

We need none of those players' GM if we want to win the cup. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yeah, Benning is an awful guy letting key players go home in the middle of the season to take care of their families.  He also got Gagner assigned to a different AHL team to accommodate him.  

Benning took some heat over that because their AHL affiliate was in dire need for centers & Gagner goes to a AHL division rival.  Yet that puke Gagner STILL got his agent to whine to the press about the demotion.  Here's a clue Gagner, don't play like **** to avoid getting sent down. Benning does him a HUGE favor despite being a lazy ass on the ice and makes sure he went to a team closer to his family.

Benning couldve been a real hard ass by doing what Burke did to Zezel when he requested a trade.  

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Benning took some heat over that because their AHL affiliate was in dire need for centers & Gagner goes to a AHL division rival.  Yet that puke Gagner STILL got his agent to whine to the press about the demotion.  Here's a clue Gagner, don't play like **** to avoid getting sent down. Benning does him a HUGE favor despite being a lazy ass on the ice and makes sure he went to a team closer to his family.

Benning couldve been a real hard ass by doing what Burke did to Zezel when he requested a trade.  

And even after that, he still traded Gagner to a division rival for a guy who he had to buy out. 

• Cheers 1

Do I want to win a cup yes, how many? lots

can we do that if Petey and Hughes sign for more then 15M long term- less likely too sadly for depth

---

Boeser, Horvat, Miller will all get pay raises- probably take up near 23M in a couple

Poldkozin , Hoglander, Klimovich, Rathbone will probably take near 20M down the road too- thankfully it wont be at the same time as our current stars

We are lucky Demko took 5

What's so complicated about these negotiations?   This is on EP40 and his agent.  EP is uber confident in his abilities and wants what he wants, but what he wants is not in the best interests of the team.  Management has to do what is best for the team.  EP is not Matthews and Vancouver is not Toronto.  Canucks have additional rising stars and players that also need to be paid.  A 5 year contract buying just 1 year of ufa status is a non-starter for management unless forced to do so because EP gets this in an offer sheet.  So far no offer sheet, so suck it up EP40, take your money, get to camp, you belong to the Vancouver Canucks.  Take the 3 years and prove you are super-elite or take the 8 years and the security.  As soon as EP signs, Canucks can sign QH as he is likely not signed because of the EP situation.  Yes, management could have broken up the EP QH signing tandem by having more cap space.

The team further limits EP and QH and their agents by moving on which is exactly what they are doing.  Players like OEL and Rathbone playing well will put the heat on QH.  Players like Hoglander, Podz, Garland playing very well will put the heat on EP.  If the Canucks start the season without them and get 6 outright wins in their first 10 games, if the pp1 excels without them, this puts the pressure on EP/QH.  

I think management will continue to wait out this negotiation.  EP and his agent will have to concede.  EP40 is probably my favorite player in the NHL and I'm not angry with him.  This is business and it is time for EP and his agent to realize they've likely already negotiated the teams best offer. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

They need training camp. Without it they are a detriment to the team and whatever contract they signed.

Not to be that guy- but those 2 are probably the most well off coming into camp. Petey and Hughes have the most to prove out there and they know that- im sure their practices in Michigan is nothing short of a good camp material. Yes there is no coach, but Hughes is probably being forced to play defence against one of the top 15 centres in the league and one of the best hands.

Im sure Thachuk is playing hard too and is forcing Petey and Hughes to use their bodies

6 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Not to be that guy- but those 2 are probably the most well off coming into camp. Petey and Hughes have the most to prove out there and they know that- im sure their practices in Michigan is nothing short of a good camp material. Yes there is no coach, but Hughes is probably being forced to play defence against one of the top 15 centres in the league and one of the best hands.

Im sure Thachuk is playing hard too and is forcing Petey and Hughes to use their bodies

How does that help them Gel with the new players that we have? We have a new coach with new D systems. New PP to learn.

Shooting the puck hard and doing the bag skate is great but that is not hockey. They are also young and developing. They need the coaches to point out how they can improve.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Don’t know that I agree with you on this. All three are at risk of injury and could easily harm or wipe out their careers and earning potential.