The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

41 minutes ago, st33 said:

I honestly believe Benning is just waiting to submit the contracts so he can maximize Ferland's LTIR

Except that’s the exact opposite of how you maximize LTIR.  The team needs to be as close to the cap as possible at the start of the season in order to maximize LTIR savings.  

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Except that’s the exact opposite of how you maximize LTIR.  The team needs to be as close to the cap as possible at the start of the season in order to maximize LTIR savings.  

Exactly, so they don't sign until the last day of training camp/preseason. Them signed maxes us out, we see max relief from LTIR.

My opinion has Not changed towards EP40 and Quinn, but my opinion of Jake Hughes has.

i now know why Jack Hughes didn’t play Michigan college hockey like Quinn and now Luke. Jack is at a maturity level of a 13 yr old and just as stupid. 

anywho Go Canucks Go

77C6FA63-D10D-4B41-9AB9-B711C5DB06C4.gif

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

If the Canucks start the season without them and get 6 outright wins in their first 10 games, if the pp1 excels without them, this puts the pressure on EP/QH.  

This is what I'm hoping, they come out of the gates flying with the new guys. I'm really glad Benning brought in extra depth this year, so if Petey and Quinn decide to stay home and catch up on some Netflix, at least the Canucks will have NHL players to take their spots. 

I think OEL and Garland were excellent additions (so far), and I'm excited to see what they can do. Same with Podkolzin and another year of Hoglander.

Petey and Quinn are missing out, not even really a part of this team, probably not in game shape. The Canucks players are team building, new lines gelling, learning new systems from Shaw.  They hit the road to start the season and that's the way teams really team build and bond. They could be missing out on that too, potentially. And when they come back, there will be pressure to produce.

Petey and Quinn - I know money is important, but you're 21 or 22 and will be making more in 3 months than most of us will make in our lifetimes. Fire your greedy-a** agent and come back to the team. Time to chase a Cup.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, st33 said:

Exactly, so they don't sign until the last day of training camp/preseason. Them signed maxes us out, we see max relief from LTIR.

Yes, but we can go over the cap by 10% in the summer, so we could sign them now, and go over the cap by the 

Ferland LTI dollars.  

I don't get it.

Benning gets paid to represent ownership and build a team.

The agent represents the players and is his/her job is to get the best deal.

The players....they get paid to play and carry the most risk. If they don't like the deal proposed they don't play. 

Pretty straight in my mind. No hard feelings anywhere for me seems like normal course of business.

To be honest I don't care who is to blame. I'm just getting tired of it all. I used to think Petterson was awesome now I literally don't give F#&k what happens. I'm so sick of this stuff, now we have our own primadonna to deal with. Just trade his ass so we ca get back to Canucks hockey. I can't fathom that he hasn't been offered a fair contract. Rich kids. Screw off.

1 hour ago, st33 said:

They could achieve the exact same result signing them today. There’s no benefit waiting until the last minute 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Upvote 1

If anything, the homer glassee are off in regards to Pettersson and Hughes. These negotiations have allowed me to detach from the players and look at them with a more objective eye.

So in that regard, yes. And I'm not willing to solely blame JP Barry either. Petey and Quinn aren't dumb, and they have a say in the matter.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The question is already loaded with some bad assumptions.

It assumes that it is the agent in charge of decision making and that the players have no say in it.

The agents have a fiduciary responsibility to their clients, it would take a single phone call from the player to make a deal, the agent isn’t the boss in this, they are a representative.

The players are well aware of what the offers have been so far are and have not been willing to sign them.

So the PLAYER’S tactics are souring me on them.  I will wait until I see what the end deals are before making a judgement.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Whenever I hear people talk about player agents ruining the game, I think about Drew Doughty’s deal. 

No agent. Represented himself. And got $11M AAV until he’s 37 years old. :lol:

IMO, if you are a super star in the league and going into the UFA, you don't need an agent because you already know comparable players and the dollar they get and you know you want to get 8 year deal for security. So why not save yourself agent fees and represent yourself? That's what Doughty did and I think also OV. Maybe there are more examples of this.

But when you are a young RFA, you need an agent. First, you don't have a sense on the impact of the length of the deal and what is the right $$$. The team can always make a case on why player X is not a good comparable and why player Y who gets less is a better comparable and so on.

4 hours ago, smokes said:

See that's where I see things backwards. He should have tried to resign Petey and Quinn as early as possible so they know how much money they can spend on FA's after that. The period where Petey was injured would have been a time to talk about contract extensions, instead Benning waited and ended up going into a market where comparables skyrocketed in salary. 

I totally get where you are coming from and agree with some of its merits (I actually felt the same way), but, I think the reason they did it this way was that UFA season comes early and they did not want to ruin some deals, aka OEL, etc. I am not saying it was a wise move, but generally speaking, RFA do not get poached. Especially, when the cost is high. 

I also think that sometimes, buddy GM's just leave the rock unturned, intentually

I voted yes but only a little bit.  I catch myself getting mad at them but I really don’t care if they miss camp and a few pre season games (sounds like things are heating up too).  

It’s more how it gets dragged into the never ending Benning debate and the blowhard anti-fans on Twitter or HF popping off about how they… want them to land cripplingly huge deals(?) gets me more annoyed.  

Honestly, it’ll be ancient history once they’re signed though.

• Cheers 1

Nylander held out to Dec 1 before signing and missed 28 games.  When he returned he had a lousy rest of the season.

It affected fans perception of him and he has subsequently said it was a mistake and he wishes he didn't hold out that long.

Petey and QH are playing with fire if they drag this into the regular season.  Simply because they are so young and have not paid the price in many fans eyes, they run the risk of being the new Nylanders.

That would be a shame.

1 minute ago, fanfor42 said:

Nylander held out to Dec 1 before signing and missed 28 games.  When he returned he had a lousy rest of the season.

It affected fans perception of him and he has subsequently said it was a mistake and he wishes he didn't hold out that long.

Petey and QH are playing with fire if they drag this into the regular season.  Simply because they are so young and have not paid the price in many fans eyes, they run the risk of being the new Nylanders.

That would be a shame.

To be fair, neither player has the same work ethic issues as Double Flamingo does.  I wouldn't want to pay that AAV for a lazy floater like Nylander either.