The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

Rate this topic

JM_

Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Are JP Barry's tactics affecting your opinion of Petey and Quinn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

7 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I was starting to feel a little disillusioned after Jack's comments...mostly because they offended me (but let's not unravel that tangled ball of yarn again).

I blame no one...this is just part of negotiating and these two are top prospects turned players with lots of promise whose agent knows the biz.  He's going for all he can get for them and it's a bit of a tug of war and probably not based in or warranting ill feelings.

It'll get done soon enough.  If not, then we can dissect the why's and who's of it all.  

I can't turn on my team and it's easy to hate the agent (player) but it's just part of the game.

I've kind of let go of the "waiting" deal to focus on what is happening rather than what isn't.  Stoked to have preseason games underway.  While they make it glaring that they're NOT in the line up, it's also exciting to see the new guys and think about when they DO join them.

what did Jack say again?  I missed it

8 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I was starting to feel a little disillusioned after Jack's comments...mostly because they offended me (but let's not unravel that tangled ball of yarn again).

I blame no one...this is just part of negotiating and these two are top prospects turned players with lots of promise whose agent knows the biz.  He's going for all he can get for them and it's a bit of a tug of war and probably not based in or warranting ill feelings.

It'll get done soon enough.  If not, then we can dissect the why's and who's of it all.  

I can't turn on my team and it's easy to hate the agent (player) but it's just part of the game.

I've kind of let go of the "waiting" deal to focus on what is happening rather than what isn't.  Stoked to have preseason games underway.  While they make it glaring that they're NOT in the line up, it's also exciting to see the new guys and think about when they DO join them.

yeah this is a pretty healthy way to look at it. I do think Barry is a bit of a slime, he's coaching the kids to miss practice time which has the potential to hurt their performance this year, but he doesn't care because the deal is done. OTOH this has to be pretty mind blowing for kids in their early 20s so I can see why they'd defer to a guy like Barry.

Its really fascinating to see the split on this tho. Some very good points made for each side.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How do you know he has "hardball tactics?".    He is doing his job as is the Canuck management team.   I suspect this agent has the best interest of his clients in mind and feels the Canucks have more to offer and the Canucks likely feel he needs to bend a bit on some issues - it is negotiations 101 and unless you are in the room there is zero evidence any side is being "hardball".    Two elite players do not need training camp to be fit or prepared.   Other players know this is a business and have seen it across the league many times and I doesn't likely bother them at all other than good curiosity shower discussion.   The churn about this in the fanbase feeds the media machine which some seem to love and live for but it really is just noise.    This comes down to whether these two players WANT to be with this team - if they do, a deal will get done in due course.   If they do not, modern NHL world is such you can use the contractual process to effect a move.   I have seen zero evidence that either player wants to be anywhere else than a winning Vancouver organization and fully understand that the "winning" part of that includes their presence for certain.    

the "hardball" part is missing key practice time in camp. Barry is willing to coach his clients to miss that time, and it can be critical to a players performance to begin a season - or do you not agree with that? Am I valuing camp too much?

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If anything, the homer glassee are off in regards to Pettersson and Hughes. These negotiations have allowed me to detach from the players and look at them with a more objective eye.

So in that regard, yes. And I'm not willing to solely blame JP Barry either. Petey and Quinn aren't dumb, and they have a say in the matter.

Welp, seems as though they've both accepted pretty reasonable contracts. 

I now believe they're the best players in the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Welp, seems as though they've both accepted pretty reasonable contracts. 

I now believe they're the best players in the league.

its all good. I was just kind of curious how things were being perceived.

I still dislike Barry tho.

7 hours ago, khay said:

What is a players' GM?

The one that hands out NMCs and high dollar long term contract like candy? The one that gets so attached to a player that he can't trade nobody?

If so, I'm glad to hear that he isn't a players' GM.

We need none of those players' GM if we want to win the cup. 

The one who got the Canucks into the SCF, the one who made the playoffs most of the time they were gm

24 minutes ago, smokes said:

The one who got the Canucks into the SCF, the one who made the playoffs most of the time they were gm

I hope you mean Quinn and not Gillis.

I respect Gillis for building a great team but I also think he needs to take a lion's share of the blame for the years that followed.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, khay said:

I hope you mean Quinn and not Gillis.

I respect Gillis for building a great team but I also think he needs to take a lion's share of the blame for the years that followed.

No he's not.. you want to lay blame, it's called a salary cap. 

We were litterally right there, all we had to do is sign another BIG nasty, physically big, top pairing Dman and a bottom six forward who could fight like Mike Tyson without being a pylon.

That sir, is how close we really were but with the cap, wasn't possible, end of story.

Am I still kinda pissy about it? You guess.. here's a hint, I've been watching since 74 without a cup, and before Pavel showed up we were a nobody team, it all started there and ended at the cap.. believe me I remember it well. 

Will I ever let it go? yeah when we win the cup, before then? probably not.. :)

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

the "hardball" part is missing key practice time in camp. Barry is willing to coach his clients to miss that time, and it can be critical to a players performance to begin a season - or do you not agree with that? Am I valuing camp too much?

You do realize that their agent is Brisson......I keep seeing all this slagging JP Barry....which is fine I guess if he was actually their agent  :lol:

8 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

You do realize that their agent is Brisson......I keep seeing all this slagging JP Barry....which is fine I guess if he was actually their agent  :lol:

While that may be true JP Barry was introduced as Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes’ agent on the Donnie and Dhali show and JP did not correct them. JP certainly talked described the whole negotiation as though he represented them.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

While that may be true JP Barry was introduced as Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes’ agent on the Donnie and Dhali show and JP did not correct them. JP certainly talked described the whole negotiation as though he represented them.

People talk authoritatively about COVID on Facebook but do you believe them to be in charge of the medical process?    JP has nothing to do with this situation.   Period.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

People talk authoritatively about COVID on Facebook but do you believe them to be in charge of the medical process?    JP has nothing to do with this situation.   Period.

Maybe so but whether he is in charge or not he is doing all the media hits so it’s not surprising that people make the association. 

17 hours ago, BarefootBob said:

Yes - those two players forming their own little 'bloc' for negotiating leverage was a dick move.  They're not the Sedins - as actual brothers with parallel careers - they 'created' their own little union as it were to put undue pressure on the team by having them BOTH be withholding their services and damaging the team.  On their own each, as they should be, they would not have had such an impact.  There is no natural affinity between these two to justify forming this 'bloc' for leveraging against the team's success.  Dick move. 

Yup let petterson play 3rd line duties like the sedins once did. When the west coast express was here. Blame it on green for all I care.  He would of never racked up so much points, hence no  8 million dollar deals as rfa... if he becomes LE 2.0 I'll be soo choked....

• Wat 1

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

same agency, and there's history with other Canucks deals

Ever have lawyers representing you?
Even if as a client I may dictate what I ultimately want and what I would ultimately cave into/accept (from the other side's requests), I don't dictate their strategy in negotiation.

So No, I don't see a reason to blame a couple of young guys skating around in Michigan.

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Talking authoritatively is not the issue by itself. It's the fact that it's an insider who is deemed by the public to be part of the negotiations that makes people believe it to be true. He doesn't even have to be part of the negotiations. Him just being in that organization is going to be enough to convince fans of whatever he's saying.

Edited by The Lock