The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Truth & Reconciliation Day

-DLC-

12 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Don't think any of this was taught or discussed while growing up in lower mainland public schools. 

I think raising awareness nationally is a start. Many people simply don't know about it.  Getting the truth out is first step. A day is not going to do anything. But it is just a start. The whole country is taking about it.  I'm looking at the kids growing up now, vs the times when I was a kid. I think it will make a difference in attitudes and awareness. 

Is this actually the case? Serious question.

Aside from recent immigrants, are there a lot of folks who genuinely had no idea residential schools existed? I kept seeing news stories talking about this and I was quite surprised. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones who was taught about these atrocities as early as elementary school, but also foolishly believed that it was standard across education curriculums across the country. 

4 hours ago, The Lock said:

Sure, but it can't be the only step, and that's where I question all of this.

Perhaps over time the annual memory might help, but my fear is that it gives the government an excuse to not do much else.

actually more might be happening than people realize: https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform-single/beyond-94?&cta=1

if you scroll down and check out the progress tracking a lot of things are underway.

5 hours ago, The Lock said:

Perhaps over time the annual memory might help, but my fear is that it gives the government an excuse to not do much else.

Kinda like with Black History Month.

Thing is, change takes time, which is the sad part for the people caught up in all this.  For them, it can't come quick enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

The problems facing the indigenous populations in Canada are multi-faceted and will take a long time to solve even if the country is finally willing to change now that Canada isn't an old white man's nation. Abolishing the "Indian Act" isn't an acceptable solution and we need first nations lawmakers working in unison with all the provinces and the Canadian justice system to draft an agreeable piece of legislature that will support first nations communities adequately. Unfortunately humans aren't good at empathy when the people being effected are far away and out of sight. There is a deep rooted ignorance in Canadians about the current situation of our indigenous peoples. That they are treated well and should "get over it." This is a good way to remind every day people of the current reality people living and working in their country today face. Freezing to death, running out of water and a gross level of racism most other minorities wont face, mostly for trying to preserve their culture. Now kids will sit through presentations on why they don't have school tomorrow while growing up, this is huge in combating ignorance.

I don't have any right to tell first nations people what to do, but I hope we can look past the politics of making a national holiday, and what a national holiday can do.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, The Lock said:

So I don't know if this will be a popular opinion (and I haven't really read much in this thread), but I am of the mindset that having a day really doesn't do much of anything. All it's really going to do is allow corporations to capitalize on this day which is stupid when the whole idea should be to remember what's happened and change it.

We need change. An orange shirt isn't going to provide change and it's sad that the government would rather just have us have a day off and call it a day when the government could do so much more. This is more government inaction than it is government action in my opinion.

I guess at the very least, maybe having people think about it will help, but does a day off actually do that or are the people actually using this day as it's meant to be the same people who are already thinking about this stuff anyway?

And this isn't me trying to annoy anyone. I just think more justice needs to be done rather than this.

I agree a day off is all talk no action.

I would be awesome if you received a day off to volunteer to HELP. Not sure what that looks like but it's time for good, clean, healthy actions.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Squamfan said:

Or Justin Trudeau surfing day

Cool, now what did you do today., on this historic first ever Truth And Reconciliation Day?.

Attend or participate in any of the marches through out B.C. and Canada?

Did you go to any of the local elders talks that occurred in the province?

Did you spend more time today reflecting on the mistreatment of our Indigenous people than you did dissing Trudeau?

I'm asking because in the thread dedicated  to Residential School/unmarked graves; there were a whole lot of people pissing and moaning, yet a month later maybe three posters had done something to try and change things.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Cool, now what did you do today., on this historic first ever Truth And Reconciliation Day?.

Attend or participate in any of the marches through out B.C. and Canada?

Did you go to any of the local elders talks that occurred in the province?

Did you spend more time today reflecting on the mistreatment of our Indigenous people than you did dissing Trudeau?

I'm asking because in the thread dedicated  to Residential School/unmarked graves; there were a whole lot of people pissing and moaning, yet a month later maybe three posters had done something to try and change things.

I was at work, did not get the day off however when I came home a read up on the history 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

I was at work, did not get the day off however when I came home a read up on the history 

Sure you did.

Judging by your posts you.

Complained about Benning

Complained about Trudeau.

That's about it

But for the sake of things, please do let us know what history you read up on and what you learned.  Maybe I can fill in some gaps.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 10/1/2021 at 2:18 PM, Warhippy said:

Myself and many others.

We refuse to honour this day.  We refused to give it any acknowledgement.

In Penticton we did a walk about.  We invited locals and townies to come and see and learn about first nations history.  The Okanagan People are truly unique in how they lived.

But largely we do not want to give this day credence.  We have dozens of bands living in squalor and third world conditions while winter is threatening to set in up north.  Homes without insulation or running water/toilets.  Dozens more bands without drinking water or viable access in or out of their lands due to bridge wash outs and damage during flood or fire seasons.  THOUSANDS of dead first nation children that went missing are possibly now turning up in every single search.  Every single ping on ground penetrating radar.

Yet nothing changes.  Many used this day to enjoy the weather, get drunk last night and laze around all day with pay.  The first nations people of Canada?  Well, we used it like every other day.  Honouring the lost, fighting to revive our traditions and ways of life and hoping for basic understanding and equality.

The truth is, there is nothing to reconcile because nothing has really changed.

I have spent quite a bit of time in the Okanagan.

I have always had a deep respect for first nations people in regards to their connection to the flora and fauna they co habit with in many places on this planet.

And of course the connection that we are all humans.

I did a bit a research even before the internet and learnt about the Syilx people.

Friends from that area educated me a little.

I don't pretend to know much about your people apart from the injustices visited upon them however I would love to know more. 

Our first nations people also use the term walkabout as a descriptor of the temporary mobility of the nomadic tribes.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, Squamfan said:

It's okay, like his black face and every thing else bad he has done, as long as he apologizes, the Trudeau lovers out there are okay with whatever he does.

"Trudeau apologizes to First Nations chief after Tofino trip."

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021/10/03/trudeau-apologizes-to-first-nations-chief-after-tofino-trip/

• Cheers 2

Here's an idea, get better leaders for those other political parties.

Think about it for awhile.

Trudeau does so many stupid things, that almost anyone here will admit; yet election after election, after election, he keeps winning.

That is because the other choices suck more.- Concentrate on improving there.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

Here's an idea, get better leaders for those other political parties.

Think about it for awhile.

Trudeau does so many stupid things, that almost anyone here will admit; yet election after election, after election, he keeps winning.

That is because the other choices suck more.- Concentrate on improving there.

Here's an idea - try to remember my angle - I don't like any of the politicians - and telling me to "improve" on something that is beyond my control is a waste of electrons.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

the other choices "suck more"

conservatives not big on the gays and our pesky human rights. yea, pretty big

the other is... not a white guy?

O'Toole represent these guys " not big on the gays and our pesky human rights. yea, pretty big"

Bernier represents people further right than that

Singh represents a party that has no chance of forming government for at least the next 3 elections

The Greens self destructed to the point their leader had to resign, and probably should have prior to the election.

Ps.  I don't care what colour people are.

6 minutes ago, gurn said:

O'Toole represent these guys " not big on the gays and our pesky human rights. yea, pretty big"

Bernier represents people further right than that

Singh represents a party that has no chance of forming government for at least the next 3 elections

The Greens self destructed to the point their leader had to resign, and probably should have prior to the election.

Ps.  I don't care what colour people are.

Singh was being dishonest in his comments about things like the boil water issue.

To me all this back and forth shows how we need to take first nations issues out of the political cycle. By the time we're all done arguing and complaining there's not enough time left to fix things.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Maybe it’s because I’m up too late, maybe it’s because I read the Canucks dedication to Truth and Reconciliation Day, maybe it’s because I’m remembering the time my Native American friend told me she was drugged and raped and police said there wasn’t sufficient evidence to open an investigation, maybe it’s because I recently watched Wind River, maybe it’s all of the above, but I decided to start a monthly donation to a charity dedicated to helping indigenous communities with humanitarian aid in Canada called True North Aid. They post their yearly review online in a surprising move of transparency.

This is obviously after the day of remembrance, but for those interested in doing the same here’s a great list of charities and what they do that support indigenous communities in Canada. If you are able to afford it then find one that speaks to you and join me in making a one time or monthly donation.

https://circleacts.org/best-indigenous-people-charities-nonprofits/

Reconciliation in my mind starts with giving those struggling a hand up.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:25 AM, Squamfan said:

Ole Justin always crying on TV and yelling reconciliation, yet his father the Prime Minister let the whole residential school torture happen. What a pathetic prime minister we have (and his whole family). Disgusting.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1