The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Preseason Oilers @ Canucks / Oct. 9 / 6:00 PM Rogers Arena

Rate this topic

-DLC-

14 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

I really hope that we start the season 0-6 and Green gets let go.

He is a coach with no real direction. His player evaluation is completely off. I feel like he was given credit for developing young players in the AHL, however now I am starting to think that it was because he had no other choice but to play younger players.

This team needs new leadership behind the bench. It just feels like players say what we expect them to say but none of them really look happy to be here.

Yeah, the whole vibe in the stadium reflects your last sentence and the team is still playing sloppy with no clear system after 9 pre season games.

I wonder if the staff actually have a reason for conducting a practice session other than to put on a show to media.  Secondly, do they actually watch game tape or are they just too busy trying to show the league how clever they are cause at this point, the only preparation the staffs seems to be making on game day is on there suits & hair.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

lol my guy, Thats on media and fans that can't look at situations objectively, And would rather raise hell

Sorry, but I don't completely agree with that.   Losing TT for a mere $1.5 over us keeping Jake "The Ripper" is one of the biggest mistakes uncler Jim ever made amongst very many others.    TT had 44 points last (shortened) season vs. Jakes 4 and he was a very good fit and wanted to be here while Lazy Jake was a well known freeloading floater that should have been ejected two seasons prior.  The only reason why JB kept him was to avoid losing face that he was an aweful draft choice - just like he's now doing with Yo-Levi who I suspect will also turn out to be punted off the team.   JB can't admit failure and move on - that's a serious problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Greens fault for playing all the regulars just now, instead of playing them 3 to 4 games ago. You dont need to have Petan start 10 games in a row to see what you have. It was obvious the team didnt play together or have their lines set. As soon as Miller went to top line with extra attacker on, they score. Miller plays best with Pettersson so now am not sure playing him center would be that great. Probably its best to have Dickenson on 3rd line and Dowling on 4th line until Sutter is back. Too bad we only saw an adjustment the last period and another game or 2 would have been good to fine tune the lines and get more practice in. Green's big mistake was icing a 90% AHL lineup every preseason game just to find who can play on 4th line. This was not critical for this team as we needed to see how our new guys like dickenson and Garland would play and gel with all our regulars and which line worked best. Now Green has to experiment in regular season when points are on the line.

Man, listening to Green's post game reminded me of your post. 

He still has a million question marks. 

What has he accomplished this preseason? 

We've had camp. We've had 7 preseason games. 

He still doesn't know which 4th liners will play let alone what his lines will be on Wed. 

I'm pretty sure if I had no clue after a month of interviewing employees and having them actually work in a work setting, my boss would be like what the hell are you doing? 

Aquaman isn't stupid. 

My guess is, he's on the phone with JB asking what the hell is going on 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

What's the excuse this time?

Oilers rest McDavid and Draisaitl and played their second string in goal... while the Canucks basically played their full regular season roster.

Despite what the final score and last 7 minutes suggested, this one wasn't really close.

The Canucks looked uninspired for 90% of the game... the defense was thoroughly mediocre.

Sorry, but I don't think this team is going anywhere this season... at least with the current coaching group.

Has nothing to do with inspiration.  The defense is a mess.  Poolman is a 6th or 7th dman yet the coaches are praying he magically becomes a 3.  Hughes will never be able to defend.   Rathbone just makes us smaller and weaker.

• Cheers 2

People say we need Sutter and Motte back for the pk and that is true but what in their history tells you they will remain healthy. Benning needs to fix it and add more penalty killers. Not easy. Most likely they will be injured at some point throughout the year and then what do you do. It’s a hope and a prayer right now someone will step up and they haven’t. Not good.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

5 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Based on history. You just wait. They will use Hamonic not being here as an excuse and why they are losing. They will also say they didn’t see the Sutter situation happening so then they didn’t have a fourth line/penalty killer. It’s just excuse after excuse. Year after year.

Do you know exactly why they are both missing? You only have so much cap space, It's not like your 13th-15th forwards are going to be all that great, Same goes for D. 

Look around the league, When injuries happen do you see them filling that hole from there depth with a perfect player? Hell no
We have changed alot of on ice guys over the years, The only thing that has stayed the same that directly effects the game is the coach. ( shaw is a great hire and a step in the right direction )

It's not JB, It's this inexperience in the coaching staff ; Green, Baumer, king not helping the young team get any sort of identity/consistency. We need to shell out the big bucks if a top dog who's been around the league and won ever become available 

1 minute ago, EddieVedder said:

Has nothing to do with inspiration.  The defense is a mess.  Poolman is a 6th or 7th dman yet the coaches are praying he magically becomes a 3.  Hughes will never be able to defend.   Rathbone just makes us smaller and weaker.

We're all mad but I think you're at another level lol. 

We don't think poolman will magically become 3.

We had signed him as a 5D who is capable of moving up to 4D when we are in a pinch (like now when hammer is out) 

Poolman would be a really steady player on 3rd pairing with Juolevi but who the heck knows what TG will do. 

Will it be Schenn? Will it be Rathbone? 

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What's the excuse this time?

Oilers rest McDavid and Draisaitl and played their second string in goal... while the Canucks basically played their full regular season roster.

Despite what the final score and last 7 minutes suggested, this one wasn't really close.

The Canucks looked uninspired for 90% of the game... the defense was thoroughly mediocre.

Sorry, but I don't think this team is going anywhere this season... at least with the current coaching group.

I don't think it is a personnel issue.  We have more talent than most teams except for a couple pieces on the back end.  It's a coaching issue.  Same as last year and the year before that. 

Benning could trade for McJesus and things wouldn't change at all...

• Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Yes, but did you also see how he handled the puck in traffic? Goals will come for him. It's only his second game since March. Don't worry.

I'm not worried at all, just pointing it out that he's a little rusty still.  1st game probably ran on adrenaline alone.  Now he needs to get that split second timing back which will come soon.

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Really???  I counted five plays where he coughed up and miss played the puck.  But you are somewhat correct that his biggest weakness is his offensive zone play getting caught up ice and mis-handling the puck, that's why he was the 7th worst +/- player out of all 913 players in the entire National Hockey League last year. and I predict he'll be even worse this year unless someone teaches him how to play defense FIRST !  

Misplaying the puck isn't defense either.  That means you pretty much have control of the puck and are trying to go on the offense.

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Is this what we are honestly expecting for opening night? 

Is Green stupid? 

Schenn as our 6th? Juolevi And Bowey has outplayed him.  It's debatable whether Hunt has as well. 

I get you want some vet presence who is physically strong but he can't keep up. 

He's not fast enough to cover for Rathbone. 

Send Lockwood down for Highmore and Dowling while losing Gadj? 

Weird how he loves the vets on bottom 6 but he's willing to throw Rathbone into the fire when he's not ready... That's on D of all positions... Smh.. 

I'm a huge Rathbone fan and think he had top 4 upside but this is dumb... 

Green, you should just ask me what you need to do... 

5 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Its more of a system and structure problem. The entire coaching staff has no idea what the plan is, how to deploy players property, and how to play players to their strengths. Green is trying to convert players into players that will work in his system rather than change the system that will work for the players.

Great points !

The excuse with this current staff seems to be players not buying in rather than them doing there job and creating a system that maximizes this roster.  They seems to do a good job grinding a player down with the constant benching of the usual suspects and the tendency to shorten the bench - just to name a few noticeable trait of current staff.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

4 minutes ago, Analyst82 said:

Its more of a system and structure problem. The entire coaching staff has no idea what the plan is, how to deploy players property, and how to play players to their strengths. Green is trying to convert players into players that will work in his system rather than change the system that will work for the players.

Exactly this.

• Cheers 1

6 game road trip will help build team Chemistry, but i hope it helps the on ice product.

Green wasted preseason away imo. 

i wanna see Garland for example fit in as a Canuck. What line is Garland on? I got no idea. Hoglander and Podkolzin what lines are they on? Again i got no f’n idea.

• Cheers 1