Orca Bay and….

Messier and….

Never had a 1st overall pick and….

the Orca logo and…..

(insert excuse here)

You left out, Sh!t happens

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I think people on here and Twitter are taking this Juolevi quote the wrong way.  I read this as him dismissing the question - it’s really irrelevant whether he was (or thinks he was) treated fairly.  

That’s pro sports. 

And what else could he say in this situation. He probably doesn’t feel he was treated fairly, so if he says he was treated fairly he may feel it would not be the truth as he feels it. If he said he wasn’t treated fairly he’d be seen as a whiner and it would not be a good look for his new start. In the circumstances it was a good diplomatic answer to an awkward question.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, davidgoliath said:

And what else could he say in this situation. He probably doesn’t feel he was treated fairly, so if he says he was treated fairly he may feel it would not be the truth as he feels it. If he said he wasn’t treated fairly he’d be seen as a whiner and it would not be a good look for his new start. In the circumstances it was a good diplomatic answer to an awkward question.

Yeah it’s a trap question for sure - say you were treated unfairly and look like an entitled whiner or say it was fair and admit you aren’t good enough.  

The truth is, his circumstances with injuries, Covid and maybe cap situation(?) really limited his chances with the Canucks.  I’d be fine with him saying it was unfair even if a lot would jump on him for it.

On the other hand, the team feels they’re better off with Rathbone and using Hunt as the depth guy - I think there aren’t many secure positions right now so that’s their bet to make I guess.

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Putting draft position aside Juulsen really isn’t that much of a downgrade on Juolevi. Both need much more development to be regular NHLers. At the very least Juulsen has already cleared waivers so we don’t need to lose him for nothing like we might have with Olli.

I don't know Juulsen at all but this is the key part.....forgetting the draft position.  Some people may say this trade was a loss whereas others will say the loss has already happened.  JB moving what would be another media crosshair (i.e. losing him to waivers or keeping him on the team but not succeeding) was what he had to do.  It may not prove to be the right move, but I sure respect that JB is willing to put his ego aside and push forward.

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Really?

23 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, while playing for a coach that forces him to take PK shifts, and no PP time?

Yeah, he's a bust...  /s

I like your posts, but you're out to lunch on this one, IMHO.

25/29 of the other first rounders in OJ’s draft year have played more NHL games. Plus another 15 players drafted in the 2nd round. And a further 15 players drafted in rounds 3-7 of the 2016 Draft.

If OJ was another team’s top-5 draft pick, and we weren’t at all invested in him, wouldn’t most of us have already labeled him a bust?

That’s all I’m really saying. 

• Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's kinda funny. Green jettisoned a few of the people who got a goal or assist during our DREADFUL preseason.

No, we weren't outscoring teams. The players that generated some points were: Gadj, Juolevi (minor assist), and Di Giuseppe. Who did we keep? Petan - former Green player in the WHL. :rolleyes: I must say though, Petan is decent. However, the problem isn't with Petan; it's with Green and him going back to his favourite players

Who made Green's team?

0 points, 1 fight/KO Macewen - he's obviously poorly utilized by Green.

Highmore, who I don't entirely dislike, but he was basically a nonfactor for a few of the games he's played.

Rathbone = promising but underwhelming preseason, aside from 1 breakaway goal from the box and 1 penalty shot, did he do anything else?

Chiasson = hustling, but generally not doing much aside from last game.

How many penalties did we take? A lot.

Who was killing most of the penalties. Juolevi.

Green just doesn't have a clue.

If you put together the list of healthy roster players on 4 OF lines and 3 D lines, you'll see that there isn't much room for all of the players from preseason.  There will be other players lost or playing in the AHL that could have been in the NHL.  That's the mark of an improved team.  Not one game did we see the full lineup this preseason so I'm withholding judgment for now even though I would have liked to see more pedal to the metal.

39 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Really?

23 games, 2 goals, 1 assist, while playing for a coach that forces him to take PK shifts, and no PP time?

Yeah, he's a bust...  /s

I like your posts, but you're out to lunch on this one, IMHO.

The Hockey News in 2019 called Juolevi a bust......not saying he is, but it's not a reach to say he is:

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/the-top-10-nhl-draft-busts-of-the-decade

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Neither of those guys were anywhere near the piece of garbage that Tkachuk is.  His own teammates had to tell him to start playing like a man instead of a gutless coward.  I have absolutely zero respect for him and make zero apologies for that.  The NHL will be greatly improved when someone finally does the league's job and ends his pitiful excuse for a career. 

Benning has said multiple times that character is important, and Tkachuk doesn't belong on a respectable team. 

Tkachuk has had his tantrums and acts like a rat at times but how is that any worse than the way Kesler and Burrows acted out when they used to play?

You are delusional to deny that and say they aren't anywhere "near the piece of garbage that Tkachuk is".

For such a "ideal team filled with character players", that's weird, they were the most hated team in the league.

Why do you think that is? They had the Lapierres, the Torres, the Burrows and Keslers. Such class acts. We only have respectable players on our team right?

There is no excuse to bring in matters that was actually traumatic and detrimental to a person's psychological and physical wellbeing at some point in their life, especially when they were a child. 

Burrows was the type of "character guy" that crossed the boundary and found it ok to talk that trash to an opposing player. He literally thought in his head that it's ok to say those things just for the sake of trash talking someone.

You call that a character guy? Nowhere near the type of garbage that Tkachuk is?

Curb your damn bias. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Very lazy.

Most of those players Benning planned to re-sign its not like he willingly let them walk to free agency. The cap not increasing and the emergence of Demko kind of changed the situation.

As for losing the prospects. I mean yea it sucks to lose depth but giving up Lind in the expansion draft is a pretty small cost. It looks like he won’t even make the Seattle squad so I doubt he could have helped us much.

Gadjovich I think they liked as a player but they needed him to bring something more (pk ability). In a perfect world he would have cleared and worked on that in Abby. Maybe a bit of a misplay on that but I don’t think Gadjovich could have made it in Greens system. And as we’re seeing players of that level are available on waivers all the time.

Dont need to discuss Virtanen and Juolevi any more than we have. They were bad picks not based on their potential but based on their character and work ethic. That’s ultimately what held them both back. An important aspect of scouting but one that’s much harder to gauge. Either way look at any GMs drafting history and you won’t find one without a few big misses. As long Benning hits more often than he misses we’re in good shape.

Serious questions: what is this “Greens system” you speak of and why couldn’t Jonah fit in it? 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Aggressive defensive players means out of position defensive players.  It would appear he's going full Crawford...........never go full Crawford

robert downey jr wink GIF

Gonna be a boom or bust season.

And at least Crawford was winning games and the games were exciting.