The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Juho Lammikko | #91 | RW/C

-AJ-

I think Lammikko is the more interesting of the two pieces received in the Juolevi trade.

Some things I found about him:

- Although he's a RW, he actually takes faceoffs quite often, though isn't great at them. He's listed as a RW on HockeyDB and Hockey-Reference, but a C on NHL.com

- Very defensive usage in his 84 NHL games (39.8% OZS)

- Very low offensive output at the NHL level

- Doesn't take too many penalties, but doesn't draw many either

- Was an option on the 2nd PK unit for Florida last year (looks like he was often used on that unit, but sometimes maybe subbed out)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

• -AJ- changed the title to Juho Lammikko | ? | RW/C
18 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Lammikko is the more interesting of the two pieces received in the Juolevi trade.

Some things I found about him:

- Although he's a RW, he actually takes faceoffs quite often, though isn't great at them. He's listed as a RW on HockeyDB and Hockey-Reference, but a C on NHL.com

- Very defensive usage in his 84 NHL games (39.8% OZS)

- Very low offensive output

- Doesn't take too many penalties, but doesn't draw many either

- Was an option on the 2nd PK unit for Florida last year (looks like he was often used on that unit, but sometimes maybe subbed out)

813854960_ScreenShot2021-10-10at12_58_38PM.thumb.png.e1a70d626604d53bada32155c99f4982.png

Im surprised by his Liiga production. 

• Cheers 1

46 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Reading this, it sounds like Lammikko is exactly the type of player the Canucks most wanted and needed to add to their forward group.  It's hard to imagine him not sticking with the big team.  The only caveat relates to his poor face off percentage.  Makes me wonder if they will play him as a winger instead of a centre.

• Cheers 1

With Sutter still out and Gadjovich claimed, getting Lammikko kills two birds with one stone -- adds some size to the bottom 6, and can play C. He's a better fit for 4C than Petan, I imagine he'd get a chance there to start the season until Sutter comes back. Maybe they move him to the wing after, but this prevents Miller having to move to C and creating a hole in the top 6. 

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

With Sutter still out and Gadjovich claimed, getting Lammikko kills two birds with one stone -- adds some size to the bottom 6, and can play C. He's a better fit for 4C than Petan, I imagine he'd get a chance there to start the season until Sutter comes back. Maybe they move him to the wing after, but this prevents Miller having to move to C and creating a hole in the top 6. 

I think this is more of a question of whether Green just likes having Miller play C, so that he can potentially have 3 scoring lines.  If so, maybe he just stays there,  Dickenson centres the fourth line (until Sutter returns) and Lammikko plays wing.  If not, then probably Dickenson moves to third line C and Lammikko gets to play centre until Sutter returns (that is, unless Green likes Dowling there better than Lammikko).

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I think this is more of a question of whether Green just likes having Miller play C, so that he can potentially have 3 scoring lines.  If so, maybe he just stays there,  Dickenson centres the fourth line (until Sutter returns) and Lammikko plays wing.  If not, then probably Dickenson moves to third line C and Lammikko gets to play centre until Sutter returns (that is, unless Green likes Dowling there better than Lammikko).

I hope this guys gets the 4 c over Miller playing C. Having 3 average scoring lines is worse than having 2 strong scoring lines.

9 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Reading this, it sounds like Lammikko is exactly the type of player the Canucks most wanted and needed to add to their forward group.  It's hard to imagine him not sticking with the big team.  The only caveat relates to his poor face off percentage.  Makes me wonder if they will play him as a winger instead of a centre.

Totally curious, where did you arrive at the conclusion that he has a poor faceoff percentage? I don't see it in this text. Do you have another source?

Nvm, I looked it up. 44 percent is not ideal, but I don't think it's considered 'poor'. It's not worse than what Gaudette brought to the table.

image.png.24bba629c70b13726b531dacd04ae079.png

Edited by Dazzle

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Totally curious, where did you arrive at the conclusion that he has a poor faceoff percentage? I don't see it in this text. Do you have another source?

Nvm, I looked it up. 44 percent is not ideal, but I don't think it's considered 'poor'. It's not worse than what Gaudette brought to the table.

It's actually in the stats AJ provided 

• Cheers 2

I know most CDCers don’t like reading/listening to Drance, but apparently they know each other from Florida, and I definitely appreciated what Tommy Boy had to say about Juho:

We have quite a few guys who are the opposite of a “bit limited with the puck,” but can definitely can use a 6’2”, 200 lb two-way C/W who “will work his absolute bag off every shift.”

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

I know nothing about this player but I agree that it almost sounds like he may be the best option at this point for 4C as long as he works hard defensively and can get at least 45% faceoff wins. 

58 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I base the "poor" description on the fact that Petterson has usually been considered to at least be 'weak' on faceoffs and his yearly percentages have fallen with the 41%-45% range, similar to Gaudette, who was also never considered strong on faceoffs here.  Last year, between Horvat, Miller, Sutter & Beagle, none ended up lower than 53%. Lammikko falls within the same range as Petterson and Gaudette, which at least on this team, makes him seem weak on faceoffs and liable to either be put on the wing or to have someone else step in and take faceoffs for him.

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know most CDCers don’t like reading/listening to Drance, but apparently they know each other from Florida, and I definitely appreciated what Tommy Boy had to say about Juho:

We have quite a few guys who are the opposite of a “bit limited with the puck,” but can definitely can use a 6’2”, 200 lb two-way C/W who “will work his absolute bag off every shift.”

I'm starting to wonder if this is the piece we should be excited about for this year. Our 4th line isn't settled in the least and if we ended up with another Motte that would be fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1