The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Juho Lammikko | #91 | RW/C

-AJ-

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I can only name 6 guys off the top of my head. The twins, Bieksa, Edler, Kesler, Raymond. Who else? I believe Tanev was as well.

I know Tanev was an undrafted college signing. I think the rest were drafted though.

3 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Uh….how about the Burke/Nonis years?  The bulk of that core that finished 1st overall in the regular season under Gillis was built via drafted players.  

Burke/Nonis drafted a good chunk of the core and Gillis came in, added some pieces, and took them to the finals.  Benning has also drafted a good chunk of the core and is still around and adding pieces so let's see if he is the one who can take this team to the finals.  If not we will need a Gillis type to come in and finish the job.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I know Tanev was an undrafted college signing. I think the rest were drafted though.

Luongo and Burrows were not drafted.  Two huge pieces of that core.  Ehrhoff was also a major factor in the 2011 final team.  Tanev was never a full time starter until 2013 so he wasn't really part of that President's Trophy and Stanley Cup final team.

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Luongo and Burrows were not drafted.  Two huge pieces of that core.  Ehrhoff was also a major factor in the 2011 final team.  Tanev was never a full time starter until 2013 so he wasn't really part of that President's Trophy and Stanley Cup final team.

Would be tough for a D to crack the blue line back then unless they were like a legit#1 like Chara.  When you have Salo as your #5, you have a deep blue line.  Just not healthy enough.  Must be something in the water in Vancouver.:lol:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Would be tough for a D to crack the blue line back then unless they were like a legit#1 like Chara.  When you have Salo as your #5, you have a deep blue line.  Just not healthy enough.  Must be something in the water in Vancouver.:lol:

If Chara was a Canuck and not a Bruin I think we win 3 Cups with that core.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Uh….how about the Burke/Nonis years?  The bulk of that core that finished 1st overall in the regular season under Gillis was built via drafted players.  

The Burke Nonis years were very hit and miss, almost bipolar.  

Drafting success was also equally, if not more, met with drafting fails.  

Burke, like Quinn, took gambles or scooped a insider knowledge thru the Legend.   Truly have to say, the most regrettable player departure from Vancouver was Igor Larionov.  The reasons were with the Russian or Soviets having a portion of Igor’s salary as long as he played with the Canucks.  Burke was a bigger gambler.  He hit a inside straight when he drafted the Twins.  Kesler was his only other solid first rounder after that.  Think Ohlund was pre Burke.  Guys like Bieksa, Edler and Burrows were all steals.  But there was this guy named Patrick White…. Lol.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
Edit
  • Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

not like it matters much, but since I noticed, he wears #91, not #83. 

Thanks. The Canuck website showed him wearing #83 last time I checked, but it's changed now.

• Cheers 1

• -AJ- changed the title to Juho Lammikko | #91 | RW/C
10 minutes ago, BCNate said:

Kid looked really good.  Fills a much bigger need in the lineup than OJ did.  I think Lammikko may show enough to stay in the lineup when Motte and Boeser return.

Signs look promising that he's a bottom 6 forward with good size and wheels who knows where needs to be to play defensively sound hockey, can kill penalties, and has the ability to play a physical game.  I agree that Lammikko could well cement a spot in the bottom 6 even on a healthy squad, especially with Sutter potentially out long term.

I thought it was telling that Green put him out in the final minute of play.  Already seems to trust him.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:12 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

You also can’t really compare raw faceoff percentage apples to apples, because this is one area of the game where “zonestarts” can have a significant impact. Defensive zone faceoff percentage tends to be lower by something like 3-5 percentage points because of the attacking team advantage.

A FO% in the mid 40’s isn’t “bad” for a majority defensive player, but that same FO% is pretty weak for a guy who mostly takes offensive zone draws.

Quality of teammates can also have an effect, when it comes to getting “winger wins.”

I haven’t dug into Juho’s usage too deep, but I suspect he’d be closer to 50%, or better, if he was taking the same draws as say a Pettersson or Gaudette.

This also speaks to just how dominant some of the best “defensive centres” in the league are on draws, if they can post 55%+ while deployed mainly on DZ 5v5 faceoffs and PK.

The other factor is how many times do they take draws on their strong side.

You have 4 possibilities:

1) Strong hand (SH) versus Weak Hand (WH)

2) SH versus SH

3) WH Versus SH

4) WH versus WH

You'd expect above 50% if you are SH versus WH, below 50% for WH vs SH,and approximately 50% for the neutral cases.

Of course there is synergy to these factors as well, as being SH vs WH in the offensive zone will give you an even greater advantage. On the flip side, you could see a bit of a cancelling out too, where you are WH vs SH, but in the O-zone. I'd still expect the SH to win more than the WH, but the difference should be smaller with the zone advantage.