The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

In your experience, putting your best forward on a depth line with grinder/depth players and limiting his minutes is a recipe for success?

He's not our best forward, it's also game one, but carry on by all means. Try to conceive of a world where you don't know everything and you're not smarter than everyone. I know it's impossible.

In my experience coaching is about winning games, not immediately rewarding people and assigning them new lines in real time. In my (I know moronic) opinion I thought Hoglander generated a lot of chances by himself and played well, however that doesn't mean you immediately have to mix up the lines. I see two theories that work. Play the hot hand and move them up the line-up or don't mess with what is working and keep all lines strong. Either can work, it's a judgement call. Hoglander is not McDavid and that wasn't the performance of a lifetime you're making it out to be.

Also, playing a good game doesn't mean you'll score automatically in a shootout either.

And yes, limiting players minutes is not new to hockey. Green isn't the only idiot coach who does that.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sometimes I feel like the fans here care more about how they disagree with how other fans feel rather than caring about how good the team is.

Maybe the answer is in your statement.

'Fans' are traditionally focused on seeing the good in their team. 

I am a Canuck fan for better or worse. I will always believe they can win before every game even if I see an up hill slope. 

If you are a 'fan' that constantly worries or wants to point out the short comings of the team, that is ok but I understand why many will try to defend.

There is also layers. I'm not a fan of Green for example but I like JB and really dig this line up. Last night the coach seemed to have the troops ready off the hop and overall the game went well. So, I will not look at the coach right now to try to cut him down. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah is rolling right now, he needs more minutes currently in preseason and first game Hoglander>Miller.

I would try:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lammikko - Chiasson

Just until Miller gets going.

I would actually like to see this

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

See you do think the bottom six is a problem. 

From what I saw yesterday, most of the bottom-6 guys were fine.

Hoglander should just be playing higher up the lineup because they are limited, but so are most bottom-6 players, that's why they aren't in the top-6. Hoglander shouldn't fall in that category.

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So how long did it take for this guy to get what he deserves? :lol:

Myers is my hero no matter how he plays here on out.

Waaaaaaaaay too long

I personally hope we clobber him every time we play them, let him go into retirement beaten to a pulp and hurting all over 

27 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Panic?

Like I always say, half the things y'all come @ me for do not even exist, where am I panicking?

The other guy above said I claimed our bottom 6 was a "problem", where did I say that?

Just saying that, IMO, that was a very winnable game with better coaching and assuming we're a bubble team, every point matters.

I'd personally stack our top-6 and just hope the bottom 6 treads water in a more defensive role. Not because it's ideal, but because it's what we have to work with:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

lol - coaching 101 :sadno: :picard: 

why do I even bother :lol:

5 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe a good thing? They are ugly and disgrace to our game.

Whatever company shows up on our unis, helmets, etc... get nothing but piss and vinegar from me going forward. Perhaps other fans will feel the same.

At least it’s not Rogers with red on the helmet again that really didn’t fit the colour scheme, I don’t mind the TD compared to Rogers

Edited by Odjick 4 Premier
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

He's not our best forward, it's also game one, but carry on by all means. Try to conceive of a world where you don't know everything and you're not smarter than everyone. I know it's impossible.

In my experience coaching is about winning games, not immediately rewarding people and assigning them new lines in real time. In my (I know moronic) opinion I thought Hoglander generated a lot of chances by himself and played well, however that doesn't mean you immediately have to mix up the lines. I see two theories that work. Play the hot hand and move them up the line-up or don't mess with what is working and keep all lines strong. Either can work, it's a judgement call. Hoglander is not McDavid and that wasn't the performance of a lifetime you're making it out to be.

Also, playing a good game doesn't mean you'll score automatically in a shootout either.

And yes, limiting players minutes is not new to hockey. Green isn't the only idiot coach who does that.

First of all, love how you're condemning me for being a know-it-all and at the same time, telling me how it is, as if you know it all. Rich.

1) He was our best forward last night, and likely will be many more nights. Where did I say it was a "performance of a lifetime" or that he's McDavid? That's just hyperbole to mask the holes in your argument.

2) Lineup wouldn't need shuffling if it was composed competently before the game started.

It was a close game, better coaching could have won us the game. Simple as that.

If you feel like the game was coached about as well as possible and there was nothing Green could have done better to flip the result, we can just agree to disagree.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

From what I saw yesterday, most of the bottom-6 guys were fine.

Hoglander should just be playing higher up the lineup because they are limited, but so are most bottom-6 players, that's why they aren't in the top-6. Hoglander shouldn't fall in that category.

Podz is not a bottom six either, but once he gets going a third line of him and Hoglander would be awesome. Are you going to have a problem with that too if Green is the one who makes the line. It is not hard to see if any other coach had set up the line up they be shrewd in your judgment. 

• Cheers 1

I'd be fine with Hoglander playing in the top 6 too.  But maybe he's looking good in part because he is playing down the lineup.  His line only drew McDavid some of the time and the rest was mostly against the coil's bottom 6.  He's going to look really good against that quality of competition but is also a counterpunch threat against their top line.  Big plus for the team to have a 3rd line like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odjick 4 Premier said:

At least it’s not Rogers with red on the helmet again that really didn’t fit the colour scheme, I don’t mind the TD compared to TD

I agree.

I should stop going on about it in this thread as there is another dedicated to the issue.

My concerns in a nutshell...

The helmets are one thing, next year it's the sweaters, they will keep squeezing and squeezing if there is no push back. We just assume that our game wont turn into the Nascar look of the Euro leagues but there was also once when there was no ads on our boards either. Slippery slope. 

18 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Just glad that we at least put up a fight at the end.

i was very surprised to read this from you, i thought we played a really good, entertaining game all throughout. I though we were much better in the first, second period was theirs, but the third period was once again ours. What really bothered me was our powerplay in general and their powerplay goal. That too many men penalty is just so maddening, and you could just tell, that's gonna be the one they convert into a goal... i was so furious. I don't know about you, but to me our powerplay just looks so slow and predictable (except that couple of touch passes right before OEL's goal, that was pretty neat); we had much better shifts even on 5on5, especially in the first period.

Also, I didn't see much of Podkolzin, which i thought was a shame.

I loved Garland, Hoglander, Highmore, and that Myers hit on Keith was soo sooo satisfying.

And I've just realized, I hate Mike Smith so much, I was so worried we would get shutout. Glad that didn't happen, but still, did you see his celebration at the end? Like he just won a round in the playoffs. what an embarrassment.

Also also, I don't mind Chiasson on the powerplay for now, but I hope he starts converting those chances very soon, Pettersson was feeding him with great passes.

Edited by Rubik
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, vancan2233 said:

Podz is not a bottom six either, but once he gets going a third line of him and Hoglander would be awesome.

If Pod shows he can keep up with Hog, I wouldn't have a problem with them playing together.

3 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Are you going to have a problem with that too if Green is the one who makes the line. It is not hard to see if any other coach had set up the line up they be shrewd in your judgment. 

I don't really care who the coach is as long as they aren't doing dumb things.

A few things: Although I loved Myers steamrolling Keith, he did not get what he deserves. He deliberately injured Danny and got a slap on the wrist from the league for it. The Canucks loss to the Kings was in no small part due to losing their best scorer....

Also, lets not forget Duncan Keith's "Wakey wakey, Backes!" comment to an obviously concussed Dave Backes, after the Blues forward was leveled by Brent Seabrook....

As Rickey would say, ""It's water under the fridge", because retribution for something that killed the Canucks' chances 9 years ago means little, but that doesn't mean I won't feel somewhat vindicated if at some point this season, one of the Canucks punches DK's lights out.

As far as the game itself goes, my glass is half full. Halfway through the third, it not only looked like a regulation loss, but a shutout loss to boot. Scoring twice to tie and taking a loser point on the road is s decent start for me.

Besides, it's hard to feel too bad after the Canada - Panama Footie result....

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Garland might become my favorite Canuck if he keeps playing like this.

I like him as well, he is the second coming of Cliff Ronning. There was a reason he was given the handle "crafty" and Garland displays those skills as well.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I'd be fine with Hoglander playing in the top 6 too.  But maybe he's looking good in part because he is playing down the lineup.  His line only drew McDavid some of the time and the rest was mostly against the coil's bottom 6.  He's going to look really good against that quality of competition but is also a counterpunch threat against their top line.  Big plus for the team to have a 3rd line like that.

I personally dont think he just looks good because he is playing down the lineup, I think for the next one-two years Hoglander is going to be a very underrated player due to his size. His training and work ethic are elite, and I think it will start to show that these arent just one-off performances. Eventually they will have no choice but to play him in the top 6. If you look at his NHL stats for his age they are elite (equivalent to easily a top 10 pick). 

Below are the top 6 NHL scoring players from the 2019 draft:

#1 njdevils.png New Jersey Devils 6.png Jack Hughes (F)   117 18 34 52  
#2 nyrangers.png New York Rangers 2.png Kaapo Kakko (F)   115 19 21 40  
#3 chicagoblackhawks.png Chicago Blackhawks 3.png Kirby Dach (F)   83 10 23 33  
#40 canucks2020.png Vancouver Canucks 1.png Nils Höglander (F)   57 13 16 29  
#7 buffalo_sabres-3.png Buffalo Sabres 3.png Dylan Cozens (F)   41 4 9 13  
#9 anaheim_ducks-2.png Anaheim Ducks 6.png Trevor Zegras (F)   25 3 10 13  
Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Thanks 1

Back to enjoying hockey and a good game to start the year. I loved Garland's triple reverse dippsy doodle on the boards to get the penalty call. He's also super creative at getting crafty/tricky shots off when blanketed in the offensive zone. Very cool addition to the team. I'm looking forward to game 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I personally dont think he just looks good because he is playing down the lineup, I think for the next one-two years Hoglander is going to be a very underrated player due to his size. His training and work ethic are elite, and I think it will start to show that these arent just one-off performances. Eventually they will have no choice but to play him in the top 6. If you look at his NHL stats for his age they are elite (equivalent to easily a top 10 pick). 

Yeah his advance stats last year were off the charts for a rookie 

Just now, Bure_Pavel said:

The Canucks have the skill to have a 1st line and two second lines.