The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, higgyfan said:

Just one game and the team is showing an obvious improvement over last season.  Quite amazing when you think of all the new faces and 2-3 guys that are still a bit rusty.  With Boes and Motte returning, the team suddenly looks high end with some very good depth.

Looks like Hughes has found a great partner in Poolman.

Hogs can play on any line and look threatening.

Garland is still adjusting, but is already looking good on the top 6.

OEL comes across as an incredibly smooth and confident player.  A master of his game.

Myers.  Are we seeing some emerging beastdom happening?

Burroughs.  Wow.  Where did he come from?  We have a very competent 3RD here folks!

Dickinson and 3d line look good.

Lams is looking like a solid 4C.

Highmore looked terrific last night.  Might be the Motte replacement next year?

Line changes incoming when Boes and Motte arrive on the scene.  I can see Pods being sent down to Abby.  He can play big minutes until the injury bug starts in Van.

Burroughs has definitely been a surprise through camp and the first game of the season.  Even though that's been good, Rathbone and Burroughs both played very limited minutes last night so we'll see how things look if he is given more responsibility (and Rathbone, for that matter).

5 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

What does Green have against Hoglander? He was our best player in the game, is consistently one of our best players and the kid seems to get the shaft every time over other players. 

Höglander had an A+ game. So many great plays. Made the game tying pass. Could have had a couple other apples. 

But no, Chiasson has to be on the top line. 

Not sure how he didn't even get a chance in the shootout.

16 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

It'll never happen, but McDavid deserves a game suspension for that elbow to OEL's jaw. 

McBaby isn't tough enough to get away with that kind of crap. He might find himself on the receiving end of some nasty slashes to the wrist or a spear if he keeps it up. 

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm sure I've seen comments from you about how good teams have depth including 3rd line scoring. 

Sure, but we don't have that kind of depth.

Those good teams have too many good players, we don't have that "problem".

My general point is, I don't know how anyone (let alone an NHL coach) can see Hoglander buzzing the way he is and go "yeah, we'll start him in a depth role and sprinkle him around here and there, tweener minutes in general" lol?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe a good thing? They are ugly and disgrace to our game.

Whatever company shows up on our unis, helmets, etc... get nothing but piss and vinegar from me going forward. Perhaps other fans will feel the same.

While I understand your sentiment, the multi national billion dollar companies won't care if they get your $5.00.  :lol:

• Thanks 1

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

Burroughs has definitely been a surprise through camp and the first game of the season.  Even though that's been good, Rathbone and Burroughs both played very limited minutes last night so we'll see how things look if he is given more responsibility (and Rathbone, for that matter).

That is how most third pairing D man are used on most teams. There is no need for more ice time until injuries happen or they show in a game that more time should be awarded. 

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I don't profess to know everything, but I can admit that I know that it's a good idea to play your best forwards together, especially when you need a goal.

This isn't rocket science to even casual hockey fans.

It's a rather straightforward concept.

I guess my 40 years of watching NHL coaches spread out the offence on different lines means they are all morons too? Okay I concede you know more than everyone and deserve to be an NHL coach. I don't want to insult a hockey genius but this isn't where you submit your resume. Maybe try Indeed or something. It'll be a shame to lose you here though, you will be sorely missed. Good luck ... I'm already jealous of your Stanley Cup ring. :bored:

• Wat 1

Hating on Green is this years story. I get it, fine with that. Not overly big on the guy myself but trying to turn praise into something bad is not the way to go about it. Once your on the bandwagon you’re on it I guess. Turning every single move into a bad one. I agree Hoglander should have been in the shootout but I had zero issues with his deployment. There’s a reason he had such a great game 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

I guess my 40 years of watching NHL coaches spread out the offence on different lines means they are all morons too? Okay I concede you know more than everyone and deserve to be an NHL coach. I don't want to insult a hockey genius but this isn't where you submit your resume. Maybe try Indeed or something. It'll be a shame to lose you here though, you will be sorely missed. Good luck ... I'm already jealous of your Stanley Cup ring. :bored:

In your experience, putting your best forward on a depth line with grinder/depth players and limiting his minutes is a recipe for success?

5 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

That is how most third pairing D man are used on most teams. There is no need for more ice time until injuries happen or they show in a game that more time should be awarded. 

I agree, it's a good thing we can keep them in a limited role.

OEL & Hughes can play the big minutes. Then give Rathbone a chance to play against lesser competition & develop. Could be an advantage for us given his offensive ability. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No the problem is he can not see past his narrow mindedness. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Oilers should have been called for tripping with about 2:30 left in the 3rd. Cannot remember the players. Obvious call and the ref was right there. Game management IMHO.

Lots of game management. 2 blatant holding of the stick calls (one on Hoglander, the other on Yamamoto), a hold and a trip. 

26 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

He's like our best forward?

o wait sorry, gotta staple Pearson and Chiasson to the top 6 instead

lmao

And let's not forget the shootout.

We win that game last night with an NHL coach.

Tippet is gone then right? McJesus, LD, and Barrie all missed in the NHL talent show.

• Cheers 1

Just now, kanucks25 said:

In your experience, putting your best forward on a depth line with grinder/depth players and limiting his minutes is a recipe for success?

In this case you can not look at his play and say it did not work. You are also under valuing how good the bottom six played. To pass off the players he played with as a problem is again being narrowed minded. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, vancan2233 said:

In this case you can not look at his play and say it did not work. You are also under valuing how good the bottom six played. To pass off the players he played with as a problem is again being narrowed minded. 

I never said they are a problem.

And just because he played well in the role he was in, doesn't mean he wouldn't play well or better in an expanded role.

There's a reason why, typically, teams deploy their best players with their other best players and play them more minutes than their lesser players.

Again, nothing I'm saying here is exactly out of the ordinary.

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup.

That holding the stick by Yamamoto on Horvat was ridiculous.  He held if from blue line all the way to the net and was literally dragged the entire length of the Oilers zone.

I dont know how that was not called.  He literally tucked it under his armpit and used his hands to hold Horvats stick like a pony ride.

Yamamoto literally looked like he was a pouting 6 year old on that play.  Not a professional look by him.

26 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Sure, but we don't have that kind of depth.

Those good teams have too many good players, we don't have that "problem".

My general point is, I don't know how anyone (let alone an NHL coach) can see Hoglander buzzing the way he is and go "yeah, we'll start him in a depth role and sprinkle him around here and there, tweener minutes in general" lol?

I wouldn't set your hair on fire just yet. One benefit of the approach is Hog's was utilized all over the place last night and created some great chances, if he's just stuck with Bo's line e.g., maybe he see's fewer chances?

what line would you see him on? does he bump Brock to the 3rd line? not likely. Was he really better than Garland? too soon for this kind of panic imo.