The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Buffalo Sabres | Oct. 19, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Me too!   I suspect its either that he found our very weak coaching suspect or that he found this team had no identity - which was mainly caused by the sterilization of team and individual identity by having this team led by swedes over the last 20 years who tried to replace it with bland vanilla stoicism that many Normal Canadian hockey players don't buy into.

It’s an interesting thing to contemplate.

The Twins brought a different kind of leadership for sure, and yeah to some it seems bland or passive, but in terms of character those guys were the epitome.

That said, If you look at our teams when we had our memorable successes (aside from the finals with Boston) they were driven by Smyls and Lindens. Players viably taking the entire team on their back and willing it through guttural urge to persevere, grind it out and win. 

we miss that. In both our coaching staff and in part our roster. Now, Garland, Hogz, Podz, Bo and Miller have shown to have that spark or gear. But there has to be one who shows up every game the same way and is the example. Love Bo and TJ, but they are both prone to being invisible at times.  Is that them, or is that the team culture or coaching effect? I think it’s fair to question.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm not opposed to giving him a chance.  There's a chance he's grown from his experience, and he definitely understands the game and will hold the guys accountable.  A lot of the stuff coming out of Toronto was due to their core players not caring about winning and him trying to get them to put in the work necessary.

Not just Toronto. Lots of stories out of Detroit as well. His mind games. Delusions of grandeur. Look at the petty sh*t he pulled with vets like Modano, Chelios, and Spezza. Lots of accusations from former players. There’s a reason he hasn’t coached the last couple seasons, and it’s not Covid. 

• Vintage 3

1 minute ago, Petey40 said:

I don’t think Pettersson gets any free passes anymore. We all accepted this kind of performance during his ELC cause he was young but now he’s coming off holding out and then signing a big bucks contract and he needs to play like it. 3/4 games with no points and no presence to start the year is unacceptable from your #1 center. He wants to be on a winning team but he needs to help the team win. 

I've been kind of having my doubts about Petey. He's supposed to be our elite #1 Center but he hasn't looked better than a third line center recently.

After that first year I thought he would be our Mackinnon, Matthews, Barkov...etc. but he's looking more lost out there.

He takes too long to make decisions and seems hesitant to shoot when he should be utilizing his shot. 

In short, he seems like he's trying to make that perfect play rather than doing the right thing. 

Maybe Mclennan and co. were right about him on Toronto radio, he's slowly been losing that initial presence that he came with.

I'm not sure if he's going to end up being that elite 90 point potential guy but who knows, he could pull a Mackinnon and explode.

I do hope he picks it up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Not just Toronto. Lots of stories out of Detroit as well. His mind games. Delusions of grandeur. Look at the petty sh*t he pulled with vets like Modano, Chelios, and Spezza. Lots of accusations from former players. There’s a reason he hasn’t coached the last couple seasons, and it’s not Covid. 

I'm aware, but I also think he's able to grow and change.  He's been working at the University of Saskatchewan, so it would be possible to make some calls and see how that's going.

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I've been kind of having my doubts about Petey. He's supposed to be our elite #1 Center but he hasn't looked better than a third line center recently.

After that first year I thought he would be our Mackinnon, Matthews, Barkov...etc. but he's looking more lost out there.

He takes too long to make decisions and seems hesitant to shoot when he should be utilizing his shot. 

In short, he seems like he's trying to make that perfect play rather than doing the right thing. 

Maybe Mclennan and co. were right about him on Toronto radio, he's slowly been losing that initial presence that he came with.

I'm not sure if he's going to end up being that elite 90 point potential guy but who knows, he could pull a Mackinnon and explode.

I really hope he picks it up as well and starts to figure it out. Or else we’re in big trouble and back to searching for a #1C

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

He had an engine close to Hoglanders in his first year and it's been dropping ever since.  I'm really starting to think his early success has gotten to his head. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Or replacing AV with Torts. 
That worked great…

At least he was honest. Basically said we needed to rebuild and what kind of bs were we doing 2 years after he was fired?  Signing guys like Loui Erickson

Just now, shazzam said:

At least he was honest. Basically said we needed to rebuild and what kind of bs were we doing 2 years after he was fired?  Signing guys like Loui Erickson

Torts would have been fine if he would have put in the work necessary and not bolted home to Point Roberts as fast as possible.  Hard to hold your guys accountable when you're putting in the bare minimum.

• Cheers 1

My thoughts that probably won’t please anyone.

As someone who is getting more towards the Fire Green sentiment who was a previous supporter the biggest problem is he’s not the type of coach we need. Saying he’s useless or a bad coach isn’t true, but what is true is that he’s the wrong coach for us right now. Even Green’s detractors have to admit he turned a lot of rookies into bonafide NHL’ers. That’s not an easy thing to do and he did a great job. He was the right coach for us when we were building a team with his structure and defensive minded play. He was creating a foundation of knowledge in the players that can grow over the years. But our needs have changed.

We now have a core built through the draft/trades and we need to start winning games so we can make the playoffs and build chemistry together. Green is not the coach for winning games as even supporters have to admit his in game management and decisions have been terrible and static. So we’re stuck with a good coach in another area of hockey that doesn’t suit our goal to win and get to the playoffs.

If we come back with 2 more losses on the road the pressure will be on and if we come out of our upcoming home stand less then .500 it might be the end of Green. Otherwise I think he gets to 20-30 games and management will decide then whether he’s done enough to continue in the job. I want the Canucks to win, it’s now the time to do so and I hope Green proves me wrong and we go on a streak, but I’m entirely unconvinced he’s right for the needs of our team at this point in the rebuild.