The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

What happened to all the ppl fangirling over Petey morphing into Captain America.?

Goes to show this fanbase will convince themselves of anything.

Peteys good and will get better i hope.  but this current version just looks a waste of space compared to other top centres.  

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Petey plays without the puck at an elite level, which balances his not scoring as many points as some other top centres.  We need to realize the defensive minded centres (who also put up points) are ones who win Cups.  Other than Kucherov, what other top point producing centre wins Cups?  

Kucherovs a winger bro.

Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos, Point, Toews, Bergeron, Kopitar, OReilly.  

Hope petey can develop into one of these.

24 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Kucherovs a winger bro.

Jeez, out of all those players you've pointed out. Point I think is the biggest steal among those players listed. 

If Petey can develop into any one of the players mentioned above, I'd be over the &^@#ing moon. 

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Kucherovs a winger bro.

Other than Crosby, Petey already is at those other guys’ level.  To post otherwise, on our Canuck’s board, is close to fishing.  

• Wat 1

I think a lot of people are taking OP's thread the wrong way. Lots of people are going way back to the draft, what I think OP is talking about was the media pundits (and many fans) making Gretzky and McDavid comparisons during his rookie season when he was skating circles around defenders and making guys fall on their butts. He was explosive, dynamic and unpredictable during his rookie campaign and he just oozed creativity. However, its clear to me that he has been lacking those traits ever since. He is stationary and predictable on the PP, his one-timers are not elite level, he has wiffed on a lot of quality one-timer chances so far and he doesn't seem to have that edge he had during his rookie season.

EP has 156 points in 170 games played for the canucks while JT Miller has 124 points in 127 games played for us. EP has been outscored by a guy everyone thought would be our 3rd line center when we traded for him. Miller has been about a point per game player for us while EP is a little below that. Stats tell me that JT Miller is the best player on the team not EP. Miller throws more hits than EP, he wins more faceoffs than EP, he scores more points than EP and he kills penalties and plays the powerplay and from what I hear is more of a leader than EP. 

I like Petterson, but I see zero argument to be made that he has gotten better since his rookie season, its clear Elias is stagnating and not improving and in such a competitive league that is not good enough. There have been lots of players who start out great in their careers before fading away while there are lots of guys who struggle early in their careers yet eventually became superstars. 

EP still has great skills, he is a great skater, he has a wicked wrister, he is a great passer and he has good vision, but a good player is someone who makes the most of what he has and EP has not done that the last couple years. 

I wonder how much of this however is due to the system Green implements vs how much is EP's own personal struggles.

You might think im being hard on him, but he is the highest paid forward on the team and that's the treatment the highest paid players should get.

Letting your biases towards certain players impact your opinions and criticism's of them is not productive. We need to be honest without ourselves, our team and its players.

EP NEEDS TO BE BETTER! He is the future of this team and frankly, im not seeing him making the necessary progress to became a superstar in this league, the progress that justifies his prominence on the team and within the fan base.

I really hope he starts to turn it around and regain his old form, if he does then this team can go far. 

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Other than Crosby, Petey already is at those other guys’ level.  To post otherwise, on our Canuck’s board, is close to fishing.  

Lol no he isn’t. I get being a homer but he has proven exactly nothing yet. It doesn’t matter where it’s posted. He is a great young player but I have no idea where this overrating of his defensive game is coming from. He isn’t terrible but he is not even close to Selke calibre guys.

• Vintage 4

This reminds me of all the panic we had after Boeser came back from his back injury and wasnt playing the same. People forget about Petterssons season ending wrist injury. This year is slowly getting back into it. Im glad hes not pushing his wrist with big power one timers. He hit those when hes ready. Look at Boeser he found his form again. Pettersson is still young and bone injuries heal.  

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Lol no he isn’t. I get being a homer but he has proven exactly nothing yet. It doesn’t matter where it’s posted. He is a great young player but I have no idea where this overrating of his defensive game is coming from. He isn’t terrible but he is not even close to Selke calibre guys.

Thank you. 

I would give EP more time to judge him. 

Keep in mind he missed the 2nd half of last season and then training camp this year. We should prob give him a little more time to get his timing and used to fast pace of regular season hockey. 

I judged Boeser pretty hard after his back injury. I forgot what we had and was on board with trading him and said things like he's too slow, his 2 way game is terrible etc. 

I actually thought it would be ok to keep Toffoli and trade Boes for Dumba. Dumba? I was being a Dumba lol. 

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I would give EP more time to judge him. 

Keep in mind he missed the 2nd half of last season and then training camp this year. We should prob give him a little more time to get his timing and used to fast pace of regular season hockey. 

I judged Boeser pretty hard after his back injury. I forgot what we had and was on board with trading him and said things like he's too slow, his 2 way game is terrible etc. 

I actually thought it would be ok to keep Toffoli and trade Boes for Dumba. Dumba? I was being a Dumba lol. 

Yeah. That's true. I guess we can come across as judging too quickly. I think EP40 will get his footing and his game going. He's too good not to. Hope he has a good game today against Seattle. Hate those guys already. Ugh. 

What I’d like to see is the Petey of his first year. What he showed then was vision, smarts, talent and hunger. Not things that just go away. Our expectations are warranted.

He didn’t look as incredible and dynamic his second year but it didn’t matter because the lotto line was dominant.

Last year he started off badly and then was injured.

There’s no reason to think he won’t get back to his early play and the trajectory he showed himself to be on.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, McIlhargey the Lesser said:

What I’d like to see is the Petey of his first year. What he showed then was vision, smarts, talent and hunger. Not things that just go away. Our expectations are warranted.

He didn’t look as incredible and dynamic his second year but it didn’t matter because the lotto line was dominant.

Last year he started off badly and then was injured.

There’s no reason to think he won’t get back to his early play and the trajectory he showed himself to be on.

His first year he had i think three 5 point games...that was something wasn't it? It also scewed his stats a little, wasn't the same as he was before too many vowels and Mathewson took him out.  More reserved i thinks.   Teams target him now, he gets all the attention he deserves, same as QHs.    It's pretty safe to say, he won't be winning any Art Ross trophies until his frame fills out more, or we find a Semenko type to play on his wing .... I was hoping that was Gadj... That said he's always going to be good for PPG production.    For reference, the Sedins accomplished what EP has so far, PPG wise, for half of their careers, that's it.     With some longevity - which is also in doubt, the Sedins were a lot of things including very durable, for sure he could surpass them career wise.    I'm looking forward to what his 26-32 years look like.   Maybe he's this generations Kovalev lol...that would be ok (however frustrating) too. 

Edit:  Would anyone be surprised if he had a couple multi-point games and jumped to the front of the team leaderboard?   I wouldn't.   Also last season he was just fine, had a lot of scoring chances and kept hitting posts, it also took some time to get into a groove (which he did his final 14 games or so).   It's extremely rare that a rookie like him peaks his first season.   Selanne and Gomez are the only ones i can think of.   And Selanne was a top player his entire career. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Me_ said:

This thread is still useless.

Obviously it started out pretty badly and it's movement is a tad predictable but if it fills out and find it's stride it could turn a few heads. I'm expecting fairly sporadic production but if it can average out at 0.5 posts per day over it's career I can see this thread eventually getting hauled into the rafters alongside Burrows? Do We Really Need Him?

I'm probably overrating our prospects and shouldn't be drawing such comparisons so early in it's career. I guess I'm just a massive homer.

Go Thread Go!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  Would anyone be surprised if he had a couple multi-point games and jumped to the front of the team leaderboard?   I wouldn't.   Also last season he was just fine, had a lot of scoring chances and kept hitting posts, it also took some time to get into a groove (which he did his final 14 games or so).   It's extremely rare that a rookie like him peaks his first season.   Selanne and Gomez are the only ones i can think of.   And Selanne was a top player his entire career. 

Hmmm...  There aren't many that spring to mind but...  Joe Juneau.  Darryl Sutter had 40 goals his first year.  Eric Vail.  Mikael Renberg.  Remember Kjell Dahlin and Warren Young?  Or good old Steve Bozek.

You could argue Joe Nieuwendyk's rookie season was his best.  Or Willi Plett.  Or Jason Arnott.  Or Sylvain Turgeon and Mark Pavelich, both had three equal years to start and then fell off.

It is still definitely the vast minority of rookies though.  A bit more common with goalies...  Binnington, Raycroft...  Barrasso perhaps.  And Roger Crozier...won 40 games in his rookie year back when there were no shootouts or three point games and a shorter season.  Troy Gamble and Corey Hirsch.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

44 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hmmm...  There aren't many that spring to mind but...  Joe Juneau.  Darryl Sutter had 40 goals his first year.  Eric Vail.  Mikael Renberg.  Remember Kjell Dahlin and Warren Young?  Or good old Steve Bozek.

You could argue Joe Nieuwendyk's rookie season was his best.  Or Willi Plett.  Or Jason Arnott.  Or Sylvain Turgeon and Mark Pavelich, both had three equal years to start and then fell off.

It is still definitely the vast minority of rookies though.  A bit more common with goalies...  Binnington, Raycroft...  Barrasso perhaps.  And Roger Crozier...won 40 games in his rookie year back when there were no shootouts or three point games and a shorter season.  Troy Gamble and Corey Hirsch.

Yes i keep the goalies separate...seen that often enough.   Or the Carey show a little while later or what's his name who won the Vezina and Hart not too far back for MTL and faded into the history books  (not rookies)....not terribly worried about EP ... think he's maybe Kovalev but definitely not Scott Gomez.   He's also not Selanne. 

Edit:  More concerned about Demko then EP.   Because is he Matt Murray... or Binnington ... or that guy a few years back i don't even remember his name who played in OTT and went on a 22ish unbeaten streak to start his career.   Plays the most important spot.   So far he's done ok/decently.    Proving he's a legit number one under fire.   EP bet on himself which i actually admire.   Im pretty confident he will make it work.   And it's not like he's playing with chumps when the lotto line is the one iced either. 

Edit:  Steve Bozek.  Yes i remember him lol...Arnott was pretty good his entire career ... 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Yes i keep the goalies separate...seen that often enough.   Or the Carey show a little while later or what's his name who won the Vezina and Hart not too far back for MTL and faded into the history books  (not rookies)....not terribly worried about EP ... think he's maybe Kovalev but definitely not Scott Gomez.   He's also not Selanne. 

Edit:  More concerned about Demko then EP.   Because is he Matt Murray... or Binnington ... or that guy a few years back i don't even remember his name who played in OTT and went on a 22ish unbeaten streak to start his career.   Plays the most important spot.   So far he's done ok/decently.    Proving he's a legit number one under fire.   EP bet on himself which i actually admire.   Im pretty confident he will make it work.   And it's not like he's playing with chumps when the lotto line is the one iced either. 

Edit:  Steve Bozek.  Yes i remember him lol...Arnott was pretty good his entire career ... 

Montreal goalie you're thinking of was Jose Theodore, Ottawa goalie was Andrew Hammond