The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

They don't. The mediocrity is achieved by dealing present assets for future wealth. That's augmenting a poor start, with many key pieces now missing.

So in other words they are rebuilding but not saying they are. Not tanking 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

So in other words they are rebuilding but not saying they are. Not tanking 

To be wrapped up in these re-words is akin to splitting hairs. Any deal between teams is either addressing the future or the present(& sometimes both).

As mentioned 5-7 posts back, the Habs have a pretty good incentive to not finish in the #11-16(1st rd picking) spot, as they'd lose that pick. So starting Oct with a depleted lineup, then selling at the TDL is not so far-fetched.

I felt the reference to Ottawa(original post) was worthwhile. The impressive haul they'd landed for EK was likely influenced by his otherworldly 2017 PO-aura. Should Mtl sell, many GM's just saw a good showing from several of their skaters.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

To be wrapped up in these re-words is akin to splitting hairs. Any deal between teams is either addressing the future or the present(& sometimes both).

As mentioned 5-7 posts back, the Habs have a pretty good incentive to not finish in the #11-16(1st rd picking) spot, as they'd lose that pick. So starting Oct with a depleted lineup, then selling at the TDL is not so far-fetched.

I felt the reference to Ottawa(original post) was worthwhile. The impressive haul they'd landed for EK was likely influenced by his otherworldly 2017 PO-aura. Should Mtl sell, many GM's just saw a good showing from several of their skaters.

Your logic makes no sense.  If a high draft pick was third ultimate goal they never would have sent a 1st to Carolina to get a 2C in Dvorak.  They could have run with what they had run in their system rather than having to perpetrate some elaborate hoax by holding out key players.  Montreal has had some poor luck with regards to the players they lost and they haven’t adequately replaced them. That said they’re better than their record indicates. Their forwards will start scoring. Only scoring 3 in 4 games isn’t going to continue all season 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Your logic makes no sense.  If a high draft pick was third ultimate goal they never would have sent a 1st to Carolina to get a 2C in Dvorak.  They could have run with what they had run in their system rather than having to perpetrate some elaborate hoax by holding out key players.  Montreal has had some poor luck with regards to the players they lost and they haven’t adequately replaced them. That said they’re better than their record indicates. Their forwards will start scoring. Only scoring 3 in 4 games isn’t going to continue all season 

Can you clarify that 2nd sentence? I'm referring to the Kotka/Canes 1st(compensation for offer sheet) that was possibly sent to the desert.

3 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can you clarify that 2nd sentence? I'm referring to the Kotka/Canes 1st(compensation for offer sheet) that was possibly sent to the desert.

If Montreal is only interested in tanking they never would have traded for Dvorak.  They would have kept both 1sts they had and went into the season with the players they had.  They intended to compete.  A poor start doesn’t suddenly mean they had a secret agenda to tank. 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

If Montreal is only interested in tanking they never would have traded for Dvorak.  They would have kept both 1sts they had and went into the season with the players they had.  They intended to compete.  A poor start doesn’t suddenly mean they had a secret agenda to tank. 

It's a fair point, & the timing of these things must've lead to much discussion amongst the Mtl fanbase. Then there was the controversial 1st rd pick, ED, Price & Weber questions..it's not like MB could sleep through the summer.

My guess is they sat on the fence(equating Dvorak's ability as = or > Kotka), & they accepted the scenario. Then made 2 gameplans for Oct-TDL, depending upon their start.

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

It's a fair point, & the timing of these things must've lead to much discussion amongst the Mtl fanbase. Then there was the controversial 1st rd pick, ED, Price & Weber questions..it's not like MB could sleep through the summer.

My guess is they sat on the fence(equating Dvorak's ability as = or > Kotka), & they accepted the scenario. Then made 2 gameplans for Oct-TDL, depending upon their start.

Ideally they would have kept Kotkaniemi. But he’s not remotely worth $6.1m. Once they decided not to match the Dvorak move was a no brainer.  He’s a better player than Kotkaniemi atm.  

They tried to mitigate the loss of Weber with the Savard signing.  It hasn’t worked out so far. 

They were caught off guard by the Price situation (as evidenced by them having to grab a goalie off waivers to back up Allen) 

Edmundson is in the middle of a terrible family crisis (that again Bergevin couldn’t have predicted). 

None of this is by design. Bergevin is in the last year of his contract and the last thing he needs is a tire fire of a team.  Things happen. In his press conference today he preached patience.  I’d be willing to bet most teams in the league will go through a 4 game losing streak this season. Montreal is just doing it at a very bad time 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Are they taking a page from the Sens' playbook? Granted it's very early, but feel this is a fair question.

No. They are just bad. A team that makes it to the Stanley Cup final one year does not tank the next in some weird attempt at a high draft pick knowing there is little to zero chance they get it.

GMs and Coaches in that situation don't tank as they could lose their jobs.

No. The premise of this post if severely flawed and the Montreal Canadians are not purposely tanking lmao.

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

I think it's unlikely Molson is hoping for his team to lose, and have another year of poor revenues after the covid season..

Lol.  Like the Laughs, the Habs could be the worst team in the league and fans would pack their arena.    In TO some games there are 50-60k outside watching the game.   That's how massive their fanbases are.    For sure TO could have two or maybe three teams, and still sell out every game. 

6 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Ideally they would have kept Kotkaniemi. But he’s not remotely worth $6.1m. Once they decided not to match the Dvorak move was a no brainer.  He’s a better player than Kotkaniemi atm.  

They tried to mitigate the loss of Weber with the Savard signing.  It hasn’t worked out so far. 

They were caught off guard by the Price situation (as evidenced by them having to grab a goalie off waivers to back up Allen) 

Edmundson is in the middle of a terrible family crisis (that again Bergevin couldn’t have predicted). 

None of this is by design. Bergevin is in the last year of his contract and the last thing he needs is a tire fire of a team.  Things happen. In his press conference today he preached patience.  I’d be willing to bet most teams in the league will go through a 4 game losing streak this season. Montreal is just doing it at a very bad time 

Bergy destroyed all the capital he gained last year by signed Suzuki to that ridiculous deal and drafting a guy with issues...

44 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bergy destroyed all the capital he gained last year by signed Suzuki to that ridiculous deal and drafting a guy with issues...

The Suzuki deal has been pretty universally lauded as a great signing. I have zero issue with it

10 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Oh relax, no one's suggested his father's poor health wasn't true. To simply stop arguing with people & labeling(on-line) offensively would prob serve your ticker well.

There's nothing to debate. Just felt like making a thread, predicting the Habs WILL finish bottom-10. Should they dial it back with a watered-down lineup, the world keeps turning. I don't mind stating such a prediction for future reflection. Makes sport more interesting.

I totally agree the Habs will finish bottom 11.  Their young guys, especially Cole (the not so Mighty Mouse) Caufield are just bad.  If Caufield isn’t putting up points what else can he contribute?  Romanov should be learning in the AHL.  I do like Suzuki though.  At least he can play defensively.  

Is Tofoli injured?  He sure looks slow.  

Montreal doesn't have the benefit of playing in an easy division this year. Now they are without several key players from last year.

Not a tank, but rather a tough start. There's still enough talent there (once they get going) to push higher in the standings, but I don't think they surpass TBL, FLA, BOS, and TOR.

6 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Montreal doesn't have the benefit of playing in an easy division this year. Now they are without several key players from last year.

Not a tank, but rather a tough start. There's still enough talent there (once they get going) to push higher in the standings, but I don't think they surpass TBL, FLA, BOS, and TOR.

Are the Habs as good as Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit?  They will definitely be close to (if not) last in their division.  

• Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Are the Habs as good as Ottawa, Buffalo, and Detroit?  They will definitely be close to (if not) last in their division.  

On paper yes, but they certainly could finish last in the division if they don't get it together.

Especially if Buffalo remains perfect, which is somehow a thing :lol:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I totally agree the Habs will finish bottom 11.  Their young guys, especially Cole (the not so Mighty Mouse) Caufield are just bad.  If Caufield isn’t putting up points what else can he contribute?  Romanov should be learning in the AHL.  I do like Suzuki though.  At least he can play defensively.  

Is Tofoli injured?  He sure looks slow.  

Oh look. Another derogatory nickname.  You must be a big Trump fan with how you love to belittle people with nicknames 

• Cheers 1