The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Well, there ya go. A few posters got their back up on page 1, but this prediction holds plenty of water.

2nd last in league, with 27 gp already?! Hmm...

Vancouver also purposefully tanking?   Remove Demko and they would probably give Montreal a run for 2nd to last.  

Losing Price and Weber created a huge hole.  Jake Allen had to take time off a few times when in St Louis because he struggled with the pressure of being the starter.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Vancouver also purposefully tanking?   Remove Demko and they would probably give Montreal a run for 2nd to last.  

Losing Price and Weber created a huge hole.  Jake Allen had to take time off a few times when in St Louis because he struggled with the pressure of being the starter.

Whatever the details..matters not.

In Oct I simply called a Habs, bottom-10 finish. Tell me I was WRONG :^)

As for Van, on Oct 13th I put my season prediction in a separate thread. There's plenty of detail in it(on the 11th page of Canucks Talk currently, I believe?)

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

As for Van, on Oct 13th I put my season prediction in a separate thread. There's plenty of detail in it(on the 11th page of Canucks Talk currently, I believe?)

The details actually do matter.  Montreal currently has over $54m worth of players out due to injury or covid.  They haven’t iced a healthy lineup a single game this year.  

FEAEC7B8-A268-4041-B3CF-46407C2B0EEE.jpeg

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The Habs should send Caufield back to the minors.  He’s got to learn to play without the puck, or he’s going to only continue to hurt his team.  

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Habs should send Caufield back to the minors.  He’s got to learn to play without the puck, or he’s going to only continue to hurt his team.  

is he going to be the next Galchenyuk? (tiny edition)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

On the Boobtube is Tony Marinaro's(epi: 103) "The Sick Podcast" with Norm Flynn, a seemingly competent hockey analyst/journo

They are ALL-IN , hard selling the heavy tank. Reduced to cliches like "playing the right way". Marinaro even sporting garb that promotes the hard tank. It's a debacle out there in Quebec..with them Habs looking like our angle, way back,perhaps circa 2015?!

Question now appears are the Habs angling to actually limbo BELOW the depths of the diseased, desert dogs?!! Stay tuned boppers...

On 10/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, Devron44 said:

How does a team collectively get together and try to lose. I don’t get that. Nor do I understand why an athlete could. A game here and there where a player is just not feeling it sure but to try and not win doesn’t compute.

I don't think athletes do. But I think managers and owners can, by keeping guys out....................

So, I think it works like this......

Player A has a bad wrist that will never be completely healed until surgery and a lengthy rehab. The player is placed on LTIR and insurance pays for his salary.........

Then the question is, can he do more damage by playing? well yes! But the manager says, well, we will keep him off until there is no chance of further injury............ 

The player then looks at it and he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I think it is done like that........so there for no pressure to return by the club

Works really well, if the guy is getting close to retiring like Weber

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I don't think athletes do. But I think managers and owners can, by keeping guys out....................

Player A has a bad wrist that will never be completely healed until surgery and a lengthy rehab. The player is placed on LTIR and insurance pays for his salary.........

Then the question is, can he do more damage by playing? well yes! But the manager says, well, we will keep him off until there is no chance of further injury............ 

The player then looks at it and he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I think it is done like that........so there for no pressure to return by the club

I agree with you management can for sure tank. Arizona is a prime example as well. As is Seattle with their expansion picks.

I think that’s where the confusion sets in as I think whatever players you ice are going to give it their best most nights. Players may have off nights but no one it out there to try and lose. 

That’s been irritating in past years when lottery nuts get mad about wins late in the season when playoffs are out of sight. Players still have pride and wins feel good at the end of the day for them anyway 

32 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I agree with you management can for sure tank. Arizona is a prime example as well. As is Seattle with their expansion picks.

I think that’s where the confusion sets in as I think whatever players you ice are going to give it their best most nights. Players may have off nights but no one it out there to try and lose. 

That’s been irritating in past years when lottery nuts get mad about wins late in the season when playoffs are out of sight. Players still have pride and wins feel good at the end of the day for them anyway 

LOL

I am one of those lottery nuts

But!

I never say the players would ever take a night off

But!

Who the GM provides the coach with , matters

Example would be, a GM wanting his prospects to play

or a player being given a maintenance day or 2

Again, I think it is easy enough for a GM to do

LOL.......sorry if I have been irritating

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

LOL

I am one of those lottery nuts

But!

I never say the players would ever take a night off

But!

Who the GM provides the coach with , matters

Example would be, a GM wanting his prospects to play

or a player being given a maintenance day or 2

Again, I think it is easy enough for a GM to do

LOL.......sorry if I have been irritating

It’s all good! I still like to see the morale of players up and see them hit personal goals.

I remember back when Demko played his first game and got the W. Lots of people were upset cause we won. Near the end of the season of course. I couldn’t believe it. I was like what? The man just won his first NHL game. Now he’s one of the best goalies in the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

That's cool, JIHN..but had you uttered such sentiments like I did back in Oct? Well Hell hath no fury like these Hab-fans scorned! Made my predictions, then spent perhaps 2 pages of thread hosing water on flaming outbursts! :^)

Anywho, they are damn-well right in ensuring this catastrophe is a bottom-10, dive-bomb. They sorely neeed to keep their lower 1st r pick. Send the high one to the desert.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 6:06 AM, Alflives said:

Why are the Habs playing Caufield?  He should be in the minors.  He’s way too small, weak, and playing scared.  

That's simple. It's because...

On 10/20/2021 at 6:47 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Caufield looks like the real deal.

person-cashier-draws-on-cash-with-marker-thingy-and-joke-s-tegit-printed-earlier-today.jpeg

• Haha 2

I mean, if you're gonna be in the bottom-10, then might as well be last. Especially with the draft in Montreal.

They have so many injuries, it's ridiculous. But not a lot of organizational depth. A team than were trying to win would have made some trades to shore things up, but why bother? 

They're going to have a lot of picks at this draft. They already have 11, and will likely get a 1st for Ben Chiarot. They might end moving a guy with term as well, like Toffoli or Gallagher. 

• Haha 1