The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So Montreal hires Kent Hughes as General Manager. I hope he can draft better than Gilis did. Montreal is going to need some young, talented (and cheap) players. 

I wonder if Montreal's GM list was even remotely like Vancouver's? 

Probably bot considering the #1 requirement for that job is to speak French. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

So Montreal hires Kent Hughes as General Manager. I hope he can draft better than Gilis did. Montreal is going to need some young, talented (and cheap) players. 

I wonder if Montreal's GM list was even remotely like Vancouver's? 

He’ll be working closely with Gorton and will hit the ground running with a very high 1st round pick this year along with at least 10 more picks in this years draft 

• Cheers 1

Appears they have a number of players returning from injury. The last thing they need is to start going on a run now - would expect this new GM to start shipping out vets, pdq

Meanwhile, the east has a Grand Canyon gap between the 8 haves & nots.. lousy market there. Expect Mtl to send players to Edm, Winn or Cal teams, perhaps?

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Given the state of affairs in Mtl, it would have solved many of Canucks issues going forward had The Habs offer sheeted EP 40 and surrendered 4 1st rounders. 

Don’t think that EP would have done much to improve the Habs place in the standings this year. ;)

No team is going to surrender 4 1sts for any player not named McDavid 

On 1/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, Alflives said:

Are the Habs just really REALLY bad, or are they tanking?  They have no even decent young players, and no prospects of any quality.  This tank is going to last a long time.  :lol:

We should follow habs lead come 2023 draft year! Tank real bad lol! get rid of all our dead end contracts by the spring time 2023. And we’re set for a chance at hometown phenom Connor Bedard! Canucks finally winning a #1 draft pick! Can u Image that! Petey, Hughes, Demko, Boeser, Podz, Hoglander & Horvat! One can only wish! Frick I’d be happiest man alive! 

On 2/14/2022 at 3:14 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

In Oct it was speculative - well now it's official.

Sure. Ignore the fact that they’ve had 430+ man games missed this season and have HAD to dress an AHL lineup with a 3rd or 5th string goalie for more than half the games. And yeah. It was all a clever plan.  

Crap went off the rails this year. Now they’re cutting bait.  Thst doesn’t mean it was the plan all along.  

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Sure. Ignore the fact that they’ve had 430+ man games missed this season and have HAD to dress an AHL lineup with a 3rd or 5th string goalie for more than half the games. And yeah. It was all a clever plan.  

Crap went off the rails this year. Now they’re cutting bait.  Thst doesn’t mean it was the plan all along.  

Well, it already appeared abysmal to me wayy back in Oct. Looked like Bergevin was on the disco floor(in flashy Travolta suit) but unfortunately was wearing only 1 shoe. Possibly had a few too many?..

What seems even funnier now is it's almost like he & JB(apparently not buds) choreographed their drunken dance moves, in real time.

Seems they both got the bum's rush out the door, in synch.

The difference?

MB committed more $/term to immediate help - thus he could squeeze in 1 last run.

JB was more all over the place, with his misguided moves. But at least he laid a great foundation with key youth at every important position.

32 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Also btw, I listened to Marinaro's show(couple wks back) & that Brendan Kelly(Gazette journo?) put it succinctly. He said they hadn't really built an offensive-engine, type team, since their last one sputtered out in the early 80's. I really agree with this, as I was an avid Habs-maniac in my youth(family had come from out east, was somewhat inherited).

They were so fun to watch back in that last heyday..seems ever since then it's been a succession of rather bland "responsible" type, 2-way players.

Like the guys they brought in to run things, & would say this is a great opportunity to once again build a roster that plays with fire & passion. Of course, it'll all come down to the drafting & development. In the end I cheer on for good teams in all Cdn markets, except perhaps, the town of Hogs...

The plot thickens? These past few games, they aren't playing like the last OA team. Climbing out of a bottom-10 finish would be rather disastrous(due to the Dvorak deal).

Seems to provide the GM with extra incentive to move out more bodies.

Btw, if Van could acquire Jake Evans, think he's an impressive add.

10 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The plot thickens? These past few games, they aren't playing like the last OA team. Climbing out of a bottom-10 finish would be rather disastrous(due to the Dvorak deal).

Seems to provide the GM with extra incentive to move out more bodies.

Btw, if Van could acquire Jake Evans, think he's an impressive add.

They’re 27 points behind the 10th place team.  They’re not going to fall out of the top 10.  Also. Evans was just extended. He’s signed for another 3 seasons after this one to an affordable deal.  He’s the kind of piece they’ll keep through the rebuild 

Edited by qwijibo

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

They’re 27 points behind the 10th place team.  They’re not going to fall out of the top 10.  

8 or 9 from the bottom(in case the lotto goes wrong) is a line they shouldn't trifle with. It's about 16, 17 pts(NYI, Chi) at this point.

edit: Only 15 pts from there, after winning today vs Laffs

Edited by Nuxfanabroad