The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is MTL Purposefully Tanking?

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I don't see Dach being that much of an improvement. I think Ottawa passes the Habs this season.

Oh for sure.  Habs were last overall.  They’ve been passed by everyone.  It’s just the shear stupidity of passing on a sure top two centre to take a guy with serious bustaroo potential.  Then the trade giving up their best D (who is only 21) for a guy who is already busting.  Incredibly stupid.  Habs fans must be suffering. 

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

I don't see Dach being that much of an improvement. I think Ottawa passes the Habs this season.

It’s not just the lineup changes.  Montreal set a record for man games lost last season at 731. They had to dress 43 different players.  That’s 2 completely different teams. They lost an estimated 33 points due to injuries.  

A healthier team combined with the lineup changes and a full year under MSL should yield a much better result.  I’m not convinced they’ll be a playoff team. But they should be much improved.  

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s not just the lineup changes.  Montreal set a record for man games lost last season at 731. They had to dress 43 different players.  That’s 2 completely different teams. They lost an estimated 33 points due to injuries.  

A healthier team combined with the lineup changes and a full year under MSL should yield a much better result.  I’m not convinced they’ll be a playoff team. But they should be much improved.  

No excuses. Cup final to beating out a team who actively tries to add all the worst talent they can in AZ for LAST the following year. Now they trade the only young defender, The hits and shot blocks leader on the team 5foot9:lol:

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

No excuses. Cup final to beating out a team who actively tries to add all the worst talent they can in AZ for LAST the following year. Now they trade the only young defender, The hits and shot blocks leader on the team 5foot9:lol:

Habs moves today are eithe the stupidest ever or they are tanking for Bedard.  

1 hour ago, Mustard Tiger said:

No excuses?  Canucks fans have been blaming missing the playoffs on Green all season.  The things I mentioned were legitimate issues this past season.

Also, Romanov is far from their only young defender.  They have several guys ready to step in. Guhle, Barron, Harris, Norlinder and Xhekaj. 

Guhle and Xhekaj are both big and very physical 

Edited by qwijibo

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

No excuses?  Canucks fans have been blaming missing the playoffs on Green all season.  The things I mentioned were legitimate issues this past season.

Also, Romanov is far from their only young defender.  They have several guys ready to step in. Guhle, Barron, Harris, Norlinder and Xhekaj. 

Guhle and Xhekaj are both big and very physical 

Magic beans vs a real player leading multiple key statistics on the NHL team. Again 2nd best to last? No excuse. We have been a bottom feeder not a team in the Cup final recently lmao what a weird comparison 

6 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Magic beans vs a real player leading multiple key statistics on the NHL team. Again 2nd best to last? No excuse. We have been a bottom feeder not a team in the Cup final recently lmao what a weird comparison 

How would Vancouver have fared this season under green without Pettersson and Demko for the entire season?  Then add another 500 man ganes lost on top of that. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

2 minutes for reaching!

How is that not a valid comparison? Montreal lost Price and Weber from their cup run.  They had a long stretch where they were down to their 3rd, 4th and 5th string goalies.

Add the brutal coaching thst saw Caufield score 1 goal in 25 games before his production shot up under MSL.  

Like it or not Montreal got hit by some terrible circumstances. None of it by design. 

• Upvote 1

Gotta say, I like these moves(mostly) that Hughes went for. Habs got 2-3 yrs of onerous vet contracts to work through; but most of the ugliest work is now behind them.

By 2024-25 they should be back as a serious PO-presence. Timeline appears very similar to the Wings & Sabs.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:51 PM, Alflives said:

Slafkovsky is Wickenheiser.  Passed on a Savard level player for a bustaroo.  Then gave up their number one (21 year old) D for another bustaroo in Dach.  The Habs sure are going backwards.  

Actually Alf, see it the opposite. Slaf is more the 'artsy' pick, although his bod is nothing resembling lil' Denis Savard. Wright seems more of the Wickenheiser mold, of solid, supposedly 'responsible' fwd.

Y'gotta like a kid with the potential nickname, Slafs-quatch! :^) lol

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can't help wondering, would Mtl accept PLD for Suzuki, straight-up? Be interesting if they then signed him to an identical contract

I would hope not.  PLD can be lazy and entitled.  Suzuki never takes a shift off.  He’s likely their next captain.  I know who I’d rather have.