The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Flying Skate Jersey Could be Making a Comeback

Rate this topic

Me_

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I know you followed the WHL Canucks too. Do you like the idea of Johnny Canuck jerseys for that reason as well or no?

IMO even the Johnny Canuck logo would make more sense than this Orca logo. I think Canucks are the only sport team in the league where their logo doesnt match their name or is not even related to the name. For example how funny would it be to have the name lightening and then have an alligator as the logo? Or Ducks team that has a sea lion as the logo? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

A logo doesn't have to do with a team name.  Buffalo for the longest time didn't have a Sabre.  The Habs, Rangers, Capitals don't have a logo that represents the team name.  If you wanted something to do with the Canucks name, the only thing you could do is slap Johnny Canuck on as the logo.  A skate does not represent our team name at all.

Now to the bolded part.  The Orca is part of our culture of people here in the Pacific Northwest.  Our Canucks are only represented here in this part of the country, why would we want to try and represent people from Alberta and East of us?  The orca is a symbol we use here on the West Coast.  That is the reason why that corporation had orca in its name to begin with.  The Orca has infinitely more representation of us from BC, than a skate which is such a generic hockey logo, that it is probably what several teams use as a logo in peewee hockey.  Actually, if you think about it long enough, the logo sounds so amateurish for a professional hockey team to use.  The Vancouver Flying Skates.  Yes, that sounds like a peewee team for sure.  Actually, I believe that was a team name in my younger brother's peewee league.

If the logo is representing the place where our team is from then the team name is too general for that. I would agree with you if it was Vancouver Orcas. The Habs, Rangers and Capitals are all using letters to represent there logos. Canucks are using a picture of an orca which is not a good representation of the team name. The skate logo is not that bad and it is related to the name Canucks. If you want our team to be recognized for the place where the they come from then the name should be changed. Having color scheme, logo and name to represent different things or all be unrelated creates confusion. Like the symbol being an animal, color representing a place and the name representing a nationality. If Canucks means Canadians then the colorway for that is red and white like Montreal Canadiens. If the symbol is an Orca then the name should represent that or at least come close to being related to Orca symbol like Seattle Krakens. If the color scheme is green and blue then the name should connect to that color scheme. Problem is all three are so unrelated and mean different things that it doesnt make for a strong branding.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

What about the rangers colouring with the Canucks words on it 

The Rangers colouring was something I liked at the time because of the relationship we had with the Rangers. The word "Canucks" on the uni's was okay but it was really the logo that I liked.

9 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Quick google of a recoloured skate as it’s been done so many times by fans brings back the below.

I don’t  mind then, but to me a third jersey should be the chance for something a bit different not just same as the current 

51DCB188-1623-407C-970E-7B3AC7F31460.jpeg

HAHA I love what it says in the inner collar of the jersey...hasn't anyone noticed yet?? "F" Messier ...lol love it

12 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

The Orca looks sharp but what does it have to do with the name "Canucks"?? There is a huge disconnect there. I will say that they will not be changing the logo anytime soon

Beats me honestly. I always found it kind of random. 

I think if Orca Bay wasn't associated with the Canucks and pretty much pushed for that corporate logo, then I wouldn't have preconceived thoughts about the Orca whale.

We are a city in the Pacific Northwest where Orca whales are prevalent.

Whenever you board the ferry, you have a good chance of spotting some in the summer. Not to mention our goal horn is based off the of ferry horns so that's pretty cool.

The flying skate design is cool to me though. I love how its a simple skate but the blade is shaped out as "Canucks". I do believe that if we win the cup with this current logo, more people will look favourably upon this one. 

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Beats me honestly. I always found it kind of random. 

I think if Orca Bay wasn't associated with the Canucks and pretty much pushed for that corporate logo, then I wouldn't have preconceived thoughts about the Orca whale.

We are a city in the Pacific Northwest where Orca whales are prevalent.

Whenever you board the ferry, you have a good chance of spotting some in the summer. Not to mention our goal horn is based off the of ferry horns so that's pretty cool.

The flying skate design is cool to me though. I love how its a simple skate but the blade is shaped out as "Canucks". I do believe that if we win the cup with this current logo, more people will look favourably upon this one. 

Honestly its not about the history of each logo or nostalgia you had when you were a kid. Its just simply the team name doesnt match the team logo. Even if we won the cup with this logo, it still wouldnt make it a good logo that matches the team. The person that came up with that corporate logo of orca had only one thing in mind, how to put their company logo on Canucks jersey. This is really the main reason why I dont like the logo. 

4 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

A logo doesn't have to do with a team name.  Buffalo for the longest time didn't have a Sabre.  The Habs, Rangers, Capitals don't have a logo that represents the team name.  If you wanted something to do with the Canucks name, the only thing you could do is slap Johnny Canuck on as the logo.  A skate does not represent our team name at all.

Now to the bolded part.  The Orca is part of our culture of people here in the Pacific Northwest.  Our Canucks are only represented here in this part of the country, why would we want to try and represent people from Alberta and East of us?  The orca is a symbol we use here on the West Coast.  That is the reason why that corporation had orca in its name to begin with.  The Orca has infinitely more representation of us from BC, than a skate which is such a generic hockey logo, that it is probably what several teams use as a logo in peewee hockey.  Actually, if you think about it long enough, the logo sounds so amateurish for a professional hockey team to use.  The Vancouver Flying Skates.  Yes, that sounds like a peewee team for sure.  Actually, I believe that was a team name in my younger brother's peewee league.

59 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

If the logo is representing the place where our team is from then the team name is too general for that. I would agree with you if it was Vancouver Orcas. The Habs, Rangers and Capitals are all using letters to represent there logos. Canucks are using a picture of an orca which is not a good representation of the team name. The skate logo is not that bad and it is related to the name Canucks. If you want our team to be recognized for the place where the they come from then the name should be changed. Having color scheme, logo and name to represent different things or all be unrelated creates confusion. Like the symbol being an animal, color representing a place and the name representing a nationality. If Canucks means Canadians then the colorway for that is red and white like Montreal Canadiens. If the symbol is an Orca then the name should represent that or at least come close to being related to Orca symbol like Seattle Krakens. If the color scheme is green and blue then the name should connect to that color scheme. Problem is all three are so unrelated and mean different things that it doesnt make for a strong branding.

A logo should always represent the team name and/or the sport. That's why I'm a huge Johnny Canuck supporter. However, I also love and appreciate the simple elegance of the original Stick in Rink and the creative dynamics of the Flying Skate. I love both the original/current BC-themed colours and the black, red and yellow. The red adds a Canadian flavour to the latter colour scheme and the yellow can be interpreted as the sun setting on our BC coast.

I do feel that we need to stick with the blue(perhaps a vibrant navy instead of royal) and green look. We can't keep jumping back-and-forth between colour schemes. That's why I am fully open to a recoloured Skate (and leveled) if designed right. It would be a great way to unite all the eras in Canucks history.

My only dealbreakers are the corporately-inspired Orca and the bastardized Stick in Rink. Even Johnny Canuck's head trapped in the V looks awkward. The bland Agency font needs to go too.

19 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The Canucks have been around for over 50 years.  They had the flying skate logo for around 15 of those years, less than a third of it, but had 2 of their 3 trips to the Cup Final wearing it.  There was little reason to change it and I don't think people who actually like it will start complaining about it if they get it.

Well technically 1982 was the Flying V look. So in theory we've had 3 different jerseys on 3 different cup runs. 

I think it's just because Black is something that doesn't go out of fashion. 

The Skate itself and colours are ugly.

I think its a symptom of a very bi-polar fan base. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Well technically 1982 was the Flying V look. So in theory we've had 3 different jerseys on 3 different cup runs. 

I think it's just because Black is something that doesn't go out of fashion. 

The Skate itself and colours are ugly.

I think its a symptom of a very bi-polar fan base. 

The Canucks logo in 1982 and the preceding few years was the flying skate and it was on the arms.

41f3ln41QuL._AC_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The Canucks logo in 1982 and the preceding few years was the flying skate and it was on the arms.

41f3ln41QuL._AC_.jpg

I would argue it's on the arm, not the chest. The Flying V is the main part of the Jersey. The mid-to late 80's was when the downhill skate was the main logo.

Ei4P4OGUMAA1HiU.jpg

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

A logo should always represent the team name and/or the sport. That's why I'm a huge Johnny Canuck supporter. However, I also love and appreciate the simple elegance of the original Stick in Rink and the creative dynamics of the Flying Skate. I love both the original/current BC-themed colours and the black, red and yellow. The red adds a Canadian flavour to the latter colour scheme and the yellow can be interpreted as the sun setting on our BC coast.

I do feel that we need to stick with the blue(perhaps a vibrant navy instead of royal) and green look. We can't keep jumping back-and-forth between colour schemes. That's why I am fully open to a recoloured Skate (and leveled) if designed right. It would be a great way to unite all the eras in Canucks history.

My only dealbreakers are the corporately-inspired Orca and the bastardized Stick in Rink. Even Johnny Canuck's head trapped in the V looks awkward. The bland Agency font needs to go too.

Nonsense. Look at the leagues primary logos and count the ones with a reference to hockey. Then count the ones with a direct reference to where they play. Where they play wins in a landslide. The score = Where reference - 15, Sport reference - 4. You could add 6 more to the where total due to the team name being chosen to fit where the team plays (Hurricanes, Lightning, Senators and Predators). Obviously a logo representing where the team plays is far more important to NHL teams than indicating the sport played is.

Just now, Baggins said:

Nonsense. Look at the leagues primary logos and count the ones with a reference to hockey. Then count the ones with a direct reference to where they play. Where they play wins in a landslide. The score = Where reference - 15, Sport reference - 4. You could add 6 more to the where total due to the team name being chosen to fit where the team plays (Hurricanes, Lightning, Senators and Predators). Obviously a logo representing where the team plays is far more important to NHL teams than indicating the sport played is.

So other teams have stupid logos and colours that make no sense so we should too?  Our city is known for the beautiful blue ocean, the green treed hills, and the white snow peaked mountains.  Sure let’s have a red, brown, and orange team sweater.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

IMO even the Johnny Canuck logo would make more sense than this Orca logo. I think Canucks are the only sport team in the league where their logo doesnt match their name or is not even related to the name. For example how funny would it be to have the name lightening and then have an alligator as the logo? Or Ducks team that has a sea lion as the logo? 

hmmm...let me get a list of the big leagues outside of the NHL where their logo doesn't match their name.  Houston Texans, Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints (why the hell do they have a fleur de lis?), Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers, New York Giants, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Washington Wizards, LA Lakers, New York Knicks, Denver Nuggets, Brooklyn Nets, Portland Trailblazers, Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder, and the LA Clippers.

I skipped the MLB because most of their logos are pretty much just the city name on their jersey rather than their team name so I didn't want to make this list 50 teams long.

If you really want to strictly limit your logo to the team name, you'll love the Cleveland Browns.  What a lovely logo!  What the hell were they thinking when they made that $&!# stain of a franchise?

• Upvote 1