The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Flying Skate Jersey Could be Making a Comeback

Rate this topic

Me_

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is that what it was called?

When you throw and try to knock down all the cards standing up against the wall? Winner takes all. 

I was ace. 

Nah scrambles were a minute before the bell rings to go in and some kid just throws all his cards in the air to see people fight over them.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

So other teams have stupid logos and colours that make no sense so we should too?  Our city is known for the beautiful blue ocean, the green treed hills, and the white snow peaked mountains.  Sure let’s have a red, brown, and orange team sweater.  

Drunk Alf? Which teams logo is stupid and doesn't make sense. Does Dallas having a D in their logo not make sense to you? Does the devilish NJ not make sense for New Jersey to you? Does Calgary using a flaming C not make sense? Does Detroit's Winged wheel not make sense for Motor City? Very few teams have a hockey reference in theirs logos. Very few. In my other post I said our team colors also represent where we play. Nowhere have I said I don't like our current colors. Representing where the team plays is far more common, and makes more sense to me for the franchise, than identifying what sport is being played. It ties the identity to the location. Personally I think representing the team name and where the team plays makes for the best team logos. A hockey refence can be a nice touch, but is not a critical element. Otherwise more than a handful of teams would actually have a hockey reference in their logo. 

11 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I have the same question about Orca. What does an Orca have to do with the name Canucks? The skate logo represents hockey just like stick in the rink. They are representing a Canadian game, hence the name Canucks as Canadians are usually associated with the sport of hockey and being best at it. The Orca logo represents an animal and it is not related to the name Canucks. This corporate logo represents Orca sports and entertainment and has nothing to do with history of Canucks. Heck even the johnny canuck or that canuck aviator logo makes more sense than the orca logo.

Yeah, kind of true, both the skate and the orca logos.  Current logo is going for the C initial.  Used by a bunch of teams. Flames have flames, our c has an orca whale coming out of it.  

The Black jerseys were always the best looking ones.   The dead whale swimming in circles logo - has to go.  It's tired, boring and its time for change.  If not this year - then next - when we have new NHL Calibre Coaching staff to lead our players.

I don’t like the colours of the Chrétien jersey but never really liked the Griz stuff. I like the idea. 
Frankly I would give the team name, logo and Jersey to some local native artists and say come up with something that works.

Whether it sticks with orca theme or not. 
I am not married to a military related theme for the team name and wouldn’t be sad to see it go. Millionaires is a little too on point for Vancouver, though would be a great sense of ironic naming if done by the indigenous community. 

I love the black skate jersey, but it’s tied to nostalgia. Looking at those jerseys with modern eyes, I don’t think it looks all that great.

I love the blue & green, the orca has always been ok for me, don’t hate it don’t love it. The greatest team logos for me, are simplistic, basic. Montreal, Boston etc. Ive always thought the stick n’ rink should be the logo. It’s the original look

18 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Random question.

Why are so many girls named Bambi?

The deer in the movie was a boy. 

The name Bambi is a girl's name of Italian origin meaning "baby girl". Which makes you wonder why Disney named a male deer Bambi. :lol:

Edited by Baggins

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

The name Bambi is a girl's name of Italian origin meaning "baby girl". Which makes you wonder why Disney named a male deer Bambi. :lol:

Oh, thank you. I didn't expect an answer.

I have always found that name weird as I obviously relate it to Disney. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rindiculous said:

hmmm...let me get a list of the big leagues outside of the NHL where their logo doesn't match their name.  Houston Texans, Buffalo Bills, San Diego Chargers, New Orleans Saints (why the hell do they have a fleur de lis?), Pittsburgh Steelers, Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, San Francisco 49ers, New York Giants, New York Jets, Tennessee Titans, Boston Celtics, Golden State Warriors, Washington Wizards, LA Lakers, New York Knicks, Denver Nuggets, Brooklyn Nets, Portland Trailblazers, Detroit Pistons, Orlando Magic, Oklahoma City Thunder, and the LA Clippers.

I skipped the MLB because most of their logos are pretty much just the city name on their jersey rather than their team name so I didn't want to make this list 50 teams long.

If you really want to strictly limit your logo to the team name, you'll love the Cleveland Browns.  What a lovely logo!  What the hell were they thinking when they made that $&!# stain of a franchise?

The orca does match the team name by forming a C for Canucks. If that doesn't represent the team name then the Stick in Rink doesn't either. The Flying V doesn't represent the team name or sport. The argument the Orca C doesn't represent the team name also invalidates the Flying V and SiR as NHL logos. 

21 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The Canucks logo in 1982 and the preceding few years was the flying skate and it was on the arms.

41f3ln41QuL._AC_.jpg

21 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I would argue it's on the arm, not the chest. The Flying V is the main part of the Jersey. The mid-to late 80's was when the downhill skate was the main logo.

Ei4P4OGUMAA1HiU.jpg

The Skate was still the primary crest when the Flying V was on the front. The V was not a logo....just chevron striping instead of traditional hemline striping. It's like the Rangers' 3D drop shadow diagonal wordmark is not a logo. The only time the Rangers ever wore their primary shield logo on the front was for 2 seasons in the mid-late 70's, "the John Ferguson uniforms".

• Like 2