The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Flying Skate Jersey Could be Making a Comeback

Rate this topic

Me_

58 minutes ago, Rindiculous said:

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the bowl of spaghetti and it would look terrible in blue, green, and white.  The Orca is a really sharp, modern logo.  It also shows the culture around here as well as the colour scheme.  Every time you cross on the ferry, do you not hope to see an Orca?  Where else in the world would you think like that?  Yes, yes, the logo came from a company, however we don't need to lump it in with a company.  Orca's are a part of our culture.  There's no other places in the world with multiple companies with Orca in its name or how widely the symbol of an Orca represents us.  The way it's drawn looks like it could fit in with First Nation's art from around here.  It is a perfect representation of the Pacific Northwest.  It's very similar to the Seattle Seahawks.  We have very similar cultures with the guys down in Seattle.  And guess what?  Our teams' identities are almost exactly the same.  We both have the blue, green, and white colour scheme, and instead of it being an Orca, it's a Seagull that is drawn like it could fit in with First Nation's art (but probably slightly more modernized).

Don't get me wrong, I love the skate jersey, and I would love to see it as our permanent third (mostly because I love the colour scheme), however the skate literally means nothing to us, and it is such an old and retro logo that it would look amateurish in today's NHL.

Also, it might help that I grew up with the Orca logo sooooo, yah the poster saying that it depends what you grew up with has a point.

That's true. I think the variations of yellow/red makes it look quite messy.... maybe if the entire skate logo was one colour instead of patterned. 

For example, on the home jersey, the skate itself with all the lines could just be a clean white, while where it says "Canucks" it can be white but with blue or green outlining. 

lol... you can tell I've thought about this.

I guess, to me it's because the current jerseys just look kind of empty? 

I think the orca does look sharp but the rest of the jersey looks so empty like, almost unifinished in a way. 

Maybe if they added a bit more detail or lining to the shoulder cuffs. As someone who works in design, these kind of things go through my head sometimes :mellow:

34 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Its completely arbitrary. You're choosing the particular parameters you want to make your case. I could do the exact same with points, presidents trophys, Art Ross Winners, playoff series, etc. 

I'm pretty sure the red black and yellow will win playoff series per year with the colors as well.  Actually forget per year...in TOTAL.  I think the Canucks have won 8 playoff series in ~35 years in blue and green, and 9 playoff series in ~15 years with the flying skate.  The difference in playoff success is absurd.

Playoff success will always be the gold standard of metrics.  As for the others you have cited, well yeah the blue and green have ~35 years and have more of those as would be expected.  Given the time differential they should have more of everything but when it comes to playoffs, like I said, the old uniform is pimpslapping it with less than half the time.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Vintage 1

I wouldn't mind it as a third, but I do like our current third better. Maybe a fourth jersey? Is that a thing?

Definitely don't want it as a main jersey, nor do I want any significant changes to that one. I'm glad we're finally forming an identity with our logo and colour scheme. We've used the same colours for almost 15 years now and roughly the same logo for almost 25 and that makes me happy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Black skate permanent alternate jersey, yes please. And please some playoff games with it too. It’s just damn sexy. Petey knows it. 

And for folks saying the best prior Canucks teams wore blue and green, I don’t agree. The best in my mind is the team that gets closest to the cup. In 94, they played their heart out in Game 7 of the finals, and were two goals short of winning. Can any green and blue team say that? I’d prefer to not remember that blue and green Game 7.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

No. This is so dumb, I'm so sick of hearing it. The "blue and green are too passive" idea is middle schooler psychology that lead to us having the flying V's. The Canucks have a beautiful, fitting, unique colour scheme and they need to actually stick with it rather than switch to a generic Pittsburgh/Boston/Vegas/Calgary knock off. 

The "intimidation" idea is so dumb. No grown man being paid millions of dollars to play a game is going to be scared by what the opposition is wearing. Otherwise Pittsburgh would have been a dumpster fire the past 15 years and the Panthers would have 12 cups because Panthers are more intimidating than Penguins. Tampa is a garbage team because blue and white is too calm of a colour scheme. While we're at it lets change the name of the team to "Super Killer Death Whales" to really make our opponents shake in their boots.

I guarantee you that if we went back to the skate colours, within ~5 years everybody would be clamouring for blue and green to come back because its always grass-is-greenerism. I remember back in 2007 when the team started wearing the stick-in-rink as thirds, everybody wanted the team to go back to blue and green, the Germany colours were an afterthought. The Skate jerseys were a fun throwback, and they'd be fine as a third, but thats it. 

This team needs to build a consistent identity around a consistent look, not switch it around every few years because the fans inexplicably seem think changing back to a jersey they never won in will help them win.

This post should be pinned to every "change the jersey" thread that pops up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, McBackup said:

I think its just because the skate is different. Its an alternate to what we have now. If we went back to the Skate full time, before too long people would start clamouring for the team to go back to the blue and green look and romanticizing the 2011 team like they do with 94.

Honestly if you want an unbiased opinion from a asthetic point of view, the skate jersey with those color patterns looks better than the corporate orca logo. IMO it makes more sense because of the name of the team which shows that we are canadians or Canucks by using an ice hockey skate that represents Canadians love for hockey and their best sport. The Orca logo was a corporate logo that does not have anything to do with the team name. There is a huge disconnect. Look at the logos and the coresponding team names around the league and then look at our logo. The mistake was by Aqualini not going back to the skate logo once they bought the team. Now am not sure they will ever change it.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

I see a recoloured Skate primary in the near future. Put Johnny Canuck on the shoulders.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Recoloured skate primary? I would not want blhe and green skate jersey. I feel the original pattern looks way better

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

That's true. I think the variations of yellow/red makes it look quite messy.... maybe if the entire skate logo was one colour instead of patterned. 

For example, on the home jersey, the skate itself with all the lines could just be a clean white, while where it says "Canucks" it can be white but with blue or green outlining. 

lol... you can tell I've thought about this.

I guess, to me it's because the current jerseys just look kind of empty? 

I think the orca does look sharp but the rest of the jersey looks so empty like, almost unifinished in a way. 

Maybe if they added a bit more detail or lining to the shoulder cuffs. As someone who works in design, these kind of things go through my head sometimes :mellow:

The Orca looks sharp but what does it have to do with the name "Canucks"?? There is a huge disconnect there. I will say that they will not be changing the logo anytime soon

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Honestly if you want an unbiased opinion from a asthetic point of view, the skate jersey with those color patterns looks better than the corporate orca logo. IMO it makes more sense because of the name of the team which shows that we are canadians or Canucks by using an ice hockey skate that represents Canadians love for hockey and their best sport. The Orca logo was a corporate logo that does not have anything to do with the team name. There is a huge disconnect. Look at the logos and the coresponding team names around the league and then look at our logo. The mistake was by Aqualini not going back to the skate logo once they bought the team. Now am not sure they will ever change it.

I'm not even going to get into a logo discussion. The problem with the Canucks is that they've never had a truly good logo. They're all seriously flawed in some way or another so everybody just picks their personal  favourite as the "best" one.

However, the hill I will die on is the colours. Whatever logo they slap on the front, they should never stray from the blue and green again. 

Edited by McBackup

I would love to see something like the Kachina for a third but one made with local indigenous artists that fits Vancouver.(I’m aware of the issues around the orca jersey as it stands) 

Would be good to see a jersey with a Salish Orca designed artwork that was done with the support of the community and also came alongside extra recognition and social responsibility. 

Edited by UKNuck96

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

This post should be pinned to every "change the jersey" thread that pops up.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that while many fans from the 90s or late 80s go nuts over the Skate nostalgia, I don't see the same thing from older fans from prior eras, like the Flying V or Sitck 'N Rink era, though there may be some exceptions. I suspect fans who've seen so much change over the years aren't keen on yet another change, but also don't have the nostalgia tied with the Skate, since their nostalgia logo would be the Flying V or Stick 'N Rink.

@smithers joe @Rick Blight @RUPERTKBD What are your opinions on the Skate logo and the idea of switching back to it? Genuinely curious to know what older fans think and if my theory holds true.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, McBackup said:

The Canucks also had their best teams by far wearing blue and green. This is a merry-go-round that never ends. 

Looking better isn't a good enough reason to change it? Why change any jersey ever then? The Islanders should never have moved on from the fishsticks because there was no reason to.

You're telling me someone clamouring for something won't start complaining when they get that? Odd. Usually when a three year old cries about wanting a cookie, and you give him one, he gets even more pissed and doesn't want it.

So your opinion is the current iteration is the best and for those of us that prefer the 90s one and we just want what we can't have basically?

So your choice is fine because it's the right choice but the ones that don't line up with you are equalivent to a 3 year old having a temper tantrum over a cookie?

How very condensing of you.

People who like the flying skate like it for lots of reasons not because the grass is greener, sure for some fans that jersey reminds them of a team that was all heart and played above their weight class but many grew up without it and just like the way it looks.

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1