The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 26, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

All I can say is the team on paper, given all the roster moves made this offseason, and playing in a weak division, there is zero reason why this isn’t a playoff team. They have the horses up front, strong goaltending, and with Hamonic coming back into the fold, a formidable defence that should be able to hold its own. Out of the 7 games I’ve seen, only the Detroit and perhaps Edmonton game they really mananged a full 60 minute performance. Other than that, it’s been the same ol, lacklustre, unenthusiastic hockey where players are still making bad decisions with the puck and the team cannot sustain any sort of regular pressure with the puck 5 v 5. It seems as if a lot of them don’t have their heads in the game and are simply going through the motions. They have to hold their fair share of the blame too, but a new voice is what’s needed to kickstart these guys and get them

playing to their potential. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green is too attached to certain players to ever utilize the roster properly. And his usage of Podkolzin alone should be enough to fire him.

I don’t care if he thinks rookies need to earn it or not. His problem is thinking vets don’t.

I’m not a fan of Green either, but this simply isn’t true. We have canned several vets for not performing. Losing Gadj is the one the irks me though. Should have given him more of a look.

• Like 1

All this whining about Green :picard:.

So, the Canucks and Lightening are both sitting at 3-3-1 records but the Canucks have a better goal differential, -1 to -6.

If Green is the reason we are "only" at this record - is the same true of Jon Cooper???

Yes, that is how silly you look when putting down Green.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

I harp on the Leafs a lot and it pains me to see some similarities to the Canucks. EP is looking like Marner at the moment. Seems EP spent the off season reading his press clippings rather than getting stronger. Not only that, he looks slower and is failing down even more. He will figure it out, but it may take half the year. 

14 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

I’m not a fan of Green either, but this simply isn’t true. We have canned several vets for not performing. Losing Gadj is the one the irks me though. Should have given him more of a look.

Nope it’s 100% true. Green is by far the worst coach we have had for playing favourites and refusing to move off his opinion of what a player is even when they prove it every night.

17 minutes ago, HomeBrew said:

Thank you for calling out Trumpism, just because Wallstreet says it, doesn't make it truth or real

go Canucks go

• Wat 1

10 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, the Canucks and Lightening are both sitting at 3-3-1 records but the Canucks have a better goal differential, -1 to -6.

If Green is the reason we are "only" at this record - is the same true of Jon Cooper???

Lol Cooper has two cups and regularly gets the best out of every player on his roster.

Comparing Green to Cooper is like comparing Desjardins to Scotty Bowman.

8 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Yeah, that's a comparison. Tampa coming off another Stanley Cup vs the Canucks missing the playoffs again. That's how you judge a coach, by goal differential, because he can coach the hell out of that goalie, right?

Yeah, that's how silly you look when you compare a SC winning coach to one who can't get his team to the dance let alone win.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Pickly said:

All I can say is the team on paper, given all the roster moves made this offseason, and playing in a weak division, there is zero reason why this isn’t a playoff team. They have the horses up front, strong goaltending, and with Hamonic coming back into the fold, a formidable defence that should be able to hold its own. Out of the 7 games I’ve seen, only the Detroit and perhaps Edmonton game they really mananged a full 60 minute performance. Other than that, it’s been the same ol, lacklustre, unenthusiastic hockey where players are still making bad decisions with the puck and the team cannot sustain any sort of regular pressure with the puck 5 v 5. It seems as if a lot of them don’t have their heads in the game and are simply going through the motions. They have to hold their fair share of the blame too, but a new voice is what’s needed to kickstart these guys and get them

Right there, all the endless Fire the Coach rhetoric  

some of our top stars are not performing and not executing 

A structured system is only as good as the players executing it, or not

3 turnovers to goals. Thats on the players

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

Green is floundering, mixing lines like he's a drunk bartender who knows his partner is about to leave him. 

Pick your lines, stick to your lines, build some chemistry. You don't magically find chemistry in one shift, so when it of course doesn't happen, he changes things around. Players hate this, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's losing the room. He has the same systems year after year that don't work, and then bag skates the team. This is a recipe for losing a room and games. 

But, guys, I think I know the answer...

Wait for it...

We need more Lamikko!!!

22 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I agree with this, all except the un-enthusiastic part. I do think the individual effort is there by the players, its just being badly deployed.

Other than strong individual efforts and Demko, every other aspect of Greens systems have a flaw. Teams can get away with one poor area, but not problems with 5 on 5, PP, PK and zone breakdowns.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Green is too attached to certain players to ever utilize the roster properly. And his usage of Podkolzin alone should be enough to fire him.

I don’t care if he thinks rookies need to earn it or not. His problem is thinking vets don’t.

Down by a goal and his answer is Lammikko and Highmore? Honestly I just don’t know what to even say to that. He is an ahl level coach where it’s a bit easier to get away with being willing to lose on principle. Doesn’t he always say the nhl is a league where you have to be able to perform?

He needs to point that toward himself or Benning needs to do it for him.

Yeah, the way Green deploys: Bones vs Podz says alot about his tendency to have favorites.