The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Ok

Doesn't excuse his really poor play.

No it doesn’t, and like I said, I’m just messing.

He’s missed a lot of time and seems a bit uncoordinated still. He’s elite though, he will pull it together, but I def believe a systems change is what will be the best driver for that and help him excel to next level.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

The Lotto line sadly still looked more like the Lottery line, which is where we are heading at this rate. Coaching and Motivation still look F tier - I don't like to subscribe to a narrative of whatever, but gotta say a coaching change is looking awful appealing given the on ice product again this season. 

Haha well played 

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Petey is a key component to our success so if hes now performing, as hes paid to do for any reason then hes got to go too.

Hes supposed to be our Naslund, our Sedin, hes supposed to be THE #1 weapon on offence.

Where is this guy?

He wants to be paid like THAT guy. But where is the production? Where is the creativity?

Ask the coach. He’s the one designing the plays that seem to be doing NOTHING.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firstname Lastname said:

On paper, the forward group looks good, and the defense looks questionable.

But on the ice, the result is opposite.

This is what is really frustrating... 

This team is built to be an offensive possession team that can score 3-5 goals a night. Under Green's system, they play the same dump and chase strategy that he has been using since he got here. It is acceptable to use that system when the team is bad like in 2017, but now with a team that actually has a potent forward group he does not adjust. 

The defense hasn't looked as bad as I thought but that can be because Demko and Halak have done very well. 

Anyway, the problem right now is not the talent, I think this is a pretty decent team, it should at least be a WC team. The problem is between the ears and the coaching.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

they need to produce - why don't they play with some heart? some commitment? like a team? A lot of that is on the players. 

As for our D play - our players are crap....we have 6 or 7 players in our lineup tonight that a good team would have on their taxi squad. 

Highmore, Schenn, Bailey, Burroughs, Chaisson, Hunt , Lammikko are all journeymen players at best at this stage of their career

Myers played over 23 minutes tonight - on a good team he plays 15

With so many players that aren't that good, it makes us easier to play against - teams can really focus on our high end talent and not worry about a third of our team

this team is just not that good. 

I hear where you're coming from but I honestly disagree. We have one of the most talented top 6's in the whole league, with plenty of skill on our third line. Lamikko, Bailey, and Highmore are excellent 4th liners who all deserve permanent NHL jobs (and its wild that we have that in spite of all our bottom six injuries). 

Burroughs has been great for a #5, #6 guy, and Myers has been FAR from a problem. Hes played like the solid top-4 guy that he is. 

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Garland-Horvat-Pearson
Hoglander-Dickinson-Podkolzin
Highmore-Lamikko-Bailey
Sutter, Motte

They're not the problem. Its the silly dump and chase system that almost nobody relies on anymore because statistically you end up with way fewer high danger scoring chances than if you carried it in. Dump and chase is for old and slow plugs, not for a high skilled team like ours. 

And we spend so much time in our own zone because we don't put any pressure on the other team once they gain our zone - we let them set up, cycle, and take as many shots as they like. 

The system sucks. 

28 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Same systems

Same zone entry attempts

Same defensive positioning

4 years 

I'd say 21 games or less left for Green.  The issues are too apparent and to rigid without change on a consistent basis for it to ever get better without a new coaching staff

We can't afford to wait that long,  We all know Green should have been tossed two years ago. It was a foolish mistake bringing him back.  He'll hopefully be gone in the very very near future before our season is flushed down the toilet again.  

Edited by RU SERIOUS