The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Philadelphia Flyers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 28, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Hughes, OEL, Bo, Miller, Garland, and the grunts are getting it done.  Really we need Petey and Bess to play their best more often.  They will.  It’s early.  

Are Miller and Bo getting it done ? To me, the top 6 as a whole, is underachieving.

3 goals in 2 games, is nowhere near the exchange rate needed, to win you hockey games.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, SergioMomesso said:

i was about to book my ticket to van for the Nov 19 and 21st games but might just save the 3k instead. I will not fork out a cent if that's the product that is out on the ice.

3k?  Man there must be a closer place to go watch the games ... Back East, i "forked out 150$", for two tickets 45 mins away from OTT including the cost for star parking so we don't have to wait an extra 30 minutes after the game to get out.   Mid blues, which in OTT are great seats to see the entire rink and play.    If it includes a flight then i get that adds up.   Can do both MTL and OTT, by myself including gas without drinks in the blues for around $200.   

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Thanks.   It was rather exhausting defending Brock Boeser after he signed ... but worth the effort.   THN listed him as one of the best bang for the buck guys on the team in their recent cap "by the numbers" edition.    

Even went so far to say he's already worth more then his qualifying offer by at least .5 million.   

The team will for sure do better once EP gets his groove on again.   TG deserves to be under pressure but he's not the one playing either.   The players themselves have to do it.   It's not like he's their "skills coach" and out there trying to make them better players.   His main responsibility is creating lines that work.   The Lotto line absolutely did work.    So did Pearson Horvat LE for awhile...Now it's got Garland.   Hogs on the L side makes way more sense.   That's his natural shooting position.   

I bring this up because Green is also the weakest chicken given our record.   That said he's two wins away from been right back where everyone predicted us to be.   86-89 points.    Feel that this will be his last year as our coach if he doesn't make the playoffs.   But also know there is so much season left ... so much can happen yet.   Slating us in for another "top ten pick" after less then 20 games is jumping the gun.  

I guess my final take on Green is that he isn't the guy to get more from this team. He's OK... But we need more than that. We've been game planned against too effectively already this year, not sure why that will change.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Lol.  I'm guessing your part of the group who grew up with nothing but winning during the WCE and Sedin era?   Yes this sucks.   But it's also part of the 32 team cap era as well.     The carrot is pretty much any team can win a cup if they get in and get on a roll, or at least make the final.   The pitfall is that's what it takes these days to be relevant again.   Oilers aren't an outlier and used often enough ... under JB we've made the show twice ... that's as many times EDM made them including McDavis first crack since they went to the final.   CAR missed 9 in a row...look at them now.   Buffalo.   Detroit is our best comp as our cycles are virtually aligned.   

No I became a fan after Bure’s rookie year in ‘91-‘92 and became a BIG fan after the 1994 run to the finals. Other than the rough stretch between 1996-2000, the Canucks have been a pretty decent team for a lot of that. This is the first real extended period of mediocrity I’ve been through

58 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This place is being over-run by stupid. I'm out.

Do you think a coaching change will make anything worse? Will we play worse in front of a different coach who might have more of a pedigree than Green? 

Might Green not be the issue? Maybe? 

Does it hurt to find out and see? 

What could go wrong? 

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

3k?  Man there must be a closer place to go watch the games ... Back East, i "forked out 150$", for two tickets 45 mins away from OTT including the cost for star parking so we don't have to wait an extra 30 minutes after the game to get out.   Mid blues, which in OTT are great seats to see the entire rink and play.    If it includes a flight then i get that adds up.   Can do both MTL and OTT, by myself including gas without drinks in the blues for around $200.   

Probably talking about flights hotels etc 

• Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I guess my final take on Green is that he isn't the guy to get more from this team. He's OK... But we need more than that. We've been game planned against too effectively already this year, not sure why that will change.

For me unless Trotz or someone really capable was available, i highly doubt we are going to get 95 plus  points with this lineup.   Our right side is weak, our L side bottom paring is weak.   Our bottom six should be better though.   Not worried about our top six, we don't have elite talent (yet), but for sure have a lot of blue chip talent available to us. 

A few pointed out who our Ds were last night.   

I would like to see what Hamonic adds to the defence before jumping too fast to a conclusion.   I'd also like to see what TG can manage with our top 9 over a 20 game sample size.   If we just keep up the same record until the 20 game mark it won't be a hole too deep to dig ourselves out of either.   To me if the players revolt or TG loses the room then absolutely time for change.   Haven't seen that yet. 

Said it earlier the only thing i don't like is our first periods haven't been up to snuff.   The 2/3 have been better for sure.   If TG could in-still that sort of urgency in the first AND not lose the same urgency in the second and third...then we will end up with 95 plus points with Green.   Which with this roster is an overachievement.  

We haven't been blown out yet.   EN goals whatever.   

Edit:  And IF we have the same winning percentage after 20 games - absolutely TG needs to go.   It will also be the final and last card JB can play.   If he screws that one up he will also be toast. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

We are currently 5th in the Pacific (one spot out of a wild card spot and a couple points out of 3rd spot). We are 9th in the Western Conference (by points and points percentage) only 8 games into a hopefully 82 game season.

Just saying...

But it feels like many are...

Stressed Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Edited by theo5789
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For me unless Trotz or someone really capable was available, i highly doubt we are going to get 95 plus  points with this lineup.   Our right side is weak, our L side bottom paring is weak.   Our bottom six should be better though.   Not worried about our top six, we don't have elite talent (yet), but for sure have a lot of blue chip talent available to us. 

I would like to see what Hamonic adds to the defence before jumping too fast to a conclusion.   I'd also like to see what TG can manage with our top 9 over a 20 game sample size.   If we just keep up the same record until the 20 game mark it won't be a hole too deep to dig ourselves out of either.   To me if the players revolt or TG loses the room then absolutely time for change.   Haven't seen that yet. 

Said it earlier the only thing i don't like is our first periods haven't been up to snuff.   The 2/3 have been better for sure.   If TG could in-still that sort of urgency in the first AND not lose the same urgency in the second and third...then we will end up with 95 plus points with Green.   Which with this roster is an overachievement.  

That is a good point... Who replaces Green matters. I've just lost faith that Green has it in him to solve the issues you point out. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

We are currently 5th in the Pacific (one spot of our a wild card spot and a couple points out of 3rd spot). We are 9th in the Western Conference (by points and points percentage) only 8 games into a hopefully 82 game season.

Just saying...

But it feels like many are...

Stressed Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Yep.   If i had to put money on it, i'd say Green likely won't be leaving this year.   Too much time to turn it around. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

That is a good point... Who replaces Green matters. I've just lost faith that Green has it in him to solve the issues you point out. 

I get that brother.  Your one of a dozen or so posters that what your say actually does make me think on it.   I've lost some faith too.   Jonah Gadjovich and also OJ (to a lesser degree given our L side ... he probably lost his spot to Rathbone).   That took a big chunk of my trust in both JB and Green away.   

Edit:  That said i'm happy to wait another 10ish games or so before passing too much judgement. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Do you think a coaching change will make anything worse? Will we play worse in front of a different coach who might have more of a pedigree than Green? 

Might Green not be the issue? Maybe? 

Does it hurt to find out and see? 

What could go wrong? 

To be honest I have no clue anymore lol. I would welcome it just so the insane comments, projections, and crystal ball forecasting around here would cease. It's like being in an asylum, I can't even think clearly with the bat$&!# crazy flying around. I'm not a huge Green supporter so I honestly don't care I just wonder what people will complain about next when they find out we're not really the best team in the NHL and it's not all Green's fault. Some people are just super impatient and can't handle the ups and downs of the NHL. The facts are all teams struggle, it's not easy.

Hopefully we can stop throwing guys like Dowling under the bus at that point while glorifying MacEwen or Gadjovich to Neely levels, in order to smear a coach.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Edit:  And IF we have the same winning percentage after 20 games - absolutely TG needs to go.   It will also be the final and last card JB can play.   If he screws that one up he will also be toast. 

I think a new coach can do wonders. 

I think our forward group is actually really strong. 

Our D was the biggest question mark and they've actually looked good. 

Adding Hamonic will make it better. 

Not a Stanley cup team yet but it should at least be a playoff team