The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's your favourite Canuck related memory or experience?

Rate this topic

Coconuts

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

The Sedins final home game....that was massive.  The feeling in the air was something so special and I feel honoured to have been there to take it all in.

I gotta say Deb

You are probably the biggest Canuck fan I know

I can see the tears running down your face just thinking about everything :canucks:

Kind of makes me wonder how many Trolls you have beat up!

Edited by J.I.A.H.N
  • Like 3

On 10/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, Crabcakes said:

Game 6 in the 94 finals.

I was watching the game in a bar downtown with my friends.  The Canucks won 4-1 at home to force game 7.  We left the bar after the game and the streets had erupted with joyful fans cheering and driving up and down the streets horns honking and flags waving.  It was as good as Vancouver can get.

After that game...you could tell we had them on their heels.   We were literally taking over the series.   It was our Game 1 as in we were the best team on the ice and it was obvious fatigue was setting in and that the longer the series went on, the more our team looked like destiny was about to arrive.   That extra rest day..well who knows, maybe Linden really needed it too ... but for sure it helped the Rangers get their wind back. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

On 10/29/2021 at 11:37 AM, Coconuts said:

For the sake of having something that isn't dreary or related to injuries or firing someone let's try something different? CDC's got a broad age range amongst it's users so I'm sure we'll get some neat stuff here. 

My favourite experience was probably meeting Willie Mitchell and Kirk McLean in Nanaimo for some hockey related event back in 2017. Morrison was there too but I can't remember whether I had a chance to meet him or not. I live on the island and don't leave it much so my chances to meet Canucks are pretty slim, Mitchell's still a massive dude and looked like he could play pro hockey if he wanted to. The only other experience that comes to mind was my single Canucks game during the mid 2010's against Nashville, those were some rough times but they came out with a win! 

This club needs a willie mitchell.  Guy was a warrior for us.

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 1

The 1994 Stanley Cup Run. I was 9 years old and that season is the first memories that I can remember of watching Hockey with my Dad. What an amazing run. So close to winning it all. That team of underdogs played with so much heart, and Pat Quinn made all the right moves at the right time to make it all happen. Such great childhood memories of that team that will always be close to my heart.

The 2011 Stanley Cup Run and Slaying the Dragon being a close second because of the childhood nostalgia for 1994. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 10/30/2021 at 3:08 PM, -DLC- said:

I have a few.

Mom and I and hockey day in Canada (I've told the story before, it's still bittersweet).

My son and I at the '94 "Fan Appreciation" event that felt more like we won the cup than lost it.

My son and I at the All Star festivities in Vancouver,

Trevor Linden putting my son on his knee and giving him a little talk (on video) that was so unexpected.  The announcement at the event was "we're running behind, please limit your time to one quick autograph each".  He actually stepped away from the table, kneeled down and said "I think your Mom would like a video".  I sure did.

2011.  I got to see so many games at ice level and that was a really great experience.  Not just the games themselves, but getting to know people behind the scenes.  Hanging out with Punch McLean and having the Johns come over for a quick hello.  Seeing the Sedins walk past out of their gear, speaking Swedish to each other after the game.  That entire year was magical for me.  Burr slapping my stuff off the ledge.  The entire way the dragon slay game unfolded for me (another story I've told).

I have so many great hockey memories.  Meeting Gino.  Lumme.  Babych.   Bure.  Have a picture of my young son sitting on Pavel's knee...was a big moment.

Love this team.  ALL my best memories are related to the Canucks and my family.  This team's been part of our history for a long time and I'd never turn on them.

I was 9 years old and skipped school and took the bus and sky train downtown myself to go to that. Such a rebel lol

• Haha 2

Alright.

I'll be a sap.

My favourite Canuck memory is my first real date with my wife.

We knew each other a little bit through friends and after having a coffee one day she called to ask me out. 

I picked up the phone and she said " wanna grab some beers, watch the Canucks and play some darts at the Railway Club?"

I was like..."Um yes, yes a really do want to do that"

I called my mum after that phone call and told her I think I might have found the girl I am going to marry.

The rest is history. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I called my mum after that phone call and told her I think I might have found the girl I am going to marry.

Does your wife know you take credit for finding her, when she was the one who found you? :lol:

• Haha 1

On 10/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, J.I.A.H.N said:

I gotta say Deb

You are probably the biggest Canuck fan I know

I can see the tears running down your face just thinking about everything :canucks:

Kind of makes me wonder how many Trolls you have beat up!

We need more fans willing to defend the colours like Deb. 

Living in the Interior I never got to many games. Before the Canucks came into the NHL I was a Habs fan. I was in Van on a trip and got to go to a Canucks-Nordique game and my Habs idol Guy LaFleur was playing for the Nordiqie. It was the twilight of his career but he drifted/glided around the ice, his hair flowing, and yes he scored! Cannot remember who won.

Of course before LaFleur it was the Le Gros Bill, Jean Beliveau. A buddy of mine was flying on a RCA (stereos sales, don't you know) junket his business had won. Beliveau worked for RCA in retirement and was on the flight. Typical of him he walked thru the airplane and talked to most of the passengers including my buddy. RCA had a picture of Jean inserted in their prom literature for the trip. My buddy was telling Jean what a big fan I was and seeing the picture Beliveau signed his autograph to give to me. I still have that pic today.      

I met Henri Richard at YVR one time. What a classy guy! Met Reggie Houle in Moscow at the '74 WHA series. He told me he had to leave the Canadians because the WHA was paying way more. It took me years to forgive him. Tardiff-LaFleur-Houle, what a line. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

We need more fans willing to defend the colours like Deb. 

Living in the Interior I never got to many games. Before the Canucks came into the NHL I was a Habs fan. I was in Van on a trip and got to go to a Canucks-Nordique game and my Habs idol Guy LaFleur was playing for the Nordiqie. It was the twilight of his career but he drifted/glided around the ice, his hair flowing, and yes he scored! Cannot remember who won.

Of course before LaFleur it was the Le Gros Bill, Jean Beliveau. A buddy of mine was flying on a RCA (stereos sales, don't you know) junket his business had won. Beliveau worked for RCA in retirement and was on the flight. Typical of him he walked thru the airplane and talked to most of the passengers including my buddy. RCA had a picture of Jean inserted in their prom literature for the trip. My buddy was telling Jean what a big fan I was and seeing the picture Beliveau signed his autograph to give to me. I still have that pic today.      

I met Henri Richard at YVR one time. What a classy guy! Met Reggie Houle in Moscow at the '74 WHA series. He told me he had to leave the Canadians because the WHA was paying way more. It took me years to forgive him. Tardiff-LaFleur-Houle, what a line. 

Didn’t Henri Richard get Al McNeil fired after coaching them to a Cup in his rookie year as head coach.  Ok, not fired but demoted.

Beliveau was pure class.  Always felt they should change the name of the Lady Byng trophy to his to give that trophy some prestige (and the way he played the game personified what it takes to win that trophy).  Nobody really treats that award seriously.  But he would be dead set against it given his humility.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Didn’t Henri Richard get Al McNeil fired after coaching them to a Cup in his rookie year as head coach.  Ok, not fired but demoted.

Beliveau was pure class.  Always felt they should change the name of the Lady Byng trophy to his to give that trophy some prestige (and the way he played the game personified what it takes to win that trophy).  Nobody really treats that award seriously.  But he would be dead set against it given his humility.

Beliveau is a great example of a Lady Byng player but I'm against changing the trophy names.  The trophy exists because Lady Byng established and donated it.

• Cheers 1