The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Lights May be Visible Over Vancouver Tonight

DonLever

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-lights-predicted-to-grace-southern-b-c-skies-this-weekend-as-province-on-path-of-geomagnetic-storm-1.6231277

The Northern Lights could put on another dreamy show in the skies across British Columbia this weekend — and nature fans and photographers alike are hoping to catch another mesmerizing glimpse of the phenomenon after it made an appearance earlier this month.

A strong geomagnetic storm watch is in effect for Oct. 30 to 31 by the U.S.-based National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).

"The sun has been quite active lately and yesterday a sunspot gave way to a solar flare that led to a coronal mass ejection headed our way," said CBC Meteorologist Johanna Wagstaffe.

"If the surge of plasma gets to our magnetic field then that's the recipe for northern lights. As the electrons and particles interact, they can create the beautiful greens and purples in the night sky."

When the coronal mass ejection approaches Earth, the U.S. federal agency's DSCOVR satellite will be among the first spacecraft to detect the real-time solar wind changes and will issue any appropriate warnings.

The University of Alaska's North America forecast for the phenomenon indicates it could be seen in parts of B.C., including Metro Vancouver, over the weekend.

Edited by DonLever

I saw them when I was up north in Fort Nelson years ago....spectacular.

I hear we're in for quite a solar storm and over the next while, could be some huge events.  (I'll dig out the article I was reading earlier...love this stuff).

I lol'd at Dan Riccio:

Yes.

Given the amount of attention this has gotten over the past few days, everyone and their dog will be out looking for a spot to see them. Spanish Banks was packed at 4am with cars lining the streets. Porteau Cove was no different. Good luck to anyone attempting to find a quiet place tonight. 

14 minutes ago, canuckspride said:

Yes.

Given the amount of attention this has gotten over the past few days, everyone and their dog will be out looking for a spot to see them. Spanish Banks was packed at 4am with cars lining the streets. Porteau Cove was no different. Good luck to anyone attempting to find a quiet place tonight. 

The Count will find lots to feast on this even-ning then.

Mouhahahaaa

I mean candy bars, treats....really..... (Psst. Hide the coffin!)