The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

please stop with spreading the top 6 into the top 9.
we can't score a goal, so stack up the first two lines..
the lotto line seems off, we can put Boeser back with Horvat just like his rookier year.

Petey Miller Garland

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Pearson Dickinson (meh) Podkolzin

Bailey Lammikko Chiasson

ideally, i would put Dickinson on 4C but we're short in C right now (Petan into the 3rd Center would may be too much, but worth a try) 

Bailey did really great, i really like his hustle and physicality. Highmore is missing too. Chiasson played better but is still slow. 

i'm currently watching Abbostord against Ontario Reigns, i like to keep an eye on Klimo, and want to see where Hamonic is at. Hamonic is a strong presence, jump on the rush, but lacking footspeed rightnow. i'm glad to see him not out of sync at all, we need him badly. 

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I thought they had good energy tonight and finally looked like they cared out there.  McD makes every single team in the league look that way.  

Demko played great, but so did Koskinen.  If they play that game more often they'll be in the playoff mix.

Actually agree on this... 

Obviously not the result we wanted, but both goalies played well. Demko incredible actually...

But they looked like they cared, EP started to win battles and started to make zone entries...

Oilers Scored 2 PP goals... That's that...

Yes we were outshot, but definitely not as bad as the previous few games...

Regardless... Green better start winning some hockey games, cause he won't be getting much more rope...

At least McD didn't get to get multiple point in this game, as they couldn't stop talking about....

16 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

What do you recommend to stop the bleeding?

I dunno. I'm on the fire Green train, but let's be real, having someone step in on an interim basis doesn't guarantee improvement. Even if we get someone who can implement better systems, make better personnel choices and the like, that all takes time to learn and do. 

If this continues, Benning might have shot us in the foot by hitching his wagon to Green. Any way you spin it, this may be a lost season. 

We don't have the cap to bring anyone in, this is the team. They're gonna have to play through it for better or worse, and Green will either figure out how to get more out of them or we're toast. They'll either dig deep and play better as a team or we're toast. 

I know it's early, and things seem bad, but if they can't stop the bleeding we may find ourselves in too deep a hole to climb out of. Maybe things turn around, sports are weird that way, but our play thus far doesn't have me very optimistic.

Guess we'll all find out together?

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I dunno. I'm on the fire Green train, but let's be real, having someone step in on an interim basis doesn't guarantee improvement. Even if we get someone who can implement better systems, make better personnel choices and the like, that all takes time to learn and do. 

If this continues, Benning might have shot us in the foot by hitching his wagon to Green. Any way you spin it, this may be a lost season. 

We don't have the cap to bring anyone in, this is the team. They're gonna have to play through it for better or worse, and Green will either figure out how to get more out of them or we're toast. They'll either dig deep and play better as a team or we're toast. 

I know it's early, and things seem bad, but if they can't stop the bleeding we may find ourselves in too deep a hole to climb out of. Maybe things turn around, sports are weird that way, but our play thus far doesn't have me very optimistic.

Guess we'll all find out together?

There's certainly going to be risk when green is fired shorty and an interim coach put in place - BUT - there will only be certainty if Green is allowed to continue until this team is completely out of contention and the season is a write off - which is not far off the way things are going.    I'd rather take a risk with an interim coach than watch green wash another season down the drain for us.  At least taking that risk we'll have a chance.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Realise Green wanted to get Hoglander going again, but breaking up the only line that has been able to create anything seems daft at best...

Demko is a superstar... 

Yes, Demko is a pillar of hope out there and nice to see Boeser getting back in the swing of things.  He's looked better these two last games.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Would Canucks been better off weaponizing cap space in order to acquire draft picks given the fabulous draft record of Jim Benning? I think you should take a look at Canucks draft record (1st round picks that didn't pan out: Virtanen, Juolevi, 2nd round picks that didn't pan out: Lind, Gadjovich, third round picks that didn't pan out: Lockwood). Hey it's way better to get rid of these draft picks.

Even if Canucks would have missed out on Hughes in the 2018 draft, they would have gotten a great prospect. For example Filip Zadina or even better Oliver Wahlstrom who has already 4 goals this season. I was a huge fan of Wahlstrom because he had one of the best shots in this draft class.

In the end it all comes down to one decision made by Mr. Francesco Aquillini: he decided to part ways with Trevor Linden who supported a full rebuild (build slowly but steady). Instead Aquillini went with Jim Benning - the man who supported a fast rebuild by adding not only veteran players like Beagle, Roussel but also to trade away two first round picks to finalize this rebuild.

In hindsight it's obvious: Aquillini's decision to go with Jim Benning was the wrong choice.

You need to acquire as many picks and young players as possible to improve your chances of hitting on them.

We traded picks and young players at will and spent tons of money trying to speed up the retool/rebuild, anybody who follows hockey and contains a brain knows this will likely be a recipe for disaster.  It's always been common knowledge to not do this but we did it.  8 years and not a single dollar weaponized.  I can't even wrap my head around it  

Wahlstrom and Zadina would of done nothing for us, who would we have on defence?  Nobody.  

We are in agreement though.  We did the opposite of what you're supposed to do, we are the textbook team of what not to do when you should be rebuilding properly 

Ray Ferraro always called it the no-plan plan, he was always flabbergasted at what Benning was doing.  The no-plan plan

Benning or whoever got arrogant at thought they could just build a playoff team with a chequebook and "savy" trading.  At least if you accumulate mass young assets and it doesn't seem to be working, you're stuck with a bunch of young tradeable assets and aren't cap strapped to the tits

In case nobody read it, imagine if Detroit took Hughes, where would we be?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

There's certainly going to be risk when green is fired shorty and an interim coach put in place - BUT - there will only be certainty if Green is allowed to continue until this team is completely out of contention and the season is a write off - which is not far off the way things are going.    I'd rather take a risk with an interim coach than watch green wash another season down the drain for us.  At least taking that risk we'll have a chance.

Way I see it, is if we flub this homestand and find ourselves in a hole he'll need to go. And it's not just about getting a better coach, but about showing the players and fans management and ownership is serious about trying to compete. 

Bo's made the playoff twice in his career, we'll need to sign Boeser, Miller is fiery and obviously hates losing. How much losing do guys wanna do? Bo and Miller will be UFA's. Captain's rarely walk, but we need to show the guys we're serious. If that costs Aqua millions, that might just have to be the cost. 

I hope things turn around, I don't want another lost season. But if things go south, they need to do everything they can to make sure next season ain't one too. If that's millions to fire and hire a couple coaches, so be it.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

Our numbers are the absolute worst in the league. SoG, Possesion time, etc we are actually

one of if not THE worst team in the entire league. It might be time for something new ya.

but, but,but all us STH's got a letter from management at season's start saying they were excited about this year being a turn-around year.  What happened to that?  

1 hour ago, Warhawk said:

You need to acquire as many picks and young players as possible to improve your chances of hitting on them.

We traded picks and young players at will and spent tons of money trying to speed up the retool/rebuild, anybody who follows hockey and contains a brain knows this will likely be a recipe for disaster.  It's always been common knowledge to not do this but we did it.  8 years and not a single dollar weaponized.  I can't even wrap my head around it  

Wahlstrom and Zadina would of done nothing for us, who would we have on defence?  Nobody.  

We are in agreement though.  We did the opposite of what you're supposed to do, we are the textbook team of what not to do when you should be rebuilding properly 

Ray Ferraro always called it the no-plan plan, he was always flabbergasted at what Benning was doing.  The no-plan plan

Benning or whoever got arrogant at thought they could just build a playoff team with a chequebook and "savy" trading.  At least if you accumulate mass young assets and it doesn't seem to be working, you're stuck with a bunch of young tradeable assets and aren't cap strapped to the tits

HF is that way --> Bye

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Warhawk said:

Good post.

The players for the last two seasons are playing like they have no confidence/belief in the process. It shows in the lack of competitiveness. As fans this is really tough to watch a team that isn’t fully invested in itself.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 1