The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Demko, Garland, Hoglander, and Podz were good all game. I felt the rest only showed up with jump in the third period.

First two periods:

-multiple odd man rushes given up on our PP

-falling down for no reason (sharpen thy skates?)

-high risk passes getting picked off when obvious lower risk passes were there

-not moving feet on the PP

-failing basic chances to get puck out of own end

-missed opportunities to get puck deep to change lines

Third period:

-they got the feet moving, and got into the game

-scoring chances looked less robotic and had the Rangers on their heels. More dangerous opposition breakdowns.

-everyone was skating faster with jump

-feet were moving on the PP.

At times they look static and not moving the feet. Once the crowd had something to cheer for, they got into it. I think having Motte back will be huge. Not trying to be negative, but outside the 3rd period, it looked like the same team from the previous games. If the team from the 3rd period shows up next game, we will be fine.

Just now, RakuRaku said:

What do you guys think of the Schenn - Hamonic pairing?? I think they got the job done... you could tell it wasn't easy for Schenn to play on his unnatural left side... I really wonder how much longer this will persist... we need a solid LHD to round out the defensive pairings... Schenn is great as the 7th guy!! 

I liked it. I think they played pretty solid after that first hiccup. They understand and play the game the same way. I think it’s worth continuing and alternate out when need be (eg. against teams with a relatively faster forward line) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It definitely should be. I think they said it’s only if they lose their helmet. But any piece of equipment should be an instant whistle. That’s dangerous.

I was kind of surprised to find out that it’s not even an instant stoppage for a goalie losing his helmet/mask, unless there has been a rule change since this.

787DBF00-7209-4D62-8B2A-BB01BBE1DC4E.jpeg

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

What do you guys think of the Schenn - Hamonic pairing?? I think they got the job done... you could tell it wasn't easy for Schenn to play on his unnatural left side... I really wonder how much longer this will persist... we need a solid LHD to round out the defensive pairings... Schenn is great as the 7th guy!! 

I thought they played a solid, physical game. Schenn had 6 hits and Hamonic had 2. Hamonic had a nice stretch pass in the second I believe. Good, reliable all around pairing. In fact, this is the most imposing and balanced defense I've seen the Canucks have in some time. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

I liked it. I think they played pretty solid after that first hiccup. They understand and play the game the same way. I think it’s worth continuing and alternate out when need be (eg. against teams with a relatively faster forward line) 

Don't get me wrong... I love Schenn and his grit... but at this stage of his career he's just not durable enough to stay consistent for the whole season... I don't know what their plans are... maybe rotate him with Burroughs/Hunt in short term.... but I got a feeling JB will do something soon to address the LHD balance.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chicken. said:

Is a player allowed to play without a glove on if it falls off ?  seems a bit double of a standard too.

Good point. For me, the point is safety. A bare hand can be pulverized by a puck, or slashed open by a skate. If someone clearly removes the glove to get the whistle, that should count as an embellishment penalty.

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sounds to me like the refs were given instructions a few years ago to not blow the whistle until the defending team got control of the puck or got it out of their zone. Either way it’s a stupid and dangerous way to interpret a rule. 

9ED0B790-3E51-46B2-9597-FBA21A40875E.jpeg

Pro sports is like wrestling: it is managed for an expected outcome.  Outside, of luck and some magnificent play by players an expected outcome can be expected.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Good point. For me, the point is safety. A bare hand can be pulverized by a puck, or slashed open by a skate. If someone clearly removes the glove to get the whistle, that should count as an embellishment penalty.

The rules are fine the way they are.    These sort of plays are rare.   How many times have you seen a goalie lose his blocker?    Given the freak  show Demko just displayed it would have been absolutely tragic.   Fortunately nothing happened to Demko.   I remember Wendel Clark's wrist shot taking breaking a goalie mask and taking it clean off so get why if the mask comes off stop the play.     The bigger story should be the skate save on Panarin and think it's getting lost in all this. 

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Pro sports is like wrestling: it is managed for an expected outcome.  Outside, of luck and some magnificent play by players an expected outcome can be expected.

That's not true.   Wrestling is fake with all outcomes already decided before any matches. 

17 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Demko, Garland, Hoglander, and Podz were good all game. I felt the rest only showed up with jump in the third period.

First two periods:

-multiple odd man rushes given up on our PP

-falling down for no reason (sharpen thy skates?)

-high risk passes getting picked off when obvious lower risk passes were there

-not moving feet on the PP

-failing basic chances to get puck out of own end

-missed opportunities to get puck deep to change lines

Third period:

-they got the feet moving, and got into the game

-scoring chances looked less robotic and had the Rangers on their heels. More dangerous opposition breakdowns.

-everyone was skating faster with jump

-feet were moving on the PP.

At times they look static and not moving the feet. Once the crowd had something to cheer for, they got into it. I think having Motte back will be huge. Not trying to be negative, but outside the 3rd period, it looked like the same team from the previous games. If the team from the 3rd period shows up next game, we will be fine.

Hopefully with 2 days rest, they'll be good to go Friday. 

There's really no excuse not to... 

14 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Don't get me wrong... I love Schenn and his grit... but at this stage of his career he's just not durable enough to stay consistent for the whole season... I don't know what their plans are... maybe rotate him with Burroughs/Hunt in short term.... but I got a feeling JB will do something soon to address the LHD balance.

Maybe true, but that’s why I say rotate him in and out. He has such valuable experience as a reliable defensive dman and it’s consistent play that is going to get this team out of their rut. If you can count on your D to be in position to CYA, it might just make things a little easier for the F group to open up play.

Experiment with it. It can’t hurt.

I like Burroughs but perhaps there’s more team trust in guys like Hamonic and Schenn to help defend the play on the back end right now. 

Big Luke is slow though, haha

17 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

How is he not durable? Does he have an extensive injury history? He's a smart enough player that he plays within his abilities and doesn't try to overdo things. He's a solid third pairing defenseman. Burroughs and Hunt are the 7/8 defensemen.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Seems like a little slow development curve for woo?  He's the type of dman to fill these guys shoes.  Just not sure he will ever be good enough but I haven't followed him that close to say for sure .  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

If that's really an issue, we'd have already seen them playing like they did last seasons start.   This start isn't as bad as that tire fire was.   Torts ruined all his dressing rooms eventually, and this was absolutely part of the reason for it.   And has faced heavy criticism for it throughout his career...on the flip side he also got results - so the "rot" or "cancer" took time to reach stage four or whatever you want to call it.   Ranger players actually hated him by the time he moved on.   That said he has gigantic sized balls and will bench any player no matter whom they are,  if they do something stupid.    Fear based coaching works only for so long ... and for sure he used that part of his toolbox like a fiddle.   Green ... well yes i know he's a popular target so far this year.   

A few things on that.   Is he to blame for EP not playing up to his expected level? Green keeps "gifting" him minutes ... despite lacklustre or below performance expectations.   Same could be said for Boeser.    He was also the same coach who identified early that these kids were special,  and put them on our number one PP.   People forget Brock wasn't close to the touted prospect compared to the player he became.   Gaudette also won the Baker..and Brock played in the lesser circuit when he won correct?   Also gave both him and JV every opportunity to make it work.  

Green won't grab a hockey stick and go out and play for these guys.   Like to see how things go with a more complete lineup.   Experts don't really consider what coach a team has when creating their predictions - well expect for maybe Trotz...guys incredible.   And maybe Torts for years 1-3 then put a negative value lol.    Point is, there is quite a bit to be happy about so far, and maybe go and review what the actual expectations are for this team this year if your expecting the playoffs....if we make the playoff it's above par or at least par last wild card spot.   Read too often on here "with this lineup no way we should be where we are"...well we are now two wins away from where we are supposed to be.   Not much really.   Of course it could go the other way too.   Fans need to just relax and enjoy the ride.   All our core players have a lot to give yet. 

We have yet to be blown out.   Losing by a goal sucks it's still a loss.   But not like last year when i started to think they maybe do want Green fired.  16 games and the ship was righted until covid.  Markstrom is the reason CAL is doing so well.   McDavid and their PP EDM - several articles are out there on how lucky they've been so far to win so many games, they've been outplayed but are winning.   Is that coaching?   Not really.  

Demko for sure is our MVP so far.   Just like Markstrom is in CAL.   Lead three stars of the week ... we have a solid base on which to work with that's it.   Anything more then 89/90 points this year is gravy.   

Playoffs.   Want to see if we can re-create that bubble magic.   And if our team is actually built for them.   Haven't a clue yet really, but am very optimistic it's not nearly as bad as many are making it out to be so far this year still as well.   A new coach isn't going to make us a 100 point team either way. 

Do you think we are a playoff team on paper? The biggest question marks heading into the season was whether OEL would regain form and whether Poolman can play 4D/5D. People said the play of our defence dictated playoff chances. 

Both were a resounding success. OEL looks like a premier 1D and Poolman has been solid. So then if the question marks were actually homerun, the team can be said to be underachieving correct? 

This is what the lines should be

Miller Petterson Garland

Boeser Horvat Hogz

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Bailey Lammikko Chiasson/Motte 

OEL Myers 

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone/Schenn Poolman

Demko

This should without a doubt be a team better than their current record. 

I blame the record on an ineffective camp, wrong player selections, wrong player deployment and an ineffective strategy. 

I'm honestly curious, do you not think this is a playoff team? 

1 minute ago, AC30 said:

Way to go team!

We broke the 3 game losing skid in dramatic fashion by coming back from a two goal deficit in the final period to boot

It feels good! 
Our boys rose up from the mat and got it done against a very good Rangers team that is off to a hot start with a hot goalie!

Lets get behind this win and see this team put together a run here.

it can only get better here on out 

On to the next opponent!!!

GCG

Thanks for your positivity! 

We are all Canucks fans here. I know while we gripe, we were ecstatic about the win last night. 

We won the turd

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's not true.   Wrestling is fake with all outcomes already decided before any matches. 

You must have never lived outside of NA, were most big money games are like wrestling due to the gambling money.  If you re read my comment,  I did say the games are managed to get an expected but due to luck & players performance a game can still unpredictable.

5 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Seems like a little slow development curve for woo?  He's the type of dman to fill these guys shoes.  Just not sure he will ever be good enough but I haven't followed him that close to say for sure .  

He will fill these shoes if he’s not traded prior to. His development isn’t slow, it’s right on pace when efficiently developing a prospect overall. 

4 minutes ago, AC30 said:

Way to go team!

We broke the 3 game losing skid in dramatic fashion by coming back from a two goal deficit in the final period to boot

It feels good! 
Our boys rose up from the mat and got it done against a very good Rangers team that is off to a hot start with a hot goalie!

Lets get behind this win and see this team put together a run here.

it can only get better here on out 

On to the next opponent!!!

GCG

100%!  We are winning 5 on 5.  Once we start playing the PP and PK game evens, we will go on some long winning streaks. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

39 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

I wonder how difficult it would be for Schenn to switch hands and start shooting left?  They do it in baseball. -_-

• Cheers 1