The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New York Rangers at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 02, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

I hear ya.

Pearson and Bo are tied at the hip no way around that. Nils gives them the spark.

The third...wow. Podz crashing and banging..showing he's got some "finisher" in him.

Dickey steady and sound. Brock the sniper with his 200ft game getting better and better.

Bailey's so fast yet young. Chiasson..the opposite:) Lammy knows how to defend and throw his weight around.

Looking forward to tomorrow night. GCG

True, the wild card to this line will be Podz. We've seen his ability to hound the puck and make really good passes. 

If we see chemistry between him Brock and Dickinson, watch out. 

I'm getting excited for tomorrow 

1 minute ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The more I listen to that sequence and watch it, as good as Demmer's saves were, John Shorthouse's commentary made it that much better. Shorty is a gem and a hell of a play by play commentator.

Hope Shorty gets a chance to call the biggest games eventually for this team moving forward on HNIC and playoffs. His voice is legendary

Undoubtedly. Shorthouse is my favorite. Super nice guy too.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Not often you watch a interview and are actually interested and hear different things that aren’t cliche. Schmidt was a good one but I liked that Garland interview 

Agree, he's a beauty pick up. Can't wait to have Motte and Garland running amuck. Team just needs more creativity and it's up to the players to take or reject certain parts of the script--treat the coaching like a guide vs. a rule.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why not try Myers as a net front? 6'8" 235 libs seems a lot harder to see through. 

He's actually fairly effective as a point man on the power play (part of the reason he was able to command that contract he got in free agency).  Granted, there's a longer lineup there with OEL & Hughes on the team.

5 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Hey Travis, calm down. 

I don't know what your fixation is to keep Chiasson on top PP. 

The whole point was to take him out, put in Garland and employ a different strategy to create more movement with our most skilled players. Chiasson is not the end all be all of netfront presence. We've managed ok without him in the past but now we've got even better players... 

I think poolman  ould be a good net front presence on  the pp...his deflection skills were pretty impressive last game.

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree that no one really shooting is the problem. But they need to move around a bit and make someone other than those 3 guys an actual threat the other team has to worry about.

Yeah the best power plays are ones with lots of movement with creative players adapting on the fly. Just this morning McD was commenting that set plays can be a good start but all their good power plays are the result of adapting and improvising once the play gets going.

Edit: Forgot to mention, McDavid is still a

image.jpeg.8c2ec282455bf5821a9966b92cacdf6e.jpeg

Edited by Gawdzukes

34 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why not try Myers as a net front? 6'8" 235 libs seems a lot harder to see through. 

As much as his big body serves as an enticing option, net front takes a lot of skill. Its more than just taking the goalies eyes away and being a unit to move, but requiring the proper timing and IQ when to push off to the side as a top option, placement of stick, when to play up in the crease and pulling off to the side to present a tap in option. Also as a net front you have to have some really good hands to make high danger passes into the slot for the bumper and short give and go relief of pressure passes which I don't know if Myers is really adept at doing.

IMO the best net front players on the PP are guys with not very big size at all.

I think of Joe Pavelski, Sidney Crosby, Brendan Gallagher, Ondrej Palat, below average size but have really good hands and hockey IQ where to place the puck and where to find it.

If we were to stick any Dman in front of the net....it should've been Edler....tell him to play goalie and he will automatically screen the goalie well LOL

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's actually fairly effective as a point man on the power play (part of the reason he was able to command that contract he got in free agency).  Granted, there's a longer lineup there with OEL & Hughes on the team.

He does have a hard shot. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Battlemonger said:

I don't know about that. The wrister that rang off the post and in the other day really rang off the post. There was some ooomph to that shot.

That's just one shot though. I think he's talking in general terms. Hughes shot is getting better for sure but overall I don't think anyone would consider it better than average at best. Not really surprising for a smaller player. I do have faith it will get better but when is the question. One thing OEL can do is get a heavy shot off in a split second, even on his back foot.

1 hour ago, Battlemonger said:

I don't know about that. The wrister that rang off the post and in the other day really rang off the post. There was some ooomph to that shot.

Plus he already has two goals as well...more than Pettersson despite being a D man.  His shot isn't the best in the league, but it is a lot stronger than year 1.  Also, shots from the point are always better if accurate.  Look at OEL, he as a good shot, but it's because it is a very accurate wrister.  The slapper isn't in his game really at all.  He had 20 goals one year only shooting wrist shots from the point.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

The more I listen to that sequence and watch it, as good as Demmer's saves were, John Shorthouse's commentary made it that much better. Shorty is a gem and a hell of a play by play commentator.

Hope Shorty gets a chance to call the biggest games eventually for this team moving forward on HNIC and playoffs. His voice is legendary

Yah, Shorty is up there in the top tier of commentators with Gord Miller (my personal favourite commentator) and Chris Cuthbert (although I think he was better when calling games in the early 2000s and he's also a much better football commentator).  As much as Hughson was beloved, he's never had the ability to consistently call games like these three.  And that's coming from a person who grew up with Hughson and his unforgettable calls of the 2007-2012 era.  There'll be no rival to his "GREAT SAVE LUONGO!", however overall these three call a more exciting game than anyone else.

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The problem with Hughes currently is he only really looks for EP. Every other team knows it and seriously cheats to stop that play. 

Would like to see OEL there more often tbh. He has a shot that gets through and on net and he uses both sides of the ice with his passes. Even if they replace Miller with OEL and keep Hughes there too we would be more effective IMO.

I'd definitely rather them replace Miller with oel if they are gonna move someone, and maybe have Garland as the bumper/rover if anything. That would imply taking either chaisson or horvat off. Horvat would improve he 2nd pp but I think I'd take chaisson off 

20 hours ago, iceman64 said:

we'll see you on the bandwagon? Sorry but this team has way too much talent and more on the way so we can have depth for it, that's a thing.. this franchise has never had that EVER in a sell the farm for a cup mentality that got us how far exactly? let's see..  wait.. wait.. exactly zero cups..  

At least JB is doing something, but it was MG signing all those longterms that killed it for us until NOW, for once. does it need work and development? certainly but at least we have a team now that just needs playing time together and further development of guys like Klimovich but it's coming... and NOT thanks to MG.. thank fuc_ that's over with! 

JB is doing sth, yet he traded a lot of picks, that is my main issue with him, i am all about building through the draft and having a strong farm team, but JB is not the only person in the world who can do it for us.

Edited by alucard

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Probably because if he gets hit by the puck and goes down ... so does our season.   He'd be fun to watch though infront of the net.   Plus he's got a good shot himself...and it's more about how wide you are anyways, i guess if you had him play bent over and got his neck in there too ... no goalie could see through that lol.   

• Haha 2

We have the 2nd tallest player in the NHL, would love for Myers to give the net front presence a try. We tried it with Tryamkin and it was okay, but Myers is 3 inches taller. Would look actually kinda hilarious. 

Nashville goalie is 5’9 or 5’10. Get Myers in front of him and see what happens LOL

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Probably because if he gets hit by the puck and goes down ... so does our season.   He'd be fun to watch though infront of the net.   Plus he's got a good shot himself...and it's more about how wide you are anyways, i guess if you had him play bent over and got his neck in there too ... no goalie could see through that lol.   

So net front = girth.:lol:

His shot is a benefit, and with OEL, he's having a great start to the season. Having him as a net front is a bad idea, you're right. The offensive blackhole of previous games has overshadowed how much the defense has improved. Thank you, Brad Shaw.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Odd. said:

We have the 2nd tallest player in the NHL, would love for Myers to give the net front presence a try. We tried it with Tryamkin and it was okay, but Myers is 3 inches taller. Would look actually kinda hilarious. 

Nashville goalie is 5’9 or 5’10. Get Myers in front of him and see what happens LOL

Maybe when we play Calgary?   Markstrom lol... have to get on his tippy toes before dropping down