The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 07, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

59 minutes ago, nynuck said:

Was talking to my brother-in-law about this team the other day because he pointed out their record to me. I told him that almost all of their losses have been by 1 goal, their PP & PK were pretty terrible thus far, & once 1 of those starts to click, they'll be winning games. Low & behold. They get 3 PP goals & win by 3. Without those, Brock doesn't get the opportunity for the empty netter, and assuming all other goals still stand ... we lose another 1 goal game 3-2. Hope they can keep up the PP success that they had last night.

Lets say that it went the other way & we killed all penalties & didn't get 3 PP goals... Assuming Brock still gets that empty netter, that's a 3-1 win.

Special teams, baby. Makes all the difference,

I don't know a one goal 1 loss in regulation is just as a bad as a 4 goal loss to me. it's still an L and 0 points to bump the team up in the standings.

And I am still not sure if win was a product of the Canucks figuring out or the Stars just having a terrible night. Looking at the expression of Khudobin and Bowness it could be more the latter.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yeah that big dumb Myers.  We'd be hooped if either him or OEL goes down. 

About Myers: my MAIN criticism is based on his tendency to screw up on clearing attempts - especially, in the PK or when pressured cause it had cost the team a few goals against in the PK or 5v5; and last night there was a perfect example, during the Stars first goal in there PP cause of a weak attempt to ring it around the boards that cost the Canucks another goals against in the PK - even Cheech made a point to call it out.

OEL has been playing lights out; and I've been KEENLY watching Myers in the PK or in 5v5 when exiting our zone; and this is a flaw in his game that I hope the staff had identified and will mitigate cause it has cost the team goals or even games.  Perhaps before making a post, TRY OBSERVING IT FOR YOUR SELF cause after all, this is a discussion forum.   

Just wondering and as a fellow Canuck fan LIKE YOU, what is wrong in calling out and having a discussion about a noticeable flaw on Myers that is bothering you ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Petey finally scored because he tried something different. Rather than that predictable, long, slow windup for his slapper from the right slot, he shot a nice wrister from the middle. He had a good game, a lot of guys did. 

who knew moving guys around on the PP would help? oh right, everyone.

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Lol ya if he gets plus 40/50 maybe but chance of that happening? Prolly prolly closer to 0. The avg highest +/- is around 35 the last dunno how many years. With one odd exception in Karlsson that 1 year. The fact that he only has 2 hits and 9 blocks you almost view him not even a defenseman so I doubt he even gets a nomination unless he's leading the league in points and +/- 

Makar was 2nd in Norris voting its about more than pking. More emphasis is on points that's why a guylike Tanev would never win. Not saying that's fair but this league is all about flash. If Cale hadn't missed so many games he would have won over Fox.

20 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think this is actually a pretty big deal and it's one area where the loss of Sutter and Beagle really shows....

Right now, it's Bo and Miller and then everyone else as far as faceoffs go and I think it's no small part in the struggles of the PK so far this year....

No Sutter, Beagle and Motte on the pk is really hurting especially the former.  We lose far to many FO and it's basically Canon on the pks that do well is good FO%

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Makar was 2nd in Norris voting its about more than pking. More emphasis is on points that's why a guylike Tanev would never win. Not saying that's fair but this league is all about flash. If Cale hadn't missed so many games he would have won over Fox.

Byram in Col ain't looking too bad - good trade by Sakic to get a first from an ever rebuilding Ottawa team in that Duchesne trade.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Makar sure is injured a lot.  He's injured again!  The guy is very fragile.  And add that to his desire to push the play by carrying the puck (his look at me go mommy game) instead of passing and it's easy to see why he's injured so often.  

#hatethemall!

Even his own fanbase has started to turn after there horrible start to the season. 

Well that was a pleasant but unexpected surprise. 
Nice to see one of the special teams click at least. 
We have been getting good secondary scoring this year, it is the primary that has been missing. Looks like starting to wake up. 
Hopefully this starts a string of good play or it will be a very steep climb to the playoffs very soon. 

8 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just want to say

With how hard and accurate Podkolzin shoots the puck

Maybe he should be the slot man on the 2nd PP unit

Somewhat like how Horvat is used.......

I agree but

pp2 = 20 secs?

If pp1 looks lame on  2 tries., why not start pp2 on 3 penalty?

Create competition to get that bonus to pad stats as well

• Cheers 2

58 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its going to be a summer of tough decisions, but I now think we can keep Miller with all the other moves made. Big issue is Brocks deal, which I hope they are working on now, that's going to eat most of the cap space. But after that we're filling holes with ELCs like Lockwood,and maybe Woo.

Summers over but yes next summer is going to be just as difficult to deal with as the last two.   Trading Miller i really think that won't happen unless we are bottom ten again.   Even then maybe not.    Should we trade him?  Well if he doesn't re-sign for something like 6.5 - 7 x 8 then probably.   

Edited by IBatch

21 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Makar plays about 1 min of pk a game vs hughes avg 6 sec of pk per game over the entire season. Sure it's not all about the pk it's more flash but you ain't gonna win or get nominated if you can't play in all situation and dominate on points. Otherwise Tyson barrie would have gotten a few Norris votes and I think he ended up with 0

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Summers over but yes next summer is going to be just as difficult to deal with as the last two.   Trading Miller i really think that won't happen unless we are bottom ten again.   Even then maybe not.    Should we trade him?  Well if he doesn't re-sign for something like 6.5 - 7 x 8 then probably.   

thats what I mean, next summer. We won't be able to make any major changes, but maybe thats OK, give his group two years to gel and make a real run in 2-3 seasons. 

Its more possible to me now that Myers might be the guy moved if we need cap space.