The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Anaheim Ducks | Nov. 14, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

^^^ This is what is wrong with the Canucks.   It's not Green.  It's not any of the coaches.  It's not the forwards - it's our defense.  

We only have 2 good defensemen.  Forwards are spending too much time trying to help the defense instead of being offensive.

Really watch the games, watch what happens when OEL or Hughes isn't on the ice.  Heck, if they're not together - it's still tough.

This is more Benning's fault - hasn't been able to shore up the defense enough.

If Green is let go - not one top NHL coach will want to coach here unless that defense is improved.  

Not sure that's totally accurate.   Poolman and Myers are serviceable, QHs is a rover and is enjoying the fruits of JB labour to bring OEL in more then any other player.   That said the rest are either average 7th depth defenseman or AHlers - so agree our D is still lacking.   There is nothing wrong with a team defense system.   Trotz is the best in the business by far ... not like their D is full of talent when he took over was it?   Decent at best.

Until the last three games i was hoping the locker room was going to play for Green.   They kind of did and didn't at the same time .... came out strong and lost 7-4 after a disaster of a game in Colorodo.   Our PK is just complete trash.  Shaw hasn't fixed that has he?  That said I don't see much other course for JB at this time other then to fire Green, and appoint Shaw the interim coach.   Fired Brown ... should maybe of fired Bomber correct?    JB might end up like Nonis.   Did some great things like trade Bertuzzi for Luongo, and had one of our best drafts ever - and a couple stinkers after as well.   Not much choice at this point other then to just keep things going until the season is over.   I'm starting to worry about JB more then our coaching.   At the very least he should be looking at a team with a PKer on the left side and giving Shaw or whomever a better chance then Green had going into this.   Green made his own bed letting OJ go.   And Gadjs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Those thinking this is a power struggle between Bo and Miller, this quote was from yesterday:

As for Hirsch....he may be on the plane/bus but he's not in the room.  I've seen two reports about how it's off limits (Imac was outside the room during the broadcast...it's a no go zone).  Again, frustration's bound to seep in and he may see some of that but it doesn't mean there's an issue.  JT's obviously an alpha.   Team needs that.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-notebook-hobbling-miller-returning-motte-should-provide-inspiration

First, I doubt Bo would say otherwise.

I don't think there is a power struggle, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is conflicting leadership happening in the room.  I think Bo and JTM have quite different personality types, and that could be leading to the difference. 

IMO this team definitely has a split somewhere in the room - the lack of any cohesion on-ice reflects that

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

So Linden and Benning disagreed.  Linden thought stick to the rebuild, can't rush things, Benning said we can rush things and be good in a couple years.

Linden got fired.

Guess who was right, guess who told the owner what they wanted to hear.

Time for Benning to go.

to be fair, that wasn't Linden's original plan, that only happened when the Sedin re-jiggy failed.

I think the biggest change needs to be GM.

Right now they should be watching the waiver wire for defensive depth and help on bottom six. I still think the high end talent is here.

When you watch Motte compared to Bailey you quickly understand how bad our bottom six is.  The big thing to realize is that there problems are depth players.

Lockwood is getting things going. So is Woo.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

We need defense, the forwards are just fine.

Is Pettersson fine?

Is Horvat's performance and leadership fine?

Is Dickinson centering the 3rd line fine?

Is Pearson's inability to score consistently as a top 6 fine?

Is it fine not having a single right handed center on the team ?

Is the penalty kill of the forwards fine?

No, No , No No No No. No - Nothing is fine. Watch the games and watch the stats. They are telling you the truth.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I don't think there is an easy out at this point.  I thought pretty clear at the time as Linden was talking to the other GMs he trusted around the league and openly discussed that the consensus was can't rush the rebuild, then he got fired almost immediately.  

Aquillini has been clear his main goal is to see the team win the cup before his very elderly father dies, I think that pressure is a big problem for the club.

I do feel that we are still lacking the two hardest thing to get, a number one centre and a quality right shot D.  Petey needs to go to the wing.  We don't need a super dynamic scorer for his centre, we need a body that can open up the ice. 

The only thing we know for sure was that he was busy talking to GMs to find out what the team needed.    The "script" was all made up by the media from there on out - and really not from great sources.   Unless you can show me some Linden quotes or a GM quotes that he talked to about what his plan was going or be... which as far as i know can't be done - it's still supposition.   Intelligent assumptions sure - just like him being hired as a human deflector shield when the Sedins were going down.   He always defended his vets too.  Where a whole pile of CDCers wanted JB to not honour their contracts and get a move on.    

As for the rest ...  The re-tool was really the only option.   They don't often work ... sometimes they do like Wilson managed in SJ though or almost work anyways.    I'm ready for a new GM too.  If that's what it takes.   Aqua needs to sign off on this ... and we absolutely need a President as well.   One who is a good hockey man.   That's done his time as a former GM or whatever.    Not just a deflector shield.   So hard pass on the Sedins. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Right now they should be watching the waiver wire for defensive depth and help on bottom six. I still think the high end talent is here.

When you watch Motte compared to Bailey you quickly understand how bad our bottom six is.  The big thing to realize is that there problems are depth players.

I dunno if it was all Green or Jimbo or both.... they tend to favour certain players like Bailey and refused to let proven ones like Di Giuseppe play!! That's what pissed me off the most... and I hate to repeat this over & over again...... it's so obvious that Juolevi is more reliable than Hunt... and I feel bad for Hunt... he knows he's just a limited fringe guy who doesn't mind making a living on a 2-way contract and everytime he gets the few minutes on ice, every mistake gets magnified!!

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Is Pettersson fine?

Is Horvat's performance and leadership fine?

Is Dickinson centering the 3rd line fine?

Is Pearson's inability to score consistently as a top 6 fine?

Is it fine not having a single right handed center on the team ?

Is the penalty kill of the forwards fine?

No, No , No No No No. No - Nothing is fine. Watch the games and watch the stats. They are telling you the truth.

Stats are skewed as they are trying to make up for the lack of defense!

3 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Stats are skewed as they are trying to make up for the lack of defense!

Yup you’ve got guys like Horvat, who while passable defensively, isn’t the type of center you want to take all the hard defensive assignments,  but he gets that job because we’ve got no strong defensive centers.  Same with Miller who is more effective offensively as a winger but is moved to center because nobody other than Horvat can take a face off.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I do think JB is more of the issue than Green. No idea, after having the most successful playoff the franchise had had in a decade, why JB thought it was a good idea to dump ALL those important pieces. Markstrom, Tanev, Toffoli & Stecher all had a significant impact on the team’s playoff run. Demko has been a more than capable replacement for Marky, but the other 3? Holy cow did JB drop the ball on those guys. I’ve read a lot of autobiographies by former players & coaches in hockey, and all of them have been on at least a few successful teams. They all say the same thing, “character & leadership are the engine to drive success.” They all talk about how close-knit the successful teams are, a brotherhood, a family. Even minimally talented teams can go really really far if they’re close, if they’re brothers. Does that sound like the current version of the Vancouver Canucks to you?

They’re all wearing the same blue & green jerseys, but believe me, THIS IS NOT A TEAM

15 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Fully disagree, as do many others.

Of course you do. Because you need to craft a narrative that management and coaching have to be kept because no one better is available. 

Name one coach you think would choose not to coach this team due to the roster? And if the roster is that bad isn’t that managements fault for building it and ownerships fault for trusting inept management?