The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

10 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think what I’m more curious to see is the crowd’s reaction tomorrow night. Will we hear boos if they go down a couple goals in the first period or the game is out of hand late? Maybe some “fire Green” chants? 

Aqua’s probably reluctant to fire Green and/or Benning for financial reasons but you can’t ignore behaviour like that from your fanbase, especially the ones who are actually bothering to shell out money for tickets. 

I can see there being a visceral reaction from the crowd. Hopefully just boos rain down, and not specific chants. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I can see there being a visceral reaction from the crowd. Hopefully just boos rain down, and not specific chants. 

If Green is behind the bench I want to see jerseys and trash rain down on the ice. And the ol unwanted middle children too......

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

The fan in me wouldn’t mind some “fire Green” chants but the human part of me would hate it. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to be the coaches who have to sit there and hear it. 

Yeah, it's in really poor taste to chant that. Green is in over his head and has run out of options. To call for his head publicly is just pathetic. 

• Cheers 3

43 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Chiapet was a dumpster fire GM in Boston too. Guess who really set them up for their decade of success? Interim GM Jeff Gorton. Traded up to draft Marchand. Signed Chara and Horton. Traded garbage for Rask.

I say hire Gorton as president of hockey opts effectively demoting Jim. Good compromise to enact change at the management level while also avoiding player fall out with sudden management overhaul early in the season. 

Let Gorton decide if Jim is still suitable to be GM if not he can can Jim at the end of the season and take over himself or hire another GM. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I think what I’m more curious to see is the crowd’s reaction tomorrow night. Will we hear boos if they go down a couple goals in the first period or the game is out of hand late? Maybe some “fire Green” chants? 

Aqua’s probably reluctant to fire Green and/or Benning for financial reasons but you can’t ignore behaviour like that from your fanbase, especially the ones who are actually bothering to shell out money for tickets. 

To be honest that's the only reason I'll watch.

• Haha 1

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

To match the trash effort on the ice?

Yes.

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yeah, it's in really poor taste to chant that. Green is in over his head and has run out of options. To call for his head publicly is just pathetic. 

The crowd should just sing Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye at the end of the game when they lose....

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

The fan in me wouldn’t mind some “fire Green” chants but the human part of me would hate it. I can’t imagine what it would feel like to be the coaches who have to sit there and hear it. 

They deserve it after throwing the players under the bus instead of accepting responsibility for their own incompetence.

• Wat 2

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll say it again

At the end of Sept, people on this forum who over the last 2 weeks have said otherwise, as well as hockey pundits claimed the canucks had the deepest most skilled team they've iced since 2012.  Now they want them gone.

I'd fire Green yesterday, everything about the on ice product is HIM.  The EXACT same issues we've seen for years, it's on him.

Benning, has had 8 years and his leash should be shorter than that of an angry pitbull in a daycare.

I'd say Green needs to be gone yesterday, I gave him 30 games hope he doesn't make 20.

Benning, I'd keep until the 2023 draft under the provision he is NOT allowed to trade any picks and see what it would take to retain him as either assistant GM or head/chief of scouting where his talents really shine.

So Green 3 games or less

Benning 2022 Draft or end of 2023 season/draft

The people who were saying this were the same people who said last season was a fluke. It's the same people who believed the bubble performance was representative of the level of team, despite it being a 1 month sample size and were for the most part outplayed. Many projections had us missing the playoffs, but of course no one wanted to believe this, any critical or objective takes were dismissed as "negative". 

If you're actually paying attention it shouldn't come as a surprise that the team is struggling. We've been terrible for the better part of 8 years and the same holes in the roster that plagued the team this whole time still exist today. Benning didn't fix the major problems with the team: defense, no 3C, weak bottom 6. At the end of the day, the story remains the same, trying to find any excuses for why the team is struggling and never just accepting the fact that the team was mismanaged and poorly constructed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1