The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, PLOGUE said:

The wording of this leads me to believe that we will see Miller traded within a week. Benning isn't going to throw his coach that he just extended under the bus so he's probably going to point to Miller, his much reported on behavior on ice and the quote where he said he would like to see some change and say they need his voice out of the room.

I hope I'm wrong & Green is gone but this smells like a chance for the GM to save his & the coaches butts.

If this were about a GM saving his job, and it comes down to getting rid of one of: the re-signed coach or the player you traded a first round draft pick for and is currently leading the team in points. Which would you choose? Coach seems like a no-brainer. Who cares if you just re-signed him? He makes far less than a player. Just a tiny employee in the grand scheme. Trading away Miller makes the team worse and is likely to lead to JB’s demise. A new coach might be able to turn things around pretty quick.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Not really being upset, more like they will see it as the season is already lost and ownership is writing them off.

Or they see it as ownership won’t accept that it is a lost season and are showing faith in the players as a group rather than trading guys to save Benning and Green yet again.

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Or they see it as ownership won’t accept that it is a lost season and are showing faith in the players as a group rather than trading guys to save Benning and Green yet again.

Hence the compromise of firing Green and bringing Gorton or some other big name as president of hockey op.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I'll say it again

At the end of Sept, people on this forum who over the last 2 weeks have said otherwise, as well as hockey pundits claimed the canucks had the deepest most skilled team they've iced since 2012.  Now they want them gone.

I'd fire Green yesterday, everything about the on ice product is HIM.  The EXACT same issues we've seen for years, it's on him.

Benning, has had 8 years and his leash should be shorter than that of an angry pitbull in a daycare.

I'd say Green needs to be gone yesterday, I gave him 30 games hope he doesn't make 20.

Benning, I'd keep until the 2023 draft under the provision he is NOT allowed to trade any picks and see what it would take to retain him as either assistant GM or head/chief of scouting where his talents really shine.

So Green 3 games or less

Benning 2022 Draft or end of 2023 season/draft

Benning actually has value to this team, Green has zero value.  Benning seems to me like he might be best suited as a wingman like he was in Boston.  He probably would perform much better with less responsibility.  A new President who can oversee everything might work out best and have Benning as his right hand man, so Benning isn't the one actually pulling the trigger on the trades but is heavily involved in scouting and the draft.  The President can also hire a guy who is just in charge of the cap and salaries.  This was the arrangement under Burke and Gillis when Burke had Nonis and Gillis had Gillman.  

32 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Hence the compromise of firing Green and bringing Gorton or some other big name as president of hockey op.

The time is over for compromises designed with no practical purpose other than to save either the coach’s or the GM’s job. They have had their chances. Benning tied himself to Green so needs to go too as a result of messing that decision up and also hiring totally useless assistant coaches.

Jim Rutherford as PoHO and interim GM. Or Lombardi. Someone with real respect around the league and the chops to do the job. Gorton should be the first guy interviewed for long term GM.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Really? So you honestly believe the teams struggles in both ends of the ice, at 5 on 5 and with special teams... is because of the players? Not coaching?

When I see our star player giving away the puck and falling down every shift because his skating is inept, I wonder if the money he signed for is weighing him down.

There are others as well.

this funk is not to be blamed on one person.

Others are playing soft and not sticking up for co workers..  Horvat is touted in this town to be a Shane Doan type player.. clearly he is not..  and I think Miller should have the “C”.

Yes, let’s discuss why this team is losing. Lol. You could save yourself a meeting and look at the worst pk, a bad pp, no depth. Too many coaches without NHL experience. Did I mention no depth. Do you really have to have a meeting to discuss why? I don’t get ownership. Too many friends in this organization.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

When I see our star player giving away the puck and falling down every shift because his skating is inept, I wonder if the money he signed for is weighing him down.

Others are playing soft and not sticking up for co workers..  Horvat is touted in this town to be a Shane Doan type player.. clearly he is not..  and I think Miller should have the “C”.

Ok sure, if a player falls down thats not the coaches fault. But honestly look at this teams playing style under Green. It's like he hates checking or any physicality. Any grit we had has either been benched, put on waivers or its been coached out of them. 

Edited by JayDangles
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

No one should be suggesting that responsibility only falls on the coach or the gm or this player or that player.

It’s the mix of all of it. The easiest change to make with the lowest risk, highest reward is the coaching. A close second is management. They have already turned over the roster a ton and the results are the same. 

Horvat was more like the captain we need when he was trying to prove he was the captain. Miller is the real C on this team and whether or not that is a good thing is open to debate.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks can't cut corners anymore.

VAN hired an NHL rookie GM (Benning), and then later an NHL rookie head coach (Willie), who was fired. So they hired another NHL rookie head coach (Green) with an NHL rookie assistant (Baumgartner). They brought in the Sedins to do who knows what, but again - two NHL rookie executives. 

Get some quality people in there who know what they're doing!

But Travis Green and Jim Benning are veterans now.

You have to be careful with the alternatives out there. They were all fired from their previous teams for a reason. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Who knows. 

Three scenarios:

1.Fire sale. Clean house. 

2. Status quo. Let the current members work it out. Not even 20 games in. 

3.  Wait and see. Change in mid season if needed. 

Probably #2

As long as it's still making money, ownership currently sees no sense spending more money on their property.

Edited by GB5
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

You can't win when your coach is a cancer in the room though.    Allowing that piece of garbage to coach another game is simply not acceptable.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Green is a piece of garbage, but he clearly isn't an elite NHL coach. 

One thing that annoys me about Benning and the Aqua's, is how they are more than willing to over-invest in leadership and intangibles as far as players go, but have a tendency to skimp on money and pay for cheap coaching (i.e. promoting AHL level coaches that are looking for NHL opportunities).   I didn't mind that we gave Green an NHL opportunity to start his career, but Benning should have upgraded Green after the 2020 bubble playoffs (as I thought he'd do). How Benning passed on Gerard Gallant still boggles my mind.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Ok sure, if a player falls down thats not the coaches fault. But honestly look at this teams playing style under Green. It's like he hates checking or any physicality. Any grit we had has either been benched, put on waivers or its been coached out of them. 

I don’t see that..  I see a frail  young team , needing leadership on the ice.

I think it’s time to trade horvat

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Maddogy said:

But Travis Green and Jim Benning are veterans now.

You have to be careful with the alternatives out there. They were all fired from their previous teams for a reason. 

Name one of the possible candidates who would possibly be worse than a coach who can't be trusted to set the lineup, can't implement effective systems, can't figure out special teams, and won't take any responsibility when the team underachieves?

• Like 1

Would love to know the outcome of the meeting. Did Benning come up with a plan to deal with the issues plaguing the team? What is the plan? Will he trade a few players to shake up the roster? If he does, what type of players will he trade for? What identity will the team have going forward? The identity of the team right now is nothing. They have no identity. The Oilers have an identity, as do the Flames. They're playing well and for each other. By comparison, the Canucks are a team of individuals led by a revolving door of "team leaders", coached by people who really have very little idea as to how to coach them to win. 

The majority of this falls on Jim Benning. He's the architect of this mess, and if Aquilini gives him carte blanche to fix it, well...........Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Cheers 2

If the owner isn't going to sell, at least please look in the mirror and understand that your meddling is a roadblock to success. Then, in the offseason:

- Fire Benning

- Fire Green

- Take the time to hire a President of Hockey Ops who can make the right decisions about the next GM

- Hire that GM; let that GM pick the coach

- 2022-2023 = let the executive (Coach, GM, President) evaluate the core of this team

- Let the executive decide on whether a full-rebuild or just a re-tool is needed

- Explain to the fanbase that the last 8-10 years of substandard play cannot be used to rush performance. Those years were clear mistakes. Can't put duct tape over a bullet wound. Might need to start all over; this time the rebuild will be done the right way instead of overpaying FAs to try and stay afloat. 

I don't want Benning/Green to be fired in-season... not because I think they deserve their jobs, but because I do not trust Aqua to make a rushed decision about who should step in.