The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini To meet with Jim Benning today

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Friedman is speculating. There needs to be changes made. There is no fix that doesn't involve personnel changes. Maybe Aquilini is having the meeting to see if Benning even has a plan. 

Green and now Benning need to go. This is beyond the coach. There is no leadership on the management front.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He threw his team under the bus and refused to take any accountability for his gross incompetence.  That's absolutely pitiful and no player in their right mind would respect that clown afterwards.

I stand by what I said.  Green is a locker room cancer and has no business coaching at the NHL level.

Your fired up ! Love the passion for the team. 

Still Green is just a guy who’s lost his team. I bet he’s a good guy away from the game.  At least he’s not verbally assaulting players or covering up sexual assaults. No that is a different level of garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Benning and Green should both get their walking papers, but given the amount of money that Francesco has lost these last 2 years it probably won't happen 

The Canucks have been an excellent write off for the family as their net worth has swelled with Real Estate. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bertorama said:

Your fired up ! Love the passion for the team. 

Still Green is just a guy who’s lost his team. I bet he’s a good guy away from the game.  At least he’s not verbally assaulting players or covering up sexual assaults. No that is a different level of garbage. 

Isn't that just as much of an assumption as saying he's a piece of garbage? 

part of an illegal gambling ring... forced his way into an NHL job via threats to quit his AHL gig... actually, it's an even larger assumption I'd say..

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You can't win when your coach is a cancer in the room though.    Allowing that piece of garbage to coach another game is simply not acceptable.

Right I'm with you. Just presenting something. New GM comes in, decides that the on ice product needs to change, believes the team is underperforming. At this point the GM meets with the coaching staff and says, here is the type of play this team is built for. This is the type of team I will design. He asks straight up if Green and Baumer can deliver that style. They say yes.... team starts working new systems. They say no.. well theres the door. 

Thats how I seee things going with a new GM

• Cheers 1

The wording of this leads me to believe that we will see Miller traded within a week. Benning isn't going to throw his coach that he just extended under the bus so he's probably going to point to Miller, his much reported on behavior on ice and the quote where he said he would like to see some change and say they need his voice out of the room.

I hope I'm wrong & Green is gone but this smells like a chance for the GM to save his & the coaches butts.

4 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I've been disappointed long enough and am really not expecting anything to come from this meeting.

I expect more of the same spin.

Bingo, me too. 

Ideally JB comes out of it, fires Green and then resigns himself. Put the Twins as Interim GM's and give the bench to Shaw or someone else that has a history of rehabilitating star players. This team has too many great pieces to be this bad. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Right I'm with you. Just presenting something. New GM comes in, decides that the on ice product needs to change, believes the team is underperforming. At this point the GM meets with the coaching staff and says, here is the type of play this team is built for. This is the type of team I will design. He asks straight up if Green and Baumer can deliver that style. They say yes.... team starts working new systems. They say no.. well theres the door. 

Thats how I seee things going with a new GM

I don't care what they say, they've proven to be grossly incompetent.  Green can't even be trusted to set the lineup.  I see a new GM wanting actual coaches he doesn't have to micromanage.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PLOGUE said:

The wording of this leads me to believe that we will see Miller traded within a week. Benning isn't going to throw his coach that he just extended under the bus so he's probably going to point to Miller, his much reported on behavior on ice and the quote where he said he would like to see some change and say they need his voice out of the room.

I hope I'm wrong & Green is gone but this smells like a chance for the GM to save his & the coaches butts.

Yeah what a way to ease things over with the fanbase by dealing the guy leading your team in points and one of the select few players who actually has physicality in his game. 

The only way anything gets truly fixed is if there is a complete overhaul and culture change and that starts with Benning and the coaches. This is his mess and he’s had long enough to fix it. The Canucks are Buffalo-esq right now, taking the heat off of them for being the laughing stock of the league. It’s pathetic. 

• Cheers 1

Absolutely nothing happens OR Benning gets MORE ROPE for his ineptitude building a roster and hiring AHL coaches.

Watch Julien get hired, the team remains mediocre and Miller/Boeser get traded for an over the hill skater with a bloated contract but good character.

Nearing the worst run franchise now in the entire league or bottom 5 in all of sports.

Edited by BureBurrito

5 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

I hope to God you are wrong. Miller is the heart and soul of this team. He is the only player that looks like he really cares and is one of the few that has a physical side to his game. I will be so angry if Miller was traded away!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll say it again

At the end of Sept, people on this forum who over the last 2 weeks have said otherwise, as well as hockey pundits claimed the canucks had the deepest most skilled team they've iced since 2012.  Now they want them gone.

I'd fire Green yesterday, everything about the on ice product is HIM.  The EXACT same issues we've seen for years, it's on him.

Benning, has had 8 years and his leash should be shorter than that of an angry pitbull in a daycare.

I'd say Green needs to be gone yesterday, I gave him 30 games hope he doesn't make 20.

Benning, I'd keep until the 2023 draft under the provision he is NOT allowed to trade any picks and see what it would take to retain him as either assistant GM or head/chief of scouting where his talents really shine.

So Green 3 games or less

Benning 2022 Draft or end of 2023 season/draft

How on earth does Benning get another year of doing the same thing? What is he going to do at the 23 draft when he trades all his picks (as he mostly has in his ENTIRE tenure)? Ownership down to the bench...maybe even the players needs a massive change.