The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canada's Men National Football Team (Soccer)

DefCon1

Sooo.....with Costa Rica's win and Panama's loss, I have CR 4 pts clear of Panama for the 4th qualifying spot. (Costa Rica can tie the Americans in points win a win on Wednesday, but their GD is way behind)

What this means (if my numbers are correct) is that Panama will have nothing to play for (besides pride) on Wednesday. Canada, OTOH, is still looking to move up in the world rankings....

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Sooo.....with Costa Rica's win and Panama's loss, I have CR 4 pts clear of Panama for the 4th qualifying spot. (Costa Rica can tie the Americans in points win a win on Wednesday, but their GD is way behind)

What this means (if my numbers are correct) is that Panama will have nothing to play for (besides pride) on Wednesday. Canada, OTOH, is still looking to move up in the world rankings....

Correct. And, if Canada loses to Panama by 1, they will still finish first as long as the US doesn't beat Costa Rica by three or more. The games are all scheduled at the same time, so there can't be as much gamesmanship. 

• Cheers 2

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

BC Place isn't a grass field though.  Isn't soccer at that high level played on grass and not astro turf?  

I think for qualifying it isn't a big deal.  There are numerous club teams and there have been major competitions using artificial turf.

The issue is for World Cups, every surface has to be the "same".  For the Women's hosted by us, all the games were played on artificial turf, something the US Women's team was complaining about just prior to the start of the competition.  I think the men's actually stipulates that games be played on grass, so if games were held in BC Place for the 26 Cup, we'd have to lay down grass.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

BC Place isn't a grass field though.  Isn't soccer at that high level played on grass and not astro turf?  

If they get the world cup games there's a way to lay the sod over the artificial. Don't ask me how, it was explained one day and it's quite the process but can be done with positive results

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, UnkNuk said:

Apparently, if Canada wins today against Panama they'll be placed in Pot 3 for the World Cup draw.

Any other result and they end up in Pot 4.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-could-get-pot-3-fifa-world-cup-draw

Thanks for this.....I was crunching numbers yesterday and based on the rankings of teams that have qualified, I had Canada in the very last spot in pot #3 (using the current FIFA world rankings)

I had no idea how they were going to seed the teams from the three vacant spots, as some of those teams (Wales, Ukraine, Peru, Colombia) are currently ranked ahead of Canada, while some of the other hopefuls (Scotland Costa Rica, New Zealand, Australia, UAE and Solomon Islands (yes, Solomon Islands, ranked 142nd) rank behind Canada.

I was wondering if Canada might have a chance to overtake either Poland (28) or South Korea (29), but I think now the bigger concern will be keeping ahead of Tunisia (36) and Cameroon (38)

I think a draw in Panama City might just keep them where they are, but I don't think they can chance it. As I said before, Panama is out and will be playing for pride only. Canada has something to play for....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks for this.....I was crunching numbers yesterday and based on the rankings of teams that have qualified, I had Canada in the very last spot in pot #3 (using the current FIFA world rankings)

I had no idea how they were going to seed the teams from the three vacant spots, as some of those teams (Wales, Ukraine, Peru, Colombia) are currently ranked ahead of Canada, while some of the other hopefuls (Scotland Costa Rica, New Zealand, Australia, UAE and Solomon Islands (yes, Solomon Islands, ranked 142nd) rank behind Canada.

I was wondering if Canada might have a chance to overtake either Poland (28) or South Korea (29), but I think now the bigger concern will be keeping ahead of Tunisia (36) and Cameroon (38)

I think a draw in Panama City might just keep them where they are, but I don't think they can chance it. As I said before, Panama is out and will be playing for pride only. Canada has something to play for....

The 2 playoff spots (Costa Rica vs New Zealand and Peru vs Aus/UAE) and the final European spot are put in pot 4.