The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Ya, the interview didn’t do him any favours.

He came across mostly as sullen and defensive.  He was asked about his future and the rumours with a softball question that could have quelled them a lot.  Instead he said he loves the role he is playing and isn’t looking at the future.

Reminds me a lot of Kesler, except without the funny parts.

We are well out of the playoffs, a loss in one of the coming two games combined with any teams we are chasing having a win or two pretty much cements it.  We have a good break after Saturday’s game which would be a good time to start making moves.  Maybe the Miller one doesn’t happen as the first one… but it should be in the works.

• Upvote 2

My worry is that they wait until next year to try and re-sign Miller, and he becomes difficult. We know he has a temper and is easily frustrated. Does Allvin want to have to deal with this next year?  Miller has given no indication he wants to play in VAN. He says he loves the role he's currently playing and enjoys playing in VAN, but that doesn't mean much. He could also want to play that role on a US team. His value will also be a lot lower after the TDL if he's not moved. 

I've been flip-flopping on what to do with Miller, he's a great player, but I think they should cash in their chips on him and look to the future. 

They have great goaltending in Demko, so now I'm hoping they rebuild the D, to be one of the best. A Miller return could really help them here.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 2

6 hours ago, Timråfan said:

What’s the problem with Kappo? He’s big and started playing in NHL when he was 18 and the numbers get better every year.

Fans expect 1st and 2nd overall picks to be able to jump into the NHL a play like a star.  Sometimes it takes longer

to adjust to the NHL.  Also, most of us have no idea how Kappo has been utilized on his team.  I've heard that, up

until recently, he has not played on a scoring line.

The concern is that he is in his 3rd year now and should be showing more offence than he has.  He was selected

high in the draft based on his season last season in SM-ligga, where he played on an excellent scoring line.  So,

the big question is...will he be more similar to Laine or more like Puljujarvi?

That interview was him saying all the right things but his actual use of the language and way he sounded just kinda made it sound like he was counting his days and running his contract out.

I get he just wants to play and all but if I'm JR I'm looking at suitors now

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

trading Miller, Garland, Boeser or 2/3 gives a lot of cap flexlibility and they can each return 2 good assets.

Miller to LA, COL, NYR, MIN makes a lot of sense

Boeser to NJD, DET, LA makes a lot of sense

Garland to WSH, LA, 

Miller + hoglander to NYR for Kappo, 1st, sammy blais, Lundquist

Boeser to LA for Kuapari, Brock Faber

Garland to DET for Hroneck

in offseason 

leaves a ton of cap to sign one top 6 F to in off season

Podz Petey ---big money UFA

Pearson Horvat Kappo

Motte Kuapari Blais

Lockwood Lammi Highmore

maybe move the first + Rathbone in off season for shea Theadore who is rumoured to be squeezed out from Vegas

Theadore Myers

Hughes Hroneck

OEL lundquist

Schenn

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Miller to LA for Brock Faber, Kuapari 2022 1st, boom

Brock + hoglander  to NJD for Holtz and 2022 3rd

Our Brock is a rockstar.

Their Brock is a nerd.

Hard Pass.

Byfield or bust. Only way I would trade within the division.

I hear the interview quite differently than others, it seems. Miller said it all the right way, imo. He understands the business and came across as a professional who, regardless of the rumours, goes out and does what he's paid to do, which is to do everything he can to win hockey games. He's mentally tough whereas others... possibly not so much. I want more Millers and less woe-is-me types who let trade rumours impact and dictate their play on the ice. If you want to win or get a big pay day, be a professional and play like it.

I didn't feel it came across as non-committal but rather someone who understands that the business can go either way, but the only thing you can do is play hard and see how things play out. 

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Fans expect 1st and 2nd overall picks to be able to jump into the NHL a play like a star.  Sometimes it takes longer

to adjust to the NHL.  Also, most of us have no idea how Kappo has been utilized on his team.  I've heard that, up

until recently, he has not played on a scoring line.

The concern is that he is in his 3rd year now and should be showing more offence than he has.  He was selected

high in the draft based on his season last season in SM-ligga, where he played on an excellent scoring line.  So,

the big question is...will he be more similar to Laine or more like Puljujarvi?

The Rangers seem to have a strategy withtheir prispects. One swede that didn’t liked it isgone now.

If I look at the stats I can see Kappo had loose leesh his first year with a lot of points and a lot of minus. 
Now he has less points but year after year his plu/minus gets better. 
It shows some development.

Just now, Timråfan said:

The Rangers seem to have a strategy withtheir prispects. One swede that didn’t liked it isgone now.

If I look at the stats I can see Kappo had loose leesh his first year with a lot of points and a lot of minus. 

not necessarily, it might mean they have been forced to put him with more defensively responsible players and sheltering him. 

Was listening to SN650 this morning and they were saying that NYR goalie Shesterkin is having a Vezina calibre season.  And they probably should make a run for the cup now.  Also said NYR needs to improve their bottom 6 and their D.

So maybe a bigger deal can be made.

Miller + Motte + Schenn

for

Laf/Kakko + Chytil + Schneider/Lundqvist + Othmann + 1st.

Myers to CBJ for (C/LW) Domi and (LD) Bean

Garland and Poolman to BOS for (LD) Zboril and (LW) Lysell 

Boeser to NJ for (LD/RD) Graves and 2nd (2022)

Miller to NYR for 1st (2022), (RW) Kravtsov and (LD) Lundkvist

Rathbone and Dickinson for a 3rd? (somewhere)

Hoglander - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Domi (Lysell) - Horvat - Kravtsov

Pearson - UFA - UFA

Highmore - Lammikko - Motte

* Domi's a UFA at the end of the season, maybe Lysell slots on that spot in 2022/23. Clearing cap, getting younger and faster

OEL - Graves

Hughes - Schenn

Zboril - Burroughs

Bean

Lundkvist

2022 Draft 

1st

1st

2nd

3rd

3rd

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Off course, but it also means he knows how to be reaponsible watching those guys play. 

hard to say, maybe he's a slow starter and just an "OK" player like Puljujarvi?

2 hours ago, coryberg said:

"I'm playing with this team and this is where I'm trying to get wins with these guys" 

Definitely sounds like he is being a good soldier and playing out his contract.

With an implied touch of "Oh man I hope they trade me this deadline".

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, I've wondered that as well about the Rangers.  Laf, Kappo and Chytil (this season) have underperformed

and now Kravstov (9th overall pick) has asked to be traded and will play in the KHL for the rest of the season.