The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Just listened to the Halford and Brough podcast. Reported that a NHL executive reported that Miller has not intention on resigning in Vancouver. I wonder who reported that it. Could be a team posturing trying to lower the price in a trade. I don't think we should trade him now, but gotta trade him in the offseason if he doesn't resign (which I don't think we should do anyways unless it's a 5 or 6 year deal max)

An NHL executive? That's pretty vague, and who outside of the Canucks has anything to say about what JT wants to do?  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Lafreniere, Schneider, and Kravtsov would be a nice return.

If we are looking to find a Miller type player, then Lafrenier has that kind of potential.  It's always a gamble though with young guys if they will get to that level.  Miller is one of the best players in the league the last couple years.  Big, strong, mean, skilled, ppg, center or wing, PP, PK, great on and off pucks, and a leader.  Maybe we should keep him?

21 hours ago, coryberg said:

Keep him until he walks next summer? No thanks.

It seems like every second post here people forget Miller may 100% not re-sign here for any price. They speak as if it it's up to us and it's just a matter of what we're willing to pay him. It's simply impossible for us to see how loyalty affects his decision. As in what is his level of commitment to Vancouver? Clearly he is very professional and speaks of wanting to win with this team right now, and how much he likes the players, but he doesn't express a deep attachment like say Wheeler (in my opinion) did before he signed his last contract. At least that's how I remember it. To be fair he got a great contract but he was a diehard Jet and he expressed as much all the time. Maybe the team and even this playoff run has galvanized the team and made JT want to stay here but it's just as likely he's a die-hard patriotic American and wants his kids to grow up there in a major US city.

I don't think anyone here dislikes JT but most people in the trade corner are taking into account all of the facets involved. Those who want to sign him are pretty optimistic that a bunch of factors will all fall into place. His desire to be here long term, cost of contract, length of contract, age, and loss of trade chip are all problematic factors and have a chance to completely screw this organization over for a long time.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller will re-sign with us providing we pay him 60+ million.  There is no other good team (and on the rise like us) that has that kind of cap room and will pay him that much.  They would need to go to 9 or 9.5 on their cap to get to the 64 million we can get to with an 8 x 8.  

If we want to keep Miller we certainly can and will.  

For any team trading for Miller they would be getting him for two playoff runs, and we'd be gutting out club.  The cost would be through the roof.  Remember he's not only a big, mean, skilled, centre.  He's also more than a ppg guy over the time with us.  He's currently top ten in scoring.  And he's a leader, who plays hard every shift.  

We really should keep him.

He's a player with high milage on his body due to his style of play, currently is his statistically prime with a very high likelihood of his numbers only decreasing after his current contact, has been on one of the best value deals in the league and never had a chance to pick where he played before after getting traded from Tampa right before they won't a bunch of cups.

Not only do I think he wouldn't want to stay, I think 8x8 for Miller would be a bad long term deal for the Canucks. That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I entirely disagree.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

23 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh I'll want to hear that for sure!!

It was either hour 3 of Thursday or hour 2 of Friday. I was in the shop and it was playing in the background so I'm not entirely sure where they said it.

Edited by Shayster007

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

He's a player with high milage on his body due to his style of play, currently is his statistically prime with a very high likelihood of his numbers only decreasing after his current contact, has been on one of the best value deals in the league and never had a chance to pick where he played before after getting traded from Tampa right before they won't a bunch of cups.

Not only do I think he wouldn't want to stay, I think 8x8 for Miller would be a bad long term deal for the Canucks. That's your opinion and your entitled to it, but I entirely disagree.

Then any Miller trade will happen this summer.  He's too important right now to the club to move.  Any offer would have to be insanely high. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Then any Miller trade will happen this summer.  He's too important right now to the club to move.  Any offer would have to be insanely high. 

I mean... Yeah I agree? That's what I said in my first post you replied to :P

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Just listened to the Halford and Brough podcast. Reported that a NHL executive reported that Miller has not intention on resigning in Vancouver. I wonder who reported that it. Could be a team posturing trying to lower the price in a trade. I don't think we should trade him now, but gotta trade him in the offseason if he doesn't resign (which I don't think we should do anyways unless it's a 5 or 6 year deal max)

if that info is true an the management team knows that, they absolutely need to move him at the tdl if they get the right deal.........whether they are in the playoff race or not

1 minute ago, stawns said:

if that info is true an the management team knows that, they absolutely need to move him at the tdl if they get the right deal.........whether they are in the playoff race or not

I agree, but it has to be the right deal. I just don't think we see that deal offered, personally.

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

I agree, but it has to be the right deal. I just don't think we see that deal offered, personally.

it has to, I agree, but if that is true and that info is out there, it probably lowers the asking price a bit and that means even lower once the season is over too.  Even if the deal isn't the astronomical deal fans dream about, it's still going to be better than what they get in the off season

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Miller will re-sign with us providing we pay him 60+ million.  There is no other good team (and on the rise like us) that has that kind of cap room and will pay him that much.  They would need to go to 9 or 9.5 on their cap to get to the 64 million we can get to with an 8 x 8.  

If we want to keep Miller we certainly can and will.  

For any team trading for Miller they would be getting him for two playoff runs, and we'd be gutting out club.  The cost would be through the roof.  Remember he's not only a big, mean, skilled, centre.  He's also more than a ppg guy over the time with us.  He's currently top ten in scoring.  And he's a leader, who plays hard every shift.  

We really should keep him.

Agree.  Alf is sober!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

It seems like every second post here people forget Miller may 100% not re-sign here for any price. They speak as if it it's up to us and it's just a matter of what we're willing to pay him. It's simply impossible for us to see how loyalty affects his decision. As in what is his level of commitment to Vancouver? Clearly he is very professional and speaks of wanting to win with this team right now, and how much he likes the players, but he doesn't express a deep attachment like say Wheeler (in my opinion) did before he signed his last contract. At least that's how I remember it. To be fair he got a great contract but he was a diehard Jet and he expressed as much all the time. Maybe the team and even this playoff run has galvanized the team and made JT want to stay here but it's just as likely he's a die-hard patriotic American and wants his kids to grow up there in a major US city.

I don't think anyone here dislikes JT but most people in the trade corner are taking into account all of the facets involved. Those who want to sign him are pretty optimistic that a bunch of factors will all fall into place. His desire to be here long term, cost of contract, length of contract, age, and loss of trade chip are all problematic factors and have a chance to completely screw this organization over for a long time.

You could at least pretend to understand the better parts of the opposing sides arguments… 

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I've shown in my other thread he will realistically be around 50pts at age 37 or 38, and may very likely retire by age 38.  That's based on historical trends.  $6.75m for a 50pt centre is not terrible at all.

That’s not being realistic. That’s being hopeful.

Look at the current NHL forwards who are 36+ yrs old right now. Only Bergeron, Pavelski, and Getzlaf are scoring at a .6 per game rate, this season.

Edited by shiznak

Once we show well in the playoffs, Miller will be recognized league-wide for his contributions to that success.

Once the playoffs are over, we can begin to negotiate an extension and Miller may want to continue to lead this group forward.

And, if he does not want to stay, he may be worth even more than he is now with the playoff successes on his CV.

I do not believe you build your team by trading your best player and team leader; all the other teams hold onto their #1s.

And, it is not as if he will be asking for a McDidnot 14 million AAV.

I would start to worry about the last 4 years of an 8 year deal about 6 years and 3 Stanley Cups from now.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Once we show well in the playoffs, Miller will be recognized league-wide for his contributions to that success.

Once the playoffs are over, we can begin to negotiate an extension and Miller may want to continue to lead this group forward.

And, if he does not want to stay, he may be worth even more than he is now with the playoff successes on his CV.

I do not believe you build your team by trading your best player and team leader; all the other teams hold onto their #1s.

And, it is not as if he will be asking for a McDidnot 14 million AAV.

I would start to worry about the last 4 years of an 8 year deal about 6 years and 3 Stanley Cups from now.

There's optimism and then there's whatever that is.. :lol:

• Haha 2

I swore JT said in an interview that he has always wanted to be in this type of role on a team. 

So, maybe that will impact his decision. Might not just want to be extra help on a team but more want to be in a main role. 

I'm obviously in the keep Miller camp. He plays hard and is durable, with all round attributes that are hard to find. His age doesn't worry me as a few players have had success going into their 30's

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

You could at least pretend to understand the better parts of the opposing sides arguments… 

I do. Your side is pretty simple lol. Miller is a very good hockey player with great intangibles. I've probably read 100 pages of this thread. Not much more to say. I think the chances of this going negative is greater than the positive outcomes and I said as much. I think it's fair to say you understand our side as well. I think everyone here has a pretty clear understanding of both sides actually. Or why not enlighten me if there is something else?

To be honest out of my group of posters I'm probably one of the more open to signing him. I get how hard good players are to find and how many different things he does well. I even believe its possible, not likely, but possible he maintains a decent level of play for 5 or 6 years.  My biggest concern is he simply isn't going to re-sign here no matter what we offer. On top of that it provides us a rare opportunity to make a major move to build for the future. Something we haven't done in 25 years. We need to be progressive as an organization instead of constantly chasing a fleeting opportunity. To me the math is stacked % wise in the trade Miller column. Maybe the keep Miller crowd are big gamblers? I don't know. You?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

There's optimism and then there's whatever that is.. :lol:

I'd rather plan to Win The Cup, than be a 'Realist' (their term for a Negative Nellie), or an internet GM wannabe who thinks they know more than anybody else.

"We're not good enough, trade our best players, we won't be able to afford them, fail for high draft picks, etc." is no way to build a winner, at least in my stupid opinion.

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

To be honest out of my group of posters I'm probably one of the more open to signing him. I get how hard good players are to find and how many different things he does well. I even believe its possible, not likely, but possible he maintains a decent level of play for 5 or 6 years.  My biggest concern is he simply isn't going to re-sign here no matter what we offer. On top of that it provides us a rare opportunity to make a major move to build for the future. Something we haven't done in 25 years. We need to be progressive as an organization instead of constantly chasing a fleeting opportunity. To me the math is stacked % wise in the trade Miller column. Maybe the keep Miller crowd are big gamblers? I don't know. You?

The return has to be an absolute kings ransom.

I dont think some still realise just how good he is, but more specifically the balance of skills he brings.

Rare breed. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1