The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

On 4/18/2022 at 9:55 AM, aGENT said:

.Nope. D peak later, last longer and I have little issue with OEL. I think his end of season performance here is closer to what we see moving forward, now that he's comfortable/adapted, and I'd wager his contract is only a minor annoyance in the last year, maybe two. Miller's contract that would take him from 1-3 years older, depending on term, on forwards to tend to regress 2 years earlier, and harder has all sorts of "albatross" warning signs in comparison.

Wasn’t really comparing contracts, but rather making a point that it’s hard to build a contender when you have two players in their 30s making 50m+ and it isn’t ideal for a team who is nowhere near in contention for the Cup.

Also, having that kind of money tied up on those players pretty much limits yourself in free agency/improvements on your roster.

• Cheers 2

PA - This is our offer, as high as we're able to go - $8 x 5 years

JT - :lol:  

PA - Okay, well, perhaps we could tweak that. How about $8.25 x 5?

JT - :picard:

PA - Hmm, I see I've displeasured you good sir. $8.5 x 6 years. Final offer!

JT - :mad:

PA - $8.75 x 6?  We can't go any higher.

JT - :sadno:

...and that was how JT Miller was traded

• Cheers 1

I’m guessing that a lot teams, NYR being one of them, were confident in their teams leading into the trade deadline and didn’t feel the need to pay the king’s ransom to attain Miller. 

However, after a bunch of these teams get ousted from the playoffs and they realize that they’re not quite as good as they thought, some of these teams might just circle back round to Miller in the offseason, realizing that he’s the type of piece they do need to take the next step to being a true contender. 

On 4/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, Alflives said:

July first 2022 JT Miller signs a new contract with us.  8.25 x 8 years.

July first 2022 Big Bo signs a new contract with us.  6.75 x 8 years.

July first 2022 Prince Bess signs.  6 x 2 years.

Free agency starts July 13th this year 

4 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

I’m guessing that a lot teams, NYR being one of them, were confident in their teams leading into the trade deadline and didn’t feel the need to pay the king’s ransom to attain Miller. 

However, after a bunch of these teams get ousted from the playoffs and they realize that they’re not quite as good as they thought, some of these teams might just circle back round to Miller in the offseason, realizing that he’s the type of piece they do need to take the next step to being a true contender. 

That's what I'm hoping for, we could get a good haul leading up to the draft/at the draft/post draft 

I firmly believe the Miller bit will be resolved one way or a other before next season begins 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

That's what I'm hoping for, we could get a good haul leading up to the draft/at the draft/post draft 

I firmly believe the Miller bit will be resolved one way or a other before next season begins 

If Miller isn’t traded before the draft, then we are signing him.  

53 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If Miller isn’t traded before the draft, then we are signing him.  

Dunno if I agree with that, the offseason gives plenty of time for things to shift

All it'd have to take is a team who wants to upgrade missing out on who they want via UFA, or them not liking the available options 

On 4/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Baggins said:

Wait, wouldn't Philly be giving up a bevy of that young talent to get Miller? Unless Miller actually 'wants' to go play in Philly for personal reasons I don't see why he'd agree to this spitballing notion. It makes no sense at all from the players perspective. Particularly if he really wants to pursue the cup in his final contract. I don't think young players that haven't lived up to their draft hype is much of a lure when he's already on a team, that's on the upswing, with young players who have lived up to their draft hype. It's a step backwards and crossing your fingers they might actually turn their game around.

I get that you are starry eyed over the potential Miller return. But Miller does have control over his future and you do have to consider that. I don't see why he'd agree to a long term deal with a bad team at this point in his career without a strong personal reason to be there. That doesn't mean he can't be traded to Philly. I just don't see the reason he'd agree to a long term deal with Philly with his options wide open next year. Meaning it doesn't make sense for Philly either with Miller on an expiring contract. I'm just viewing it from a logical perspective.

there is a lot of temptation to bring a similar team back.

Ex: Anyone see the article in the athletic about Garland? How he had a struggle getting set up in Van and had a really hard transition of a year (but he has had a career year in points and +/-...

Moving Pearson could be a win - I wonder if pit trades him for Kapanen- that is a curious case, he was playing 20 min on several nights from Oct-Jan now he is playing less than 10 min a game...

We need to improve the right side 1st and 2nd pair D...

I bet Pit and DAL would take Myers

DAL losing Klingberg, Letang may move on from Pit...Myers from Texas lol

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BPA said:

If training Miller, maybe add Dickinson to the mix.

To NYR…

Miller + Dickinson for Chytil + Schneider + 1st.

::D

If the Rags were offering this return for Miller and Dickinson then it should be pitchfork time for Allvin and the Chipmunks if they didn't get it done.

41 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

there is a lot of temptation to bring a similar team back.

Ex: Anyone see the article in the athletic about Garland? How he had a struggle getting set up in Van and had a really hard transition of a year (but he has had a career year in points and +/-...

Moving Pearson could be a win - I wonder if pit trades him for Kapanen- that is a curious case, he was playing 20 min on several nights from Oct-Jan now he is playing less than 10 min a game...

We need to improve the right side 1st and 2nd pair D...

I bet Pit and DAL would take Myers

DAL losing Klingberg, Letang may move on from Pit...Myers from Texas lol

Garland back to the desert dogs?  They do have trouble keeping their players, so Garland signed to four more years would be attractive.  He's also attractive to those other teams who struggle to sign their players to term and good cap hits.  So the Pig and the Teet suckers would be two desitinations as well.  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If the Rags were offering this return for Miller and Dickinson then it should be pitchfork time for Allvin and the Chipmunks if they didn't get it done.

Feels like that ship has sailed.  Copp has 18pts in 15 games and has meshed really well with Panarin.  Will be 28 - 2.5 years younger than Miller at extension age and will cost less.  Would expect them to try and retain him.  

• Vintage 1

Miller's value has dropped since the TDL. And now he's proven to not be a difference maker. 

Maybe Allvin can still trade him to the Bruins or Capitals, etc. but VAN might not get back the huge return.  Hopefully Miller accepts under $8 if he stays, he's not worth more and will be very overpaid in about 3-4 years.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Feels like that ship has sailed.  Copp has 18pts in 15 games and has meshed really well with Panarin.  Will be 28 - 2.5 years younger than Miller at extension age and will cost less.  Would expect them to try and retain him.  

We did miss the boat at the last TDL for getting the best return for Miller.  I wonder what the return will be this summer, and if it might be more at the 2023 TDL?

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Miller's value has dropped since the TDL. And now he's proven to not be a difference maker. 

Maybe Allvin can still trade him to the Bruins or Capitals, etc. but VAN might not get back the huge return.  Hopefully Miller accepts under $8 if he stays, he's not worth more and will be very overpaid in about 3-4 years.

Wait... what??  How has he proven he's not a difference maker?  13pts in his last 10 games during one of the most important stretches of hockey the Canucks have played this season.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wait... what??  How has he proven he's not a difference maker?  13pts in his last 10 games during one of the most important stretches of hockey the Canucks have played this season.

How many points on the last few games though?