The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So how'd it go today guys? Everybody still calm and rational? :)

Im worried about rational levels after July 13 if no deals done. I’m gonna stay calm till July 20th 1 week after free agency starts and jt extension talks can happen

by then we should have the lay of the land 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Well if they’d have to take Myers as one of the pieces so they have a right side dman to eat Jones minutes. He’s a downgrade but not a big commitment, and they still have a vet who can play his minutes. Good for locker room rather than just losing Jones and still fine for their tank.

But ya I’d give up some assets for Jones as long as it wasn’t crazy because his contract isn’t ideal.

money aside I think he’s be a perfect #2 for us and his age fits our window.

I don’t know if they want to keep Jones through a. Rebuild. If I was him I’d be devastated and want out asap. 9.5 million steep though and would alter our internal cap as EP and Hughes next contracts would have to be more than.

OEL-Jones

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Dermott

the contract side of it is the messy part already having OEL contract on our books though for sure. Probably keeps it from ever happening

200.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

So how'd it go today guys? Everybody still calm and rational? :)

Not looking great on Miller's projected numbers.

- Johnny Hockey seeking 10mill + (same age as Miller, and I'm assuming most on this board would prefer Miller over Gnome)

- Evgeni Malkin testing free agency as he wants to sign a 4 years extension that will take him to 39

- Valery Nichuskin signing an 8-year extension at $ 6.125M AAV

This could be at least a 9M AAV at 8 years ask.

• Huggy Bear 1

@Me_

listen to the interview on this SNET link below. Might change your perspective on what was communicated by Linden, especially his emphasis/focus on younger players in an attempt to gain traction and acceptance from fans on his proposed rebuild.

he also discusses the lottery and not once says they are going to win it. In fact he states the opposite, that the odds favour movement amongst the top picking teams. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/team-president-trevor-linden-admits-canucks-rebuild/

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, T.Demko said:

Not looking great on Miller's projected numbers.

- Johnny Hockey seeking 10mill + (same age as Miller, and I'm assuming most on this board would prefer Miller over Gnome)

- Evgeni Malkin testing free agency as he wants to sign a 4 years extension that will take him to 39

- Valery Nichuskin signing an 8-year extension at $ 6.125M AAV

This could be at least a 9M AAV at 8 years ask.

I fear a lockout is on the horizon in a few years.. these guys are asking for way too much $. 

Just now, Doxm said:

I fear a lockout is on the horizon in a few years.. these guys are asking for way too much $. 

Yeah but they are asking because they perpetually receive it from owners/GMs unwilling to show market solidarity.

if there’s another lockout, it’s on the owners this time, imho. 

at least overpriced RFAs are getting dumped this year as one measure. The only problem is that it only enables the upper end of the economy and the top tier players contracts becoming increasingly volatile.

2 minutes ago, Doxm said:

I fear a lockout is on the horizon in a few years..

Naw,  the BOG's will just Ok an expansion team in a borderline market and charge them a BILLION dollars,  everyone will be flush and happy lol..

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RWJC said:

@Me_

listen to the interview on this SNET link below. Might change your perspective on what was communicated by Linden, especially his emphasis/focus on younger players in an attempt to gain traction and acceptance from fans on his proposed rebuild.

he also discusses the lottery and not once says they are going to win it. In fact he states the opposite, that the odds favour movement amongst the top picking teams. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/team-president-trevor-linden-admits-canucks-rebuild/

That article.... Sounds a lot like how this looks...

ouch GIF

So much fail... 

Not Linden's best work.

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Pearson + Myers basically cap space there. But ya I agree the contract is the biggest obstacle and probably unlikely. I just can’t see him staying in Chicago or being happy about it 

Not really, both players would have to be replaced at, basically, the same cost.

30 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Huh?

You were attempting to point out Lindens change in messaging and to prove as much by posting the article. But what is glaringly obvious, and the only thing I gleaned, is a rookie President that was way over his head.  I think our focus was on Benning so much, I forgot how inept Linden was at his job.  Anyway, I digress, glad those days are long gone. 

Love Linden as a player and person but he was a horrible President.  But hey, Gretzky was a horrible coach so there's that!  Lol

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Nichushkin just got 49M after one good year, Gaudreau reportedly wants 10M+, Miller is gonna get paaaaaid.

And the vultures will circle.

it's ok the delusional fan will convince miller to sign for sub 8 at under 6 years. they might fly to where he's staying for the summer to convince him.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Hogs & Podz said:

You were attempting to point out Lindens change in messaging and to prove as much by posting the article. But what is glaringly obvious, and the only thing I gleaned, is a rookie President that was way over his head.  I think our focus was on Benning so much, I forgot how inept Linden was at his job.  Anyway, I digress, glad those days are long gone. 

Love Linden as a player and person but he was a horrible President.  But hey, Gretzky was a horrible coach so there's that!  Lol

Understood, thanks!

I think it’s fair to also say that there was more than just Linden to blame for all that mess too though. Aqua’s were meddling and were obviously playing different sides at the same time with regards to how this team was operating.

Linden does deserve some heat for sure, absolutely 100%. But in the fallout, it’s evident to me, imho anyway, that it was a dysfunction situation for everyone all around at the time.

anyway last post from me

on it. Thanks for the patience.

@Me_  your thoughts?

Linden parts with Canucks as team reaps rewards of his leadership

Iain MacIntyreJuly 26, 2018, 12:00 AM

VANCOUVER — The day that Trevor Linden became the Vancouver Canucks’ president of hockey operations, an old acquaintance approached him after his introductory press conference at Rogers Arena and chided: “You fool.”

And Linden instantly understood the admonishment, which was equal parts good-natured barb and truth.

Linden is — maybe was — hockey royalty on the West Coast, a beloved Canuck deity rivalled in franchise history only by former coach and general manager Pat Quinn.

The Canuck team he was inheriting from fired general manager Mike Gillis was motoring towards a cliff’s edge, accelerator pushed to the floor. The Canucks, after a decade-long run of superiority in the National Hockey League, had become dangerously old and stale and, as the draft had long been a black hole for the organization, there were almost no elite prospects in the development pipeline to replace the aging core. Only a handful of the existing players possessed trade value and nearly all of them had trade restrictions in their contracts.

And this was happening in a frenzied market accustomed to success, and with local owners who demand it.

Things were going to get a lot worse for the Canucks. Linden, like everyone, could see this.

Friedman on Canucks' owner's tweets and 'the hint' within them
July 25 2018

Four years and three months later, having navigated the Canucks’ nadir, overhauling the organization and building the deepest stockpile of prospects since the team entered the NHL in 1970, all while enduring the media blast furnace daily, Linden abruptly left the organization Wednesday to return to civilian life.

The Canucks’ press release announcing his departure — one month after the draft, seven weeks before training camp — was headlined: 

‘Vancouver Canucks and Trevor Linden amicably agree to part ways.’

We’re not sure about “amicably,” especially after managing partner Francesco Aquilini’s 12-part explanation on Twitter included this ninth chapter: “A rebuild is a long, slow, gradual process. Everybody needs to be united behind the same vision and pulling in the same direction.”

So, the Aquilini family didn’t share Linden’s vision? They clashed ideologically?

The owners want to win now; Linden has been preaching patience in the Canucks’ rebuild since he first uttered the R-word two seasons ago. Linden wasn’t worried about winning next season; the owners are.

But whatever the optics, the Aquilini family gave Linden time and latitude to rebuild the Canucks and revolutionize their scouting and player development departments, and are invested enough in the rebuild that Linden’s hand-picked general manager, Jim Benning, was signed to a three-year contract extension last winter.

Benning is now in charge of all hockey operations and will report directly to the Aquilinis. Hopefully, Benning understands how important and time consuming managing up will be.

Willie Desjardins praises Trevor Linden's passion for city and club
July 25 2018

Other than a brief statement released through the Canucks, Linden wasn’t talking Wednesday night and may not do interviews anytime soon. But his departure probably isn’t about one thing, but a lot of things. 

These have been a difficult four years. Linden’s friends could see the toll the job was taking on him. He didn’t seek the job to begin with and didn’t need the money.

Still, near as anyone can tell, Linden has never quit anything in his life. So, the intrigue over this monumental change atop the Canucks organization isn’t likely to abate.

The strangest part of his departure, whether it was his call or Aquilini’s, is that Linden leaves with the worst of the rebuild over. Yes, next season could be bleak again, standings-wise, as the Canucks experience life without Danieland Henrik Sedin, who were both the heart and conscience of the team right up until their retirement as effective, offensive players last spring.

But Brock Boeser and Bo Horvat are in the Canucks lineup already, and Elias Pettersson, Adam Gaudette and Thatcher Demko could play for them next season. Quinn Hughes may decide to turn pro rather than return to college, and other top prospects like Olli Juolevi, Jonathan Dahlen and Kole Lind will be a phone call away in the American Hockey League.

Things are soon going to be better for the Canucks. But Linden won’t be around to see it. At least he won’t be seeing it from management’s suite.

He’ll be home in Kitsilano, with his wife Cristina and their one-year-old son, Roman. And probably a lot happier than he has been the last couple of years, even with his Canucks crown dented by his time as president.

Edited by RWJC