The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Linden slander I would have never expected to see in a Miller thread, let alone any modern thread 

Fans have short memories IMHO. When Linden came on the org was in crisis. To say the cupboards were empty remains an understatement. Look at the rosters in those years. More than sad. 

The orgs and fans unwillingness to truly assess their player base and the long term needs always stuns me. The Canucks have always done a very poor job of converting aging players for draft picks and prospects. In my opinion that is what we are faced with in those who want to retain Miller at any cost. I realize in saying that, that I assume there is a deal in the making that returns a value in Miller. It appears the org has lengthened their horizon and are now focused towards true CUP contention in 3-4 years. It truly does not make a lot of difference if the Canucks don't make playoffs in 22-23. It is all about player development and deepening the prospect inventory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Fans have short memories IMHO. When Linden came on the org was in crisis. To say the cupboards were empty remains an understatement. Look at the rosters in those years. More than sad. 

The orgs and fans unwillingness to truly assess their player base and the long term needs always stuns me. The Canucks have always done a very poor job of converting aging players for draft picks and prospects. In my opinion that is what we are faced with in those who want to retain Miller at any cost. I realize in saying that, that I assume there is a deal in the making that returns a value in Miller. It appears the org has lengthened their horizon and are now focused towards true CUP contention in 3-4 years. It truly does not make a lot of difference if the Canucks don't make playoffs in 22-23. It is all about player development and deepening the prospect inventory.

I hope so, I've been saying we're probably at least 4 years out for a while, I never expected us to be contending within two years. That sort of turnaround ain't realistic.

And bang on with Linden.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Although most things you said here are not true.  One that is true is Linden did not accept a rebuild until year 3.  So in fact he did deny a rebuild.  I remember him claiming that it wouldn't be fair to the Sedins' if they did a full blown rebuild.  Not until the Sedins' were gonna retire was the retool in effect ,therefore he did waste a few years.

But that's the only thing that I agree with.

Giving up captaincy for the good of the organization is the epitome of being a leader.  Not a douche factor.

Not delivering a cup is also not a douche factor.

Linden was the epitome of a leader.  He wouldn't have been the NHLPA president if he wasn't.

The point was exactly that. That Linden refused to rebuild for three years.

That was the only point to be made.

However, I was personally pissed that Keenan came into the fold, that Messier came right after that, and that Linden gave his captaincy.

I don’t think Messier would’ve given up the Captaincy had the GM asked him so.

THAT. is leadership.

This culture also came around to Naslund when he said that the Captaincy doesn’t matter. Well, perhaps Naslund wasn’t the right player to captain the team then. He did “choke”.

This culture doesn’t add up to Cups.

Edited by Me_
  • Like 1

We've been through the sucky part of our development cycle. Now we begin an optimized part of our development cycle. I think we might have one of these players start the season with us as a fourth line checker. We're looking for a high motor and good speed.

14 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I'm just very surprised a team like Boston isn't going for Miller harder. They have a core that needs to go for it right now before it all ends.

Carlo is clearly the guy we would want and fits our needs. They have two Dman ahead of him (McAvoy and Lindholm) so Carlo is their #3 guy they would have to give up which seems reasonable based on the situation their team is in. Van can even retain a little of JT's cap to help Boston fit it all under and still sign Patrice. 

To Van: 

Carlo 

1st round pick

Lysell

To Boston: 

JT Miller (1-2 million retained) 

Then roll it out and go for another cup Boston. I won't be cheering for you, but still what other choice do you have? They keep saying they don't wanna blow it up and rebuild and wanna try again for a championship. Maybe the deal needs to be adjusted a bit, perhaps Lysell is worth too much to them (take him out then and toss another pick or something in), but common it really feels like the foundation is there. 

I like what the Pens are doing. They signed Letang and are gonna try for a few more years while Crosby is still got it. Who cares what happens for a few bad years at the end of that contract. They won cups already, go for another while you can then rebuild it all back up. 

You would typically only retain salary if that players cap hit is deemed to be overpriced. Since Miller is regarded as a huge bargain at $5.25 there's no logical reason we would retain salary I don't think. 

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

The point was exactly that. That Linden refused to rebuild for three years.

That was the only point to be made.

However, I was personally pissed that Keenan came into the fold, that Messier came right after that, and that Linden gave his captaincy.

I don’t think Messier would’ve given up the Captaincy had the GM asked him so.

THAT. is leadership.

This culture also came around to Naslund when he said that the Captaincy doesn’t matter. Well, perhaps Naslund was. It the right player to captain the team then.

This culture doesn’t add up to Cups.

You've been proven wrong by dozens of people multiple times on this, just let it go man. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Nobody should want any player at any cost.

And I drive the bus for the 'Keep Miller Camp'

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I'm just very surprised a team like Boston isn't going for Miller harder. They have a core that needs to go for it right now before it all ends.

Carlo is clearly the guy we would want and fits our needs. They have two Dman ahead of him (McAvoy and Lindholm) so Carlo is their #3 guy they would have to give up which seems reasonable based on the situation their team is in. Van can even retain a little of JT's cap to help Boston fit it all under and still sign Patrice. 

To Van: 

Carlo 

1st round pick

Lysell

To Boston: 

JT Miller (1-2 million retained) 

Then roll it out and go for another cup Boston. I won't be cheering for you, but still what other choice do you have? They keep saying they don't wanna blow it up and rebuild and wanna try again for a championship. Maybe the deal needs to be adjusted a bit, perhaps Lysell is worth too much to them (take him out then and toss another pick or something in), but common it really feels like the foundation is there. 

I like what the Pens are doing. They signed Letang and are gonna try for a few more years while Crosby is still got it. Who cares what happens for a few bad years at the end of that contract. They won cups already, go for another while you can then rebuild it all back up. 

Even without a C2, Boston's priority all of last season has been to find a top-4 LD to strengthen their D-corps (which they finally did with Lindholm).  Carlo is a core player and on a solid contract.  McAvoy is also out until December and Grelczyk till November - Carlo will be asked to hold the fort with Lindholm.  

Boston probably doesn't want to remove from their roster either and pay the cost to acquire Miller - they were reports that they were going to go after Trocheck in free agency before news emerged that Krejci could be returning.  

Edited by mll