The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Trade him at the tdl then. Not sure why it's terrible for the locker room if he comes in without an extension or doesn't get traded before the season starts. 

If this is a 100 pt team then keep him try to win a cpl rounds . 

We can't be like BUF in a decades long rebuild. 

If we had Bruce for the entire last season we likely would have ended up with 106 points.

We will have a better EP and Brock out of the gate and the entire core will be one year more developed.

Podz will be able to take a bigger role and we added Kuz.

We are a lot better than some people think. 

It's why I would keep JT  and try to fix some of our problems with other moves. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

55 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I'm just very surprised a team like Boston isn't going for Miller harder. They have a core that needs to go for it right now before it all ends.

Carlo is clearly the guy we would want and fits our needs. They have two Dman ahead of him (McAvoy and Lindholm) so Carlo is their #3 guy they would have to give up which seems reasonable based on the situation their team is in. Van can even retain a little of JT's cap to help Boston fit it all under and still sign Patrice. 

To Van: 

Carlo 

1st round pick

Lysell

To Boston: 

JT Miller (1-2 million retained) 

Then roll it out and go for another cup Boston. I won't be cheering for you, but still what other choice do you have? They keep saying they don't wanna blow it up and rebuild and wanna try again for a championship. Maybe the deal needs to be adjusted a bit, perhaps Lysell is worth too much to them (take him out then and toss another pick or something in), but common it really feels like the foundation is there. 

I like what the Pens are doing. They signed Letang and are gonna try for a few more years while Crosby is still got it. Who cares what happens for a few bad years at the end of that contract. They won cups already, go for another while you can then rebuild it all back up. 

BOS still negotiating to bring back Krejci. Guess we’ll see where they stand afterwards with respect to roster/cap space. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Is Minnesota any closer to winning the cup next year?

No. But they did make the playoffs.

We have to make the playoffs before we win the Cup.

I don’t know why this is a hard concept to get. Perhaps the Canucks fan base hasn’t seen the playoffs for so long they’ve collectively forgotten how it works…

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sun is shining.

Miller is still a Canuck.

Life is good.

We need to re-up with JT, make a few tweaks and off we go.

Cup in 3 years.

Boom. 

Make that 2 years, hah

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Sun is shining.

Miller is still a Canuck.

Life is good.

We need to re-up with JT, make a few tweaks and off we go.

Cup in 3 years.

Boom. 

Love it. 

That’s the way.

Were actually Not as bad as Green made us look.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No. But they did make the playoffs.

We have to make the playoffs before we win the Cup.

I don’t know why this is a hard concept to get. Perhaps the Canucks fan base hasn’t seen the playoffs for so long they’ve collectively forgotten how it works…

Minnesota’s been making the playoffs most years for quite some time now

There needs to be cap space and/or assets available to improve that team that’s capable of making the playoffs but no more. That’s the issue. 

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

If we had Bruce for the entire last season we likely would have ended up with 106 points.

We will have a better EP and Brock out of the gate and the entire core will be one year more developed.

Podz will be able to take a bigger role and we added Kuz.

We are a lot better than some people think. 

It's why I would keep JT  and try to fix some of our problems with other moves. 

That doesn’t fix the defense. It’s great to have all these forwards but our defense is not great. Mostly on the right side.

1 hour ago, BureBurrito said:

There are a few interesting RFA's not qualified that could help fill major holes on show-me deals or cheap contracts. Canucks offloading salary could help both restocking picks in 2023 AND still sign some good talent now available.

Miller has to either sign and Myers/OEL/Pearson/Dickinson/Garland traded or Miller has to go this week to scoop some young talent on the market

………………. or just make the playoffs with relatively the same team as other teams overpay for mediocre talent…………………

2 hours ago, J-23 said:

Maybe, but what would you give up. Chicago is full tank mode, they would likely want picks and prospects.

Also, do you want to take on that cap hit and term?

Well if they’d have to take Myers as one of the pieces so they have a right side dman to eat Jones minutes. He’s a downgrade but not a big commitment, and they still have a vet who can play his minutes. Good for locker room rather than just losing Jones and still fine for their tank.

But ya I’d give up some assets for Jones as long as it wasn’t crazy because his contract isn’t ideal.

money aside I think he’s be a perfect #2 for us and his age fits our window.

I don’t know if they want to keep Jones through a. Rebuild. If I was him I’d be devastated and want out asap. 9.5 million steep though and would alter our internal cap as EP and Hughes next contracts would have to be more than.

OEL-Jones

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone-Dermott

the contract side of it is the messy part already having OEL contract on our books though for sure. Probably keeps it from ever happening

3 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

For a monster deal that he signed? We wouldn’t have the cap space regardless. 

I’d love Jones to be in blue and green. But it’s not happening. 

Pearson + Myers basically cap space there. But ya I agree the contract is the biggest obstacle and probably unlikely. I just can’t see him staying in Chicago or being happy about it