The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

8 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yep I'm starting to think like a Canuck fan. Can't make any necessary moves yet again. Finally have a great asset in Miller but due to Covid no one is in a position to pay big bucks to the older player. We probably just end up playing out next year and losing him in UFA. Ah ... to be a Canuck. Forever screwed! lol

Players coming off their ELCs are also getting paid based on potential.  Several key young players have gone from their ELCs to 7-9M deals and skipping the bridge.  Hard to pay those young players while also paying the vets, knowing that the vets probably won't be worth their value throughout their deals.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Players coming off their ELCs are also getting paid based on potential.  Several key young players have gone from their ELCs to 7-9M deals and skipping the bridge.  Hard to pay those young players while also paying the vets, knowing that the vets probably won't be worth their value throughout their deals.

Imo, it's completely out of control and is very very bad for the league.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

The NHL is moving to a model similar to the NFL.  Players either getting massive deals or near league min, much less 'middle income' contracts.  Call it the 'Tampa Bay' model or w/e but its got some serious implications for the league. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

The NHL is moving to a model similar to the NFL.  Players either getting massive deals or near league min, much less 'middle income' contracts.  Call it the 'Tampa Bay' model or w/e but its got some serious implications for the league. 

Unfortunately, it's not a sport where a team can rely on one or two top players to be successful.  It'll never happen, but I wish they had a graduated salary structure that kept RFA salaries under control

27 minutes ago, stawns said:

Unfortunately, it's not a sport where a team can rely on one or two top players to be successful.  It'll never happen, but I wish they had a graduated salary structure that kept RFA salaries under controly

Yea graduated salary structure won't happen, guys like McDavid being capped and making the same money as a future 3rd liner isn't something the nhlpa would go for.

I would however like to see one more year added to the rookie deals. Alot of these guys are getting paid 8-9 million after one slightly above average year. You have to give them 8-9 million hoping they keep developing, but often they just end up as anchors and disappointments. 1 more year would really help determine what type of player they truly are. 

I could see another strike coming, as it seems unsustainable that every player is getting huge money immediately. Teams will be in a constant state of cap chaos. 

Edited by TmanVan

Just now, TmanVan said:

Yea graduated salary structure won't happen, guys like McDavid being capped and making the same money as a future 3rd liner isn't something the nhlpa would go for.

I would however like to see one more year added to the rookie deals. Alot of these guys are getting paid 8-9 million after one slightly above average year. You have to give them 8-9 million hoping they keep developing, but often they just end up as anchors and disappointments. 

I could see another strike coming, as it seems unsustainable that every player is getting huge money immediately. Teams will be in a constant state of cap chaos. 

Won't happen, no.  However, they need to do something, considering GM's won't do it themselves.  The irony is, you win with vets, not youth

46 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Tampa are still doing bridge deals - Sergachev, Cirelli, Cernak even Kucherov got a bridge before signing long term. 

Ekblad kind of kick started things where he got a deal on potential with 1 year left on his ELC - became one of the highest paid Ds.  It kind of snowballed from there.  

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Any way you look at it,  Calgary is a diminished team next season. 

I think this is highly likely. They lose 2 members of their top line and add 1. So now they have hubie and lindholm and maybe move toffoli up from the 2nd line. But toffoli has not been very good for a couple of years now. And then what happens to the second line when toffoli moves up?  And Barkov is waaay better than Lindholm so will Hubie be as good as his career year last year? 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

I think this is highly likely. They lose 2 members of their top line and add 1. So now they have hubie and lindholm and maybe move toffoli up from the 2nd line. But toffoli has not been very good for a couple of years now. And then what happens to the second line when toffoli moves up?  And Barkov is waaay better than Lindholm so will Hubie be as good as his career year last year? 

but they did significantly upgrade their already impressive d corp

Just now, stawns said:

they did. With no more big moves, Cowtown will be looking at a lot of low scoring games, which if Marky stays healthy they can maybe win as many as last year but they won't be blowing teams out like before. 

A lot will depend on Mangaipane - is he really a 30+ goal scorer or was that a freak career year? how does arbitration effect him? 

• Vintage 2

So what does the Cal/FLA trade do for Miller's value?

Miller and Huber both roughly same age, both UFA's next year.  Point production last year  could be viewed as in the same tier - id give the edge to Huber though.

Florida had to add a top tier D man, a first overall pick, a solid prospect to get a top line 24 year old winger in return.

Age plus contract status really diminished Huber's overall value.  Im afraid this is how Miller is going to be viewed.   Expecting to trade Miller for another teams top young RHD plus a top tier forward plus draft picks just became a pipe dream.

At the end of the day if we get a top 4RHD thats under 26 in return plus a high round pick I would be happy.

Edited by Darius
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Landeskog, Newhook, and a 1st?

I still think they should be pushing hard for Byram, but I think that ship has sailed.  As I've said, a package of Girard and Newhook and maybe a depth prspect for Miller at 50% retained

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stawns said:

They’re almost too rich, on that right side. Weeger, Andersson, and Tanev are all 20+ minute guys.

But if they’re going “all in” on “win now” mode, maybe they flip a RHD for a forward?

J.T. Miller?

Wonder if they’d ever consider moving Andersson? He just turned 25, plays 22+ minutes, scored 50 points last year, and is signed for 4 more years at a very reasonable $4.55M AAV.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, stawns said:

I still think they should be pushing hard for Byram, but I think that ship has sailed.  As I've said, a package of Girard and Newhook and maybe a depth prspect for Miller at 50% retained

We're not getting a franchise potential Norris caliber young defenceman who has 5 more years of team control for JT miller. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2