The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Everything I've seen/heard reported, says management has offered in the 5-6 year and $45-$50m range. Which would make sense... 5x$9 ($45m) or 6x$8 ($48m) +/-. 

I don't think management has any interest in going longer term, or higher cap hits (as they shouldn't IMO). Miller/his agent likely feel they can get something closer to 7x$9 ($63m) +/- on the open market.

The first paragraph is exactly where he should be with his comps.   Zibanejad signed his money deal a little earlier then Miller will, and is absolutely is the best comp.   New York, the state, as Jock tax.   They don't pay as much as Van, but they are in the same range as the CAli and Alberta teams - high taxes close to the highest range, far away from the mid range, and further away from the lowest range.   So adjusting for that to me at least, a little more for Miller per season, and the same term minus years already done by Zib.  

What you've said is based on signing him before this season though.   IF he goes out and has a par or better season then the one he just had, which is entirely possible, if Bruce loads a line up ... then all bets are off and he's on his way somewhere else.   If gets a PPG, which is pretty much a given,  he's getting 45-50 million like you've just said.   I'm not interested in 9 x 7 either.  Only way would be 100 points...

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

couldn't it be that we just need better talent? looking at the contending teams, they all have a pretty big age spread. Young defensemen usually aren't all that good at playing defence. 

No they are not.   Have to be awfully special.   The guys during our peak Sedin years compared to Edler ... he was the only one that cracked the lineup in a way that made a difference... Tanev was a spare part. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The first paragraph is exactly where he should be with his comps.   Zibanejad signed his money deal a little earlier then Miller will, and is absolutely is the best comp.   New York, the state, as Jock tax.   They don't pay as much as Van, but they are in the same range as the CAli and Alberta teams - high taxes close to the highest range, far away from the mid range, and further away from the lowest range.   So adjusting for that to me at least, a little more for Miller per season, and the same term minus years already done by Zib.  

What you've said is based on signing him before this season though.   IF he goes out and has a par or better season then the one he just had, which is entirely possible, if Bruce loads a line up ... then all bets are off and he's on his way somewhere else.   If gets a PPG, which is pretty much a given,  he's getting 45-50 million like you've just said.   I'm not interested in 9 x 7 either.  Only way would be 100 points...

To be fair, even accounting for the added year of age, that would be $8.5x7 instead of Zib's$8.5x8, or $59.5m. And again, as you pointed out, Miller's camp is probably asking for a hair over that given our slightly higher taxes etc (hence my $9x7 or $63m estimate). So no, not really where his comps should be. But we simply shouldn't be signing that deal.

100 points or not, we're simply not in position to be signing that deal. If our core was further along and/or Miller younger, sure. But neither of those is the case. That's simply not a deal that works for the club in years 4+.

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I’d prefer someone else other than Lundkvist. It’s decent, but the Rangers would be getting a 99 point player that’ll probably propel them to the Cup Final. We’re getting their low first, a third line guy in Chytil, a smaller RD in Lundkvist and a player that hasn’t produced in the NHL in Kravtsov? Who in that list would be considered a grade A prospect? 

Id agree someone other than Lundkvist only because we have an abundance of what we brings, but I'd consider him an A prospect. 

Chytil has a huge amount of potential, sadly he already broke out and showed that in the playoffs. I'd have been happy with him.

15 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Where does it say we were actually offered that?   
More than likely it was insider speculation.  
3 1st round picks and Chytil.  
we aren’t getting close to that and if it was offered, it would have been accepted. 

image.thumb.png.86fc683e005845f9872bf9005917a076.png

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Everything I've seen/heard reported, says management has offered in the 5-6 year and $45-$50m range.

That's the thing: I haven't heard it from management nor from credible sources.

JR did say they were close on the money; therefore I assume they are not going to insult JT with a $50m offer.

I haven't heard the "6 year" bit anywhere but here (or the media trolls quoted here)(I do not listen to any radio shows nor blogs etc).

If it isn't posted in CDC I don't see it!  (Except my sister still sends me all the Province's Canuck news clippings which I receive a month late.)

So, as I said before, if they're close on the money then its about $60m give or take $2m-$3m in my opinion.

And therefore, to get there with any kind of acceptable AAV, it has to be 7-8 years, in my opinion, and with my spit-ballin'.

Cheers Gent!

Edited by Goal:thecup
Meant to say 7-8 years.

21 hours ago, Spoosh said:

1003 pages on the matter. I have to say that I have not read everything. I just hope I didnt miss out on anything valuable. B)

You missed a gif in one of the 700's pages that got 67 beers!!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Strawbone said:

I just polished off a bag of Miss Vickie's Salt and Vinegar chips so this thread hitting 1000 pages is no longer the highlight of my day.

Now can we get a trade? Like, anyone? I need new reading material and something to get excited/mad about.

Training camp can't come soon enough! I miss hockey.

The postponed World Juniors is coming in next few days. - team Sweden is all Canucks prospects!!

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Id agree someone other than Lundkvist only because we have an abundance of what we brings, but I'd consider him an A prospect. 

Chytil has a huge amount of potential, sadly he already broke out and showed that in the playoffs. I'd have been happy with him.

If they had taken Lundqvist at the time, rest assured everyone would have been up in arms...

The expectations of what Miller would fetch took incredible heights... This is not to say they should take, whatever they were offered.

If the reports were true, and they gambled, it remains to be seen, if they lost. Atm it doesn't look too promising.

More and more likely he signs here again, or walks on a free....

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

No they are not.   Have to be awfully special.   The guys during our peak Sedin years compared to Edler ... he was the only one that cracked the lineup in a way that made a difference... Tanev was a spare part. 

they do, they are hard to get. Hell even Makar dropped to Colorado by accident when they lost the lotto. 

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

If they had taken Lundqvist at the time, rest assured everyone would have been up in arms...

The expectations of what Miller would fetch took incredible heights... This is not to say they should take, whatever they were offered.

If the reports were true, and they gambled, it remains to be seen, if they lost. Atm it doesn't look too promising.

More and more likely he signs here again, or walks on a free....

Its starting to look more and more like signing Miller is the best outcome IMHO.  I was in the trade him camp before, but its looking like top tier players who are pushing 30 and are in last year of contract  dont have as much value as we think.  Its doubtful that any team will cough up their young top pair RHD , plus multiple high grade assets for Miller in this current NHL climate.

Im really concerned about our D, but maybe having 3 lines that can score, including Miller, plus a good checking 4th line can keep the puck out of our end is a partial solution.

• Cheers 3
  • Sad 1

Working on resigning Miller has always been option number one in my opinion.

With the caveat that if an offer is made that the management team cannot turn down a trade is appropriate. Further,  this trade must include a top level right handed defenceman.

If that doesn’t materialize getting Miller under contract would be a huge win for the organization.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We need young RD.

There are not a lot of teams that have the depth at RD for us to trade with.

NJ

NYR

Maybe Los Angeles and Philadelphia 

and of those, who needs Miller bad enough to move a top RHD prospect? 

33 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

That's the thing: I haven't heard it from management nor from credible sources.

JR did say they were close on the money; therefore I assume they are not going to insult JT with a $50m offer.

I haven't heard the "6 year" bit anywhere but here (or the media trolls quoted here)(I do not listen to any radio shows nor blogs etc).

If it isn't posted in CDC I don't see it!  (Except my sister still sends me all the Province's Canuck news clippings which I receive a month late.)

So, as I said before, if they're close on the money then its about $60m give or take $2m-$3m in my opinion.

And therefore, to get there with any kind of acceptable AAV, it has to be 7-8 years, in my opinion, and with my spit-ballin'.

Cheers Gent!

We're not going to hear much of anything from "credible sources" until the deal is done. That's simply not how this works. All we'll get is breadcrumbs from the usual speculative media and whatever tidbits management/agents leak to them. And those bread crumbs have all said 5-6 years and under/around $50m.

What context was the "close on money" quote in? Was he possibly referring to AAV? Because that's what it reads like to me if they're offering in the $8-$9 range as reported. That doesn't however mean they're close in term or total dollars.

Rutherford's comments have also repeatedly seemed to indicate they're looking at 6 years, max term. That's direct from his mouth.

16 minutes ago, Darius said:

Its starting to look more and more like signing Miller is the best outcome IMHO.  I was in the trade him camp before, but its looking like top tier players who are pushing 30 and are in last year of contract  dont have as much value as we think.  Its doubtful that any team will cough up their young top pair RHD , plus multiple high grade assets for Miller in this current NHL climate.

Im really concerned about our D, but maybe having 3 lines that can score, including Miller, plus a good checking 4th line can keep the puck out of our end is a partial solution.

Agree 100%... I'm also edging towards that conclusion... we need a better D, but not at any cost. 
who knows, if they look good at next tdl, they may be able to swing a deal to get an  improvement on the D, without costing us Miller. 

With Miller still here, I'm sure we have a playoffs team, even with D the way it is. 

Lets roll....

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're not going to hear much of anything from "credible sources" until the deal is done. That's simply not how this works. All we'll get is breadcrumbs from the usual speculative media and whatever tidbits management/agents leak to them. And those bread crumbs have all said 5-6 years and under/around $50m.

What context was the "close on money" quote in? Was he possibly referring to AAV? Because that's what it reads like to me if they're offering in the $8-$9 range as reported. That doesn't however mean they're close in term or total dollars.

Rutherford's comments have also repeatedly seemed to indicate they're looking at 6 years, max term. That's direct from his mouth.

I don't think we need to pick this to death.  (seemed to indicate does not equal direct from his mouth, for example)

Suffice it to say I don't know what it is, lol.