The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

6 minutes ago, awalk said:

Oh yeah I mean all the talk from the media and other message boards... my experience is when talk goes on for this long about two specific teams, either it's super close to getting done and the deal is sealed within a few days, or a big swerve often comes in at the last minute. 

That said, sometimes it takes a while like Jim's obsession with OEL... 

So I am basically trying to figure out, who else might be in the mix that has some amazing prospects similar to NYR, that we might wanna dance with. NYR seems tops, Carolina is solid too. Don't know much about Florida's pipeline.

I'm a little concerned that there's not more conversation about Miller with about 5 weeks to go before the deadline. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's a good question, I'm not super familiar with the prospect pools of other teams. But you'd have to think that anyone who considers themselves a contender out east would be interested. If we retain, and I think that's a legit possibility, that only broadens the pool of teams who could bid and drives up the price. 

Lot of Miller trade smoke, I'll be very surprised if there's not fire. And the Rangers make a lot of sense, but if they're not willing to pay up we could easily deal with one of their rivals. If they don't wanna pay, &^@# em. We'll deal with a team that hopefully knocks them out. 

I'd laugh if the Rangers get knocked out by a rival team that was able to secure Miller's services from the Canucks. 

That would be the ultimate middle finger from JR and his staff to Drury and his.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's a good question, I'm not super familiar with the prospect pools of other teams. But you'd have to think that anyone who considers themselves a contender out east would be interested. If we retain, and I think that's a legit possibility, that only broadens the pool of teams who could bid and drives up the price. 

Lot of Miller trade smoke, I'll be very surprised if there's not fire. And the Rangers make a lot of sense, but if they're not willing to pay up we could easily deal with one of their rivals. If they don't wanna pay, &^@# em. We'll deal with a team that hopefully knocks them out. 

Yeah I am sooooo out of touch with other teams prospect pools these days. I've been mostly investigating the Rangers because of all the rumors, but I'm going to nerd out on some other top east coast teams this week I think...

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I'd laugh if the Rangers get knocked out by a rival team that was able to secure Miller's services from the Canucks. 

That would be the ultimate middle finger from JR and his staff to Drury and his.

If that happens, Dolan may fire Druary over it. He fired the previous regime for less.

Edited by 24K PureCool

19 minutes ago, awalk said:

All the talk is around NYR, but Friedman is reporting that Washington is looking for forwards and Van/Seattle are being looked at. I'm not very familiar with Washington's prospect pool... is there anyone there worth packaging for Miller? 

Again all this talk about NYR, makes me think if he is traded, Miller is going somewhere else.

McMichael, Iorio, Leason, 1st would be a nice package.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

If we bring in Lundkvist I question where Rathbone fits period. 

To be honest, as big of fan of Rathbone as I am, I question where he fits regardless of Lundkvist.

He's not going to get the offensive usage he needs to be successful, playing behind Hughes and OEL on the left side here. Like ever.

And that third pair could already probably use a 'McNabb' type to free up OEL regardless. And that's not Rathbone. At all.

Perhaps he could switch sides and play right side. But if we get Lundqvist, that his (natural) spot (probably opposite OEL).

Really though... He's looking more and more like a trade chip to shore up deficiencies elsewhere. 

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Right? If that happens it'll be pretty satisfying.

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

Yeah I am sooooo out of touch with other teams prospect pools these days. I've been mostly investigating the Rangers because of all the rumors, but I'm going to nerd out on some other top east coast teams this week I think...

It's a lot to keep track of, you usually hear the better names bounce around CDC, but there are just soooo many players.

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

JR says there is no urgency to do any deals at all.

What else is he gonna say? "Oh yeah, Miller's value is higher right now than it'll ever be, we've had conversations with several teams but haven't gotten a deal we like enough to pull the trigger"? 

There is no urgency, but there are plenty of reasons to do so. Plus, it's a bit early, contenders probably aren't going to be making their best offers yet anyway. The Calgary bit maybe being an exception because of their willingness to overpay a bit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be honest, as big of fan of Rathbone as I am, I question where he fits regardless of Lundkvist.

He's not going to get the offensive usage he needs to be successful, playing behind Hughes and OEL on the left side here. Like ever.

And that third pair could already probably use a 'McNabb' type to free up OEL regardless. And that's not Rathbone. At all.

Perhaps he could switch sides and play right side. But if we get Lundqvist, that his (natural) spot (probably opposite OEL).

Really though... He's looking more and more like a trade chip to shore up deficiencies elsewhere. 

That's kinda where I'm at too. I don't see him bumping OEL or Hughes, I just don't. He's a great prospect, and maybe having three puck movers would be neat, but do we want to give him prime minutes when we could be bringing in someone who allows OEL to get them? I'm a firm believer that we need to get younger on D, I've been quite vocal about it, but I'm not sure Rathbone are our 3LD is going to work? Not unless he seriously shores up his defensive game. 

If we cant bolster our right side maybe, but we've still got Myers for another two seasons and Hamonic for one. Poolman ain't going anywhere imo. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

What else is he gonna say? "Oh yeah, Miller's value is higher right now than it'll ever be, we've had conversations with several teams but haven't gotten a deal we like enough to pull the trigger"? 

There is no urgency, but there are plenty of reasons to do so. Plus, it's a bit early, contenders probably aren't going to be making their best offers yet anyway. The Calgary bit maybe being an exception because of their willingness to overpay a bit. 

Jim Rutherford the President of the Vancouver Canucks says he's is not trading Miller and you say don't listen cuz you know better.

Lol!!! LOL!!!

LOL!!

LOL!!!!

17 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Jim Rutherford the President of the Vancouver Canucks says he's is not trading Miller and you say don't listen cuz you know better.

Lol!!! LOL!!!

LOL!!

LOL!!!!

If you've got an actual quote saying he's not trading Miller, as opposed to various ways of him saying they don't have to trade him or a top player, provide a source. Find me a legitimate source saying we're not trading Miller, from the top brass as opposed to media speculation, and just maybe I'll believe you. Get me a quote, where our management is on the record saying we're not trading Miller, or you're wasting my time.

But to my knowledge that hasn't been said or someone would have been using it in in this ongoing argument already. 

Not having the urgency to make a deal isn't remotely the same as committing to keeping someone.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Lol!!! LOL!!!

LOL!!

LOL!!!!

I must have missed this quote. Can you link it?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Here's an example of a GM or President quashing a rumour, we've seen nothing of the sort regarding Miller unless it somehow escaped CDC, Reddit, twitter, and HFboards. If something like that had been said our media would be having a field day with it, going on about how we should trade him or droning on about who we should trade instead to sell papers and get clicks.

Rutherford's touched on Miller and other aspects of this ongoing conversation CDC's been having regarding the trading of various players, but I've yet to see a firm statement where he's said a Miller trade isn't happening. 

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2262991/golden-knights-gm-quashes-report-about-interest-in-fleury

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1