The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

Do you honestly expect him to say anything except exactly that?  If he did his life would be hell until he got out of here.  I put zero weight on comments like that.  

I've heard this weak argument so much.  He doesn't have to say ANYTHING.  That says WAY more than saying anything at all.

31 minutes ago, stawns said:

where did you hear this?

I read somewhere.  But...other than the horrible Laugh's offering, I haven't seen any trade rumours for JT in the past 2-3 weeks.  Maybe it will pick up again when we get closer to TDL.  We'll see, I guess.

7 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

JT will fetch more than what Toffoli just did - a first round pick, a 5th round pick, a top-7 prospect of the Flames, a 4th liner. I'm not as greedy as some here so if we get a first-round pick and a highly touted young RHD, I'd personally be happy.

He should easily fetch more, but we'll see?

Personally I'd want more, 3-4 high quality pieces

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Yet why take the complete opposite approach and think otherwise? There could be merit in what he says. Have a little faith pal

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I've heard this weak argument so much.  He doesn't have to say ANYTHING.  That says WAY more than saying anything at all.

Everyone knows our toxic media and how they manipulate players comments,  anything EXCEPT what Miller has said will be twisted into controversy - JT's a seasoned vet, he knows exactly what to say/not to say.

7 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Miller has the final say 

Of course, but respectfully what's your point? You expect him to discuss his contract/status in public so that yourself and us fans can be reassured?

It's business. He's only 50% in charge of his future right now. Mgmt controls the other 50%.

Edited by RWJC
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Everyone knows our toxic media and how they manipulate players comments,  anything EXCEPT what Miller has said will be twisted into controversy - JT's a seasoned vet, he knows exactly what to say/not to say.

FFS, he said he loves it here and you and others have twisted it to mean he wants to leave lmfao!

21 minutes ago, RWJC said:

key words: " as we get closer to the deadline".

new names come up everyday as potentially available.

why would any playoff/contending team make a significant trade right NOW when there are still weeks to decide on what the best fit is and for what price.

its just due diligence. has nothing to do with media speculation, imho.

not saying anyone is, but best to not lose sight of the fact that the media only confirms the trades after they happen, and usually its a pillow fight to claim they were first to post it.  its bunk. of allllllll the media speculation over the past few years, how often have they been right with their hot garbage? maybe 5-10% of the time? i think even that is being highly generous.

Agree.  Allvin is thorough.  He's running trade scenario's past other GM's in an effort to gage market value.  When he has gone through his list of players, he's going to decide what to do.   

It has also been said that this management group wants the team to be involved in meaningful games.  They don't want to make deals that diminish the group while they're still in the playoff race.  So expect them to make moves in the last week if they make them at all.  Maybe, some of the deals they are looking at are better done in the offseason.

Don't expect a thorough GM to do things in a hurry.  I think we've all had it up to here with half baked deals.

Rutherford has also said that roster decisions will be Allvins call.  As it should be.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

FFS, he said he loves it here and you and others have twisted it to mean he wants to leave lmfao!

Quote me the exact words where I said he wanted to leave?  Oh that's right you can't because you're inferring something I never said.

For the record I believe it's likely he doesn't know exactly where he might want to be in 1.5 years - way too much in the NHL landscape can change in that time, but in the meantime he's going to avoid a total s#@t-storm and tell media what he did.  

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Do you honestly expect him to say anything except exactly that?  If he did his life would be hell until he got out of here.  I put zero weight on comments like that.  

Sure Miller and his family love Vancouver so much he didn't buy a house here.  He's gone as soon as he can.  And to where he and his wife want to be, which is likely a US city.  

21 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I’ve already answered this question.

1) City/family life - has little kids and the Vancouver area is safer than most US NHL cities. It also offers more in terms of beauty, oceans, mountains, etc. He also might prefer fans that love their team and sell out the arena on a consistent basis.

2) Bruce Boudreau and new management - the record speaks for itself and the experience of everyone gives confidence that things are being done properly. I, for example, refuse to work for certain bosses, regardless of elevated pay as I value a good boss more than money.

3) his team mates - I’ve seen countless videos of him enjoying the company of his team. He looks like he gets along well with many of them. He even got along with Jake and tried to help him. That itself is a big deal. He really cares about this team.

In addition to all of the above he and management have stated over and over again that they are not interested in parting ways. Their language has been strong and there is no uncertainty in what they have said.

Obviously this can change but I believe we have a good shot of both sides really trying to make this work. 

Money is not the be all and end all. There is more to life than money and any marginal difference from another team may not be worth it in Miller’s mind.

Money is the be all and end all when you have a very short window to make as much as you possibly can.  This is Millers big contract and his last shot at a contract like this.  People are delusional if they think he's not going after every last penny, and I don't that's going to be in Vancouver

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Quote me the exact words where I said he wanted to leave?  Oh that's right you can't because you're inferring something I never said.

For the record I believe it's likely he doesn't know exactly where he might want to be in 1.5 years - way too much in the NHL landscape can change in that time, but in the meantime he's going to avoid a total s#@t-storm and tell media what he did.  

So if you don't think he wants to leave, can we assume you think he wants to stay?  It really is one or the other.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Which is why other teams are losing interest in a trade to get him.  The return in a trade for him is so high, along with the prospect of trying to re-sign him is staggering for any of the contending teams.  Some might do the $, but the term is

ridiculous.

I don't see him getting traded anytime soon.

Other teams are losing interest? Based on? This is all part of the trade negotiation dance.

They get him for two runs. For a team looking to win now, that's plenty.

If they can make other moves to potentially retain him, it's a bonus. The Rangers for instance, could let Strome go and look at moving Kreider in another year if they prefer Miller.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Teams like the Rangers are still young, so their window several years.  

How "young" are Zib, Kreider, Strome, Panarin, Reaves, Trouba etc actually?

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Anybody with a brain realizes that different players are different people.  

We won't know until he's signed.  Everything else is pure speculation.  

You can TRY to guess based on comparables, but Miller could end up signing for $8m, or even $7.9m.  

Stating your GUESS as FACT is the issue.

I'm pointing out clear, factual comparables of real players. The same ones his agent will be using. Not fingers crossed hopeful amounts that I day dream he might sign for.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sure Miller and his family love Vancouver so much he didn't buy a house here.  He's gone as soon as he can.  And to where he and his wife want to be, which is likely a US city.  

I moved from the lower mainland to the island and knew we were gonna stay forever, but it still took me several years before we bought a place (not about money either cuz homes were dirt cheap back then).  We eventually bought a place once we knew our employment was long term.  Just saying... 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Other teams are losing interest? Based on? This is all part of the trade negotiation dance.

They get him for two runs. For a team looking to win now, that's plenty.

If they can make other moves to potentially retain him, it's a bonus. The Rangers for instance, could let Strome go and look at moving Kreider in another year if they prefer Miller.

How "young" are Zib, Kreider, Strome, Panarin, Reaves, Trouba etc actually?

I'm pointing out clear, factual comparables of real players. The same ones his agent will be using. Not fingers crossed hopeful amounts that I day dream he might sign for.

I literally gave you an example in Quinn Hughes where the result was not what a bunch of you were thinking.  Miller is not Zibanejad.  Wait and see.  To state Miller WILL SIGN FOR $8.5M TO $9M is pure speculation on your part.  Comparables don't always equate to what a player WILL sign for.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So if you don't think he wants to leave, can we assume you think he wants to stay?  It really is one or the other.

In all fairness, no, its not.

It's dependent on so many factors at this moment and is likely a very fluid situation.

That is what happens when new management comes in with a stated intention of retooling this team.

Edited by RWJC
  • Like 1