The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

I am - just not for an NHL club.

One lesson I learned from my mentor is that whenever possible, leave yourself more options, not less. 

Telling players they will not be moved isn't 'driving my own version of a narrative', it's simply not good management practice to be making guarantees for things that may not actually happen. 

... you realize that it is entirely in management's control, right? if they made a guarantee (I'm not saying they have), then it remains a guarantee regardless of what's being offered. they wouldn't make a guarantee unless they've decided that miller is part of the core going forward. 

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Schneider would be a great piece don't get me wrong, but there are any number of packages that I'd take from NYR if he was deemed 'untouchable' so I'm perfectly ok with agreeing to disagree.  I think there is WAY too much read into the 'social media rumors' on this board, but I get it, that's partly why this board even exists - so to think that Schneider is a 'non-starter' is too limiting to me.  In my view, as a management team, you never paint yourself into a corner and remove options - and that is exactly what 'guaranteeing' a player he won't move would do. 

Anything that doesn't include either Schneider or Laff would be an absolute non starter for me. 

In regards to whether or not guaranteeing to a player that he won't be moved is a good idea or not, I really can't say. Being given that peace of mind by management may go a long ways towards getting him resigned if that is indeed the plan. Point is I'm pretty sure he realizes that he's not being moved right now 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yeah let’s do the Vancouver management way and leave everyone waking on eggshells because they arrive 30 seconds late at work. What cubiclery thinking rhat is.

LOL, this management group hasn't even been here long enough to establish 'a way'.   

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

... you realize that it is entirely in management's control, right? if they made a guarantee (I'm not saying they have), then it remains a guarantee regardless of what's being offered. they wouldn't make a guarantee unless they've decided that miller is part of the core going forward. 

Do you agree that as a management team, having more options open to you is generally better than having less? 

Yes, JR/Allvin have issued snippets here/there supporting Miller, but there is a reason why JR/Allvin have not publicly stated unequivocally that Miller will not be moved. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

there is a reason why JR/Allvin have not publicly stated unequivocally that Miller will not be moved. 

Bingo.  

I have no idea if Miller will be moved or not, but feel it's unlikely they gave Miller a guarantee one way or the other.

It's a business, I suspect that if asked, Miller would say yes, he understands that.    

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Anything that doesn't include either Schneider or Laff would be an absolute non starter for me. 

In regards to whether or not guaranteeing to a player that he won't be moved is a good idea or not, I really can't say. Being given that peace of mind by management may go a long ways towards getting him resigned if that is indeed the plan. Point is I'm pretty sure he realizes that he's not being moved right now 

Hypothetically, what if it was a “lesser” prospect like Kakko or K. Miller and the next 5 first round picks? Does that move the needle for anyone?

Not saying I would agree to that, and it’s far fetched anyway, but the Rags will have to make some significant changes in 2-3 years time due to cap and ELC’s.

Edited by RWJC

20 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Do you agree that as a management team, having more options open to you is generally better than having less? 

Yes, JR/Allvin have issued snippets here/there supporting Miller, but there is a reason why JR/Allvin have not publicly stated unequivocally that Miller will not be moved. 

sure, in theory, more options can be better. in reality, choosing a solid plan for moving forward is best. if they've decided that miller is someone they want to commit to, and they're comfortable they can get something done, then making a guarantee is fine. there's no need for public announcement one way or the other. 

that said, I doubt miller has been given any guarantees, but it's not like management would keep things secret from him and his agent if there were irons in the fire. if he doesn't get the impression that it's likely he'll be traded, I trust his judgement. 

23 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

C'mon dude...

I’m not saying that’s only for Miller. That could be the return for Miller+
Again, it’s hypothetical. There are pretty varied opinions on this board of just how much Miller means to this team and what kind of potential setback we’d face in trading him.

im just curious what/if there is a common denominator.

as for the Rags, what better way to maximize Miller’s value against any assets traded for him than to defer that “loss”. Look at their prospect pool. Does it actually destroy their base when you see how much young talent they currently have and what’s in the pipeline? Hard to say.

further to that, the next two 1st rounders from the Rags could/should be late round picks, especially with an addition of Miller (and potentially a Motte or Schenn).

also, use your imagination a bit. It’s not like they can’t recoup other 1sts by trade elsewhere, especially/potentially from a guy like Strome. Or, by giving it this year and  into next season to determine if any of their young players/prospects should be moved to recoup said 1sts. 

I’d consider this if I was the Rags.

Maybe not five 1sts and a solid prospect, but something near that.

Just keeping an open mind on this, from the conservative to the grandiose. 5 first rounders is unheard of in this day and age, sure,  but where is the line that gives the Rags the cost/benefit of trading for Miller. 

It’s easy to argue what Miller means to us. I try to also look at it from the Rags POV in how do you acquire a top 10 league scorer, on an awesome contract for this and next season, without impairing your chances for the very thing you’re chasing and WHY you’re trading for Miller (+).

Edited by RWJC

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think Lundqvist might be even better in the long run. I would definitely consider that heavily if the other multiple pieces were high quality as well. I like the idea of having a good offensive guy on both the right and left who can skate and play with high end offensive forwards. Then surround them with complimentary Schenn and Hamonic types. It almost guarantees you're taking the play to the opposition on most shifts if it works out.

You can't move him now though unless we lose 5 of 7 or something, or get Laff+Schnieder+ lol.

Here is an interesting article on him even though its older.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/09/16/ranking-top-10-prospects-ny-rangers-no-1-nils-lundkvist/8347748002/

Another one but newer.

https://nhlrumors.com/2021-22-top-10-new-york-rangers-prospects/2022/01/24/

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Might be if New York has already moved on to other targets.

There's plenty of other dance partners if the Rags aren't interested - that's by no means a done deal if they're after other guys.  Not saying he'll get traded or not, but just because one team rumored to be in on him has a change of heart doesn't mean every team out there is no longer interested.  As was mentioned by fanuck, there's a reason why Allvin hasn't publicly stated that under no circumstances are they dealing Miller - they're leaving every option open.  

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

See, I don't get that. Not that K'andre Miller's likely available either but if they're willing to offer up him or the likely as good (or better) as Schneider (if differing skill sets)... we'd be silly not to take that.

Something like Chytil, Lundkvist, Othmann and their 1st. DONE.

2 hours ago, PlanB said:

There's plenty of other dance partners if the Rags aren't interested - that's by no means a done deal if they're after other guys.  Not saying he'll get traded or not, but just because one team rumored to be in on him has a change of heart doesn't mean every team out there is no longer interested.  As was mentioned by fanuck, there's a reason why Allvin hasn't publicly stated that under no circumstances are they dealing Miller - they're leaving every option open.  

I think Colorado will step up

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

See, I don't get that. Not that K'andre Miller's likely available either but if they're willing to offer up him or the likely as good (or better) as Schneider (if differing skill sets)... we'd be silly not to take that.

Something like Chytil, Lundkvist, Othmann and their 1st. DONE.

That’s a good package.  But I think Canucks would need to include Motte or Schenn.

Really depends if Canucks go on a winning streak or not before TDL.

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

I think Colorado will step up

Quite possible.  

Colorado window is slowly closing.  MacKinnon contract ends next year.  So that’s 2 shots at the cup (this year and next year) before they get into cap trouble.