The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Now this is pretty unlikely but what if we were able to convince a slightly younger player in Forsberg on a long term deal (Similar to Miller but with more prime years left) or a short term vet like Giroux/Bergeron to sign with us, and trade Miller for some younger pieces.  Could potentially end up with something like Kakko, Schneider, and Forsberg instead of just Miller?

Super unlikely to happen I would think….

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

He won't get 8 years.  I can almost guarantee that.  It would be an absolute shocker as it would be 1 of only a handful handed out to 30yo+ players in the past 10 to 15 years.  None of them in the ballpark of dollars that Miller is looking at.

I stumbled across Ryan Getzlafs contract,.  Yes the one that ending.

8 years ago he signed a 66 million contract

8.25 per.

Millers point totals and play over the past 6 years far exceed Getzlafs..  

even if Millers trajectory was to decline the same way it has inclined to this point,.
Far better value than Getzlaff.

so,  8.25m 6 years ago has to be at least a 9m figure now. 

26 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Now this is pretty unlikely but what if we were able to convince a slightly younger player in Forsberg on a long term deal (Similar to Miller but with more prime years left) or a short term vet like Giroux/Bergeron to sign with us, and trade Miller for some younger pieces.  Could potentially end up with something like Kakko, Schneider, and Forsberg instead of just Miller?

Super unlikely to happen I would think….

I have a hard time seeing NYR giving up on players like Kakko at this point in time. They're playing well and have all the time in the world for them to develop. Like, if I'm NYR, I'd rather keep Kakko and Schneider than trade for a player who I know will cost more money sooner than later.

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I have a hard time seeing NYR giving up on players like Kakko at this point in time. They're playing well and have all the time in the world for them to develop. Like, if I'm NYR, I'd rather keep Kakko and Schneider than trade for a player who I know will cost more money sooner than later.

Schneider would be a non-starter for the Rags.  But the would definitely part with Kakko or Chytil.  I could see Chytil, Kravtsov and their first as a deal for Miller.  But we are signing Miller to a big 64 mil deal this summer, so it's moooooo anyway.  Mooooo!  Like Joey says.  Moooo.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schneider would be a non-starter for the Rags.  But the would definitely part with Kakko or Chytil.  I could see Chytil, Kravtsov and their first as a deal for Miller.  But we are signing Miller to a big 64 mil deal this summer, so it's moooooo anyway.  Mooooo!  Like Joey says.  Moooo.

that would be a horrible return for Miller. Thats the magic beans scenario, and not even top shelf beans. 

51 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

8.25 per.

even if Millers trajectory was to decline the same way it has inclined to this point,.

interesting comp. Getzlaff is/was more of a physical presence than Miller, but our mgmt could be looking at Miller as a similar type of leader. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not so sure.   That's a lot of money and he'd be one of the highest paid forwards in the league ... don't forget he's already made money for a decade ... 

AAV doesn't matter to him it's about the total dollars. And that total is under $50m. I'd be REALLY (pleasantly) surprised if he signed something like that.

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

interesting comp. Getzlaff is/was more of a physical presence than Miller, but our mgmt could be looking at Miller as a similar type of leader. 

I think Anaheim paid more for his leadership,. 
and I do beleive his style reflects on how that team surfaces.

money isn’t always in the point totals..

presence, and mentorship on the ice is what management tries to reflect from their needs as well..   only a few players offer that.

I hope JT and new management have some great meetings over the Summer to get to know each other well..    not all about contract..  about everyone’s desires in the hockey sense as well.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, aGENT said:

AAV doesn't matter to him it's about the total dollars. And that total is under $50m. I'd be REALLY (pleasantly) surprised if he signed something like that.

For sure.  And if he took a 5 year deal that had only 1 in salary per year, the rest in bonus money it's basically buyout proof as far as guaranteed money goes. A 7-8 year deal where he'd almost certainly get bought out like Suter and Parise ...  he'd risk leaving money on the table.   Add the future value of money, he's actually doing very decently on a 5-6 year deal compared to a 7-8 year one with significant money left on the table.   I know it's about total dollars IN his pocket.   And taxes matter for us too. 

Edit:  This is comparing a deal at 9.5 x 5 to  55 to even 60 million dollar 7-8 year deal.    Which i highly doubt he's getting anyways.    Believe in this case he's guaranteed 42.5 gross at 9.5.    If he sucks the hind tit and is bought out with 2-3 years left (likely)...well...then.   No money for you.   ROI on the extra money of course gets factored in.   Plus he could still play and earn on one year deals if he wants too. 

Edit:  So i'm going around in circles a little lol.   For me it makes the most sense for the team and the player to do a 5 year deal.   6 tops but it has to work for the team in that case more then the player.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

8.25 per.

Getzlaf signed that deal on Mar 8 2013, which made him 27.  He would have played his first game on the new contract in October 2013, which means he was 28 years 5 months old.

Miller will be 30 years 7 months old when he plays his first game under a new contract.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Getzlaf signed that deal on Mar 8 2013, which made him 27.  He would have played his first game on the new contract in October 2013, which means he was 28 years 5 months old.

Miller will be 30 years 7 months old when he plays his first game under a new contract.

30 years and 7 months? no deal unless its under 6 months. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not to mention he was a big part of a cup winning team as a rookie.    Definitely not apples and apples.  One of the better centers of his generation (him and Eric Staal) ... debatable if he's HHOFer but it will be close. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Not rudely, but What ever ,.  We will have a better all around player for close to the 2013 standard of money ..  which is even better.

regardless of the fear mongering age issue that posters have.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not to mention he was a big part of a cup winning team as a rookie.    Definitely not apples and apples.  One of the better centers of his generation (him and Eric Staal) ... debatable if he's HHOFer but it will be close. 

Ahhh yes,  rookie love….  It big here in Vancouver ,  almost forgot about that..

Of course if Miller had started his career here, These arbitrary conversations would not exist.

;) 

If we could only learn to love Miller like most do Horvat or Boeser :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Ahhh yes,  rookie love….  It big here in Vancouver ,  almost forgot about that..

Of course if Miller had started his career here, These arbitrary conversations would not exist.

;) 

If we could only learn to love Miller like most do Horvat or Boeser :) 

Some of us still care about the long term vision of our team, or I guess we become the Vancouver Miller's. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

Our owner want Miller.  JR/Allvin will make the cap hit as manageable as the can.  That means and 8 year term.  

Does not mean 8 year term when JR has a history of not giving out 8 year terms. Often times it's been for 5 or 6 years.

Just now, The Lock said:

Does not mean 8 year term when JR has a history of not giving out 8 year terms. Often times it's been for 5 or 6 years.

Miller will get 60+ million.  The lower the cap, the more money (each year) left for other guys.  JR gave Tanev 6 years.  He will go 8 for Miller, especially since the owner wants the player to stay.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller will get 60+ million.  The lower the cap, the more money (each year) left for other guys.  JR gave Tanev 6 years.  He will go 8 for Miller, especially since the owner wants the player to stay.  

You literally just said he gave Tanev 6 years. Unless if you think 6 = 8 for some weird reason, that's not an indication he'll give Miller 8 years. Also, Tanev's only a 3.5mil cap so he's not even a good comparison so I don't really understand why you even brought him up?

Also, the only 3 players in the NHL to have an 8 year contract and having signed at the age of 30+ is Oshie, Vlasic and Burns... and the contracts  are for 46mil, 56mil and 64mil respectively. All of the evidence points against Miller getting 60+mil and 8 years as he'd be the only forward in the league to have such a contract. Here's a link to help you compare: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/contracts/

(Edited for correctness)

Edited by The Lock

I don't see Aqua supposedly wanting Miller to stay being the argument people think it is, not when it's widely speculated that Rutherford left Pittsburgh because ownership was encroaching on his autonomy. Rutherford's in the hall of fame, has three Stanley cups, and has a historical resume most GM's or presidents will never have. He didn't sign on on to be Aqua's yes man, at this point in his life he doesn't need the money, he's made plenty. 

If Miller stays it's because Rutherford and Al want to make it work, not because of ownership.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2