The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

I wonder if a deal with NYI could be a possibility. They are going all in and have a roster full of veterans. Something like this might help our right hand side D, plus add toughness and futures...

To VAN: Mayfield + Martin + Holmstrom + 2022 1st

To NYI: Miller + Dermott

Extensions for Mayfield and Miller are negotiated prior to the trade.

VAN gets a big veteran stay at home RHD in Mayfield to play with Hughes. Also add toughness in Martin for $1.5m. And a 20 year old RW selected 23rd overall in 2019 (Holmstrom). Plus a 1st round pick around 13th overall.

In addition to this trade NYI target a trade with Colorado sending them Beauvillier + Varlamov + pick in exchange for Girard. Plus sign a cheap UFA or two such as Rutta, NYI defense becomes a better mix of young/experienced and big/mobile and defense/offense:

Girard Pulock

Pelech Dobson

Dermott Rutta

(Salo Wilde)

• Haha 1

Honestly what happens with Miller comes down to management and how gutsy they are. I think if JB was behind the desk, we could expect a monster haul. He wasn't shy to pull off big deals and I bet he'd get us a good player, prospect and pick for Miller which would fill our organizational needs and get us some cap relief.

Either that or he'd flip Boeser or Garland.

With the new guys, they're quite inexperienced, and I bet other GMs around the league aren't taking them seriously yet so I doubt they'll get decent proposals. They still haven't made any big moves, I think Allvin and co. are quite conservative (compared to JR, but he's not pulling all the strings) so timing-wise I doubt we'll see a Miller trade. We'll probably see a very decent low-ish, long term contract signed though.

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly what happens with Miller comes down to management and how gutsy they are. I think if JB was behind the desk, we could expect a monster haul. He wasn't shy to pull off big deals and I bet he'd get us a good player, prospect and pick for Miller which would fill our organizational needs and get us some cap relief.

Either that or he'd flip Boeser or Garland.

With the new guys, they're quite inexperienced, and I bet other GMs around the league aren't taking them seriously yet so I doubt they'll get decent proposals. They still haven't made any big moves, I think Allvin and co. are quite conservative (compared to JR, but he's not pulling all the strings) so timing-wise I doubt we'll see a Miller trade. We'll probably see a very decent low-ish, long term contract signed though.

Is 64 mil lowish?  

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think they'll sign him for 8-8.5M. Nothing over 9M. 8M x 5 years would be ideal but I think it'll end up 8.5M x 6 years.

That would be a fantastic deal.  Then trade Bo for the cap room and prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't want Vancouver to become another San Jose. Just look at how their older, big ticket players have tailed off. Deal Miller for a RD and a prospect and a pic. 

Then you have Pavelski in Dallas and a career year at his age. I'm of the opinion that Miller and Bo stay, Boeser draws the short one. I don't see moving a Myers, or OEL for a right dman. As much as folks here rag on Myers, he had a very good year, but he's not capable of playing huge minutes in multiple games. Like the 3 games in 4 night road trips.

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I don't want Vancouver to become another San Jose. Just look at how their older, big ticket players have tailed off. Deal Miller for a RD and a prospect and a pic. 

We have Demko for four more years on his current deal.  Quinn for five. 

Maybe it’s best we sign Miller to an 8 year deal, and go all in to compete for the next 4 years.  We can squeeze out a fifth year too, if lucky and Miller can keep his play close to where he is now until 34.

Then we will lose Hughes as a UFA, so we trade him at the TDL of his last year.  And in the summer of that year we buyout Miller, and go into a deep diving tank for 3-5 years.

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Miller professed his love for Vancouver.

$8Mx 6yr.

Get it done!!

I think you’re close to the cap hit with 8 mil.  But the term will be the maximum - 8 years.  We need to keep Miller’s yearly cap cost as low as possible.  So I see 8.15 x 8 years.  Right about that 65 million total.  

Sign Miller 8 years and you have a 4 year window to win the cup and that's it. You don't win in those 4 years you're selling off Petey and Quinn. 

You trade him and the window doesn't open as soon but is open for longer. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Sign Miller 8 years and you have a 4 year window to win the cup and that's it. You don't win in those 4 years you're selling off Petey and Quinn. 

I agree.  But is there any guarantee moving Miller now will create a winning window in two years that is better than the one we have right now with Bruce as coach and keeping the current club’s core together?  

Maybe it is our best window right now with Bruce, and this extended core group?  

I will not be too disappointed either way.  We sign Miller to 8.2 x 8 and Bess and Bo too, and go all in for 4-5 more years.  Or we trade Miller, and take a couple steps back.  Both okay by me.

But I am starting to lean towards the “bird in hand” concept.  We know, with Bruce coaching, this current extended core is a playoff team.  And with Demko we can win any series, if he’s Bubble Boy.  If we trade Miller and take a step back for two or three years, then we are losing those years of Demko in his prime and on a great contract.  

Maybe it’s best to go all in now and for the four years of Demko’s contract.  Then we go full tank (if needed) after that.  Buy out Miller, and trade Hughes and Demko.  Trade Petey too if he wants out.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I agree.  But is there any guarantee moving Miller now will create a winning window in two years that is better than the one we have right now with Bruce as coach and keeping the current club’s core together?  

Maybe it is our best window right now with Bruce, and this extended core group?  

I will not be too disappointed either way.  We sign Miller to 8.2 x 8 and Bess and Bo too, and go all in for 4-5 more years.  Or we trade Miller, and take a couple steps back.  Both okay by me.

But I am starting to lean towards the “bird in hand” concept.  We know, with Bruce coaching, this current extended core is a playoff team.  And with Demko we can win any series, if he’s Bubble Boy.  If we trade Miller and take a step back for two or three years, then we are losing those years of Demko in his prime and on a great contract.  

Maybe it’s best to go all in now and for the four years of Demko’s contract.  Then we go full tank (if needed) after that.  Buy out Miller, and trade Hughes and Demko.  Trade Petey too if he wants out.  

Coaches can only do so much. At some point the allure wears off. The goal should be to get a roster good enough to compete for the Cup with you or me behind the bench. 

Yes losing Miller will hurt, but this team should live or die on the shoulders of Quinn, Petey and Demko. Everything else can be built around them and should be, you need assets to get good players on good deals to work with. Hell we already saw 2 second round picks can get you one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

This team is draft pick thin, has maybe the 2nd or 3rd WORST prospect pipeline in the NHL and is capped out. There's no need to sugar coat it, there needs to be a lot of change this Summer, not just putting lipstick on a pig. 

I should clarify, that should be the plan if the goal is to one day win the Cup with this core. If everyone is fine making the playoffs now and again and occasionally winning a round or 2 then hell ya sign up JT for 8 years. 

Edited by Zhukini
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Coaches can only do so much. At some point the allure wears off. The goal should be to get a roster good enough to compete for the Cup with you or me behind the bench. 

Yes losing Miller will hurt, but this team should live or die on the shoulders of Quinn, Petey and Demko. Everything else can be built around them and should be, you need assets to get good players on good deals to work with. Hell we already saw 2 second round picks can get you one of the best defensemen in the NHL.

This team is draft pick thin, has maybe the 2nd or 3rd WORST prospect pipeline in the NHL and is capped out. There's no need to sugar coat it, there needs to be a lot of change this Summer, not just putting lipstick on a pig. 

I should clarify, that should be the plan if the goal is to one day win the Cup with this core. If everyone is fine making the playoffs now and again and occasionally winning a round or 2 then hell ya sign up JT for 8 years. 

Sure, I’m okay with either direction.  Keeping things as is will make for an exciting few years.  Trading Miller this summer (tells me JR is setting the course and not our owner) and it will be fun to see what he and Allvin can build over the next couple.  

21 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I wonder if a deal with NYI could be a possibility. They are going all in and have a roster full of veterans. Something like this might help our right hand side D, plus add toughness and futures...

To VAN: Mayfield + Martin + Holmstrom + 2022 1st

To NYI: Miller + Dermott

Extensions for Mayfield and Miller are negotiated prior to the trade.

VAN gets a big veteran stay at home RHD in Mayfield to play with Hughes. Also add toughness in Martin for $1.5m. And a 20 year old RW selected 23rd overall in 2019 (Holmstrom). Plus a 1st round pick around 13th overall.

In addition to this trade NYI target a trade with Colorado sending them Beauvillier + Varlamov + pick in exchange for Girard. Plus sign a cheap UFA or two such as Rutta, NYI defense becomes a better mix of young/experienced and big/mobile and defense/offense:

Girard Pulock

Pelech Dobson

Dermott Rutta

(Salo Wilde)

Dobson or GTFO.

I like Mayfield and all, but not for Miller and the rest of that package is pretty meh.

They'd still have Girard, Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield in their top 4, which is still quite good. And they massively upgrade their F core (which they desperately need).

14 hours ago, Zhukini said:

People keep talking about windows as if we can order one for delivery…

Personally, I’d order a door. It’s bigger and the Cup fits through it.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1