The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Agreed.  Boston seems like the perfect fit for JT and he wouldn't be a rental.  

Miller for DeBrusk + Frederik + Lysell.

With assets like: Debrusk, Garland/Boeser, Hogs, Lysell and Rathbone I don't see a problem finding top

pairing you RD.

Already, I can see Garland for Matt Roy.

I prefer the potential package from PIT. Something around Marino, Blomqvist, Poulind and their 1st. Perhaps Kapanen if we send a second piece.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Miller is a rental to Pit.  

According to...?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I stand by my initial statement.  If we're drafting 2nd we're draftign Slafkovsky or trading back for Nemec

I'd take Nemec for sure ::D, just like Jiricek a bit more because of his size next to QH...would be our Seabrook / Keith in their prime.

After reading the rest of your posts I can tell that we don't agree at all on the value of Miller and Boeser and that's cool, we're only speculating here anyways. Either player will be worth what another GM will be willing to pay so I hope PA will fleece a couple of them and take us 2 steps closer. 100% agree that Kravtsov is a risk, but for a decent depth player like that he just might be a good piece that would enhance our 3rd line and could step up to 2nd line if called upon...I just value him a bit more than you do but again, all cool.

If we can plug a few holes over the next 6 months we might actually be a W/C team in the spring of 2023...and hopefully a serious contender 1-2 years after that...here's hoping!

5 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

I'd take Nemec for sure ::D, just like Jiricek a bit more because of his size next to QH...would be our Seabrook / Keith in their prime.

After reading the rest of your posts I can tell that we don't agree at all on the value of Miller and Boeser and that's cool, we're only speculating here anyways. Either player will be worth what another GM will be willing to pay so I hope PA will fleece a couple of them and take us 2 steps closer. 100% agree that Kravtsov is a risk, but for a decent depth player like that he just might be a good piece that would enhance our 3rd line and could step up to 2nd line if called upon...I just value him a bit more than you do but again, all cool.

If we can plug a few holes over the next 6 months we might actually be a W/C team in the spring of 2023...and hopefully a serious contender 1-2 years after that...here's hoping!

That's the joy of a forum, we can discuss it.  I like Nemec more, not sure why.  But I do.

Just don't like Kravtsov.  if the Rags can foist hi off on someone for a solid return they'll laugh harder than they did with 2 lottery wins

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That's the joy of a forum, we can discuss it.  I like Nemec more, not sure why.  But I do.

Just don't like Kravtsov.  if the Rags can foist hi off on someone for a solid return they'll laugh harder than they did with 2 lottery wins

I think Nemec will become someone's Quinn Hughes...smarter and more skilled that Jiricek. But we have a Quinn Hughes, we need a younger, better Brayden Schenn to fill that top RHD void in 12 months...AND we'll need another RHD to compliment OEL whom we're stuck with for the next 3 years at least (I wouldn't want his buyout on our books for 4 years after that...better off utilizing him for the next 3 years then trade and retain for the final 2...but that's another tale for another forum on a different day).

I am interested in your comment about #2 overall...Slafkovsky vs. Jiricek. Don't get me wrong, I think Slafkovsky is good enough to go 1st overall in some years, but elite RHD's are rare. Occasionally you can grab one in their prime (ie/ Hamilton or even Subban back in the day), but to get one for an ELC over the next 3 years seems too good to pass up. It's possible that if we're ready to compete for a cup in 2-3 years, our top pairing would only cost us less than 9 mil bucks...that leaves a bunch of cash to enhance all other positions. But I suppose then the same argument could be made for Slafkovsky on the top line...we'd have cash to spare for an elite RHD, I just think they're harder to come by.

7 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Lots of teams have done well in the regular season and  then drop off in the playoffs.  Maybe someone touched

the President's Cup:picard:

Have a look at their individual playoff records.  The only one that played really well was Verhaeghe. 

Just not good enough coming from the star players.

like i said they were fine in the first series and they got dominated in the 2nd series by a hot goaltender lol.. they generated 154 shots in the 4 games almost 40 a game on goal.. vasilevsky gave up 3 goals total.. with a .980 sv%.. put in any other goalie.. i'm sure they score more than 3 goals.. they were in it till the last 5mins in game 1.. they were in it till last 4 sec in game 2.. they were in it till the last 5mins game 3.. they were in it right up till the empty net goal in game 4.. they played well enough in the series to at least win a couple but they got owned by a hot goaltender. vasilevsky was the only reason this series appeared so lobsided

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I think 2023 playoff bubble team, contending by 2025.

If you wanna be smug that's cool.  People hate the truth and they don't like reality.  They like to believe Boeser alone will get them the 2nd overall or that magically our depleted and non existent prospect pool will all magically turn in to quality role players and Miller et all will all take uber team friendly deals and everyone born in BC is coming back to play here.

But that aint factual, realistic or gonna happen.  The truth is we are not competing next year, possibly the year after.  We're in a division with McJesus and the Kings.  Anaheim is WAY ahead of us in terms of their own rebuild as well.  The Knights will be like the Sharks in that they roll us based on their size and back end skill.  Then there is the Phlegms.  That's JUST our division.  

Trading Miller in hopes of recouping a solid and quality return for a player of his calibre with his cap hit (with or without retention) is our best path towards actual long term contention.  The alternative is we do what the Canucks do every single decade in that we stockpile a few good players, acquire a smattering or prospects/picks then trade it all to compete two years before we're ready and wonder what went wrong.  It's a model we've stuck to since inception and we have exactly as many cups in that amount of time to show for it as the Leafs.

I want more.  I will suffer another year or two for more.  We deserve it.

Don't know what you mean about being 'smug'.  You said that Bo would be 30yrs by the time the Canucks would have a  team that could actually beat any of the 3 top teams in the West.  Then it would take time to meet the next level in the east.  Your projection is 4 yrs minimum and now you are talking about most of the other teams in the west are ahead of

the Canucks in the building team race.  That seems like a long way from 2025.

Just now, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I could be wrong, but with the Rangers doing so well, I don't think they'll want to trade any of their young players any more for JT Miller.

If they get stomped by Tampa they might

Sure, they could look at it as "this roster was so close" but they could also look at it as "well, what'd put us over the top?"

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

I could be wrong, but with the Rangers doing so well, I don't think they'll want to trade any of their young players any more for JT Miller.

Good. I want him to stay a Canuck. One less trading partner is a good thing.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Sure, they could look at it as "this roster was so close" but they could also look at it as "well, what'd put us over the top?"

It's the main reason why I think any trade discussions with them will involve Kravtsov. He's not on their roster right now so he isn't impacting their current run...JT would actually enhance their current roster for a run next year. As I've been discussing with WarHippy, Kravtsov alone is far far too little to get a deal done (he actually doesn't want him at all), but a plus and a higher pick would do it I think, with no retention.

12 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

It's the main reason why I think any trade discussions with them will involve Kravtsov. He's not on their roster right now so he isn't impacting their current run...JT would actually enhance their current roster for a run next year. As I've been discussing with WarHippy, Kravtsov alone is far far too little to get a deal done (he actually doesn't want him at all), but a plus and a higher pick would do it I think, with no retention.

I agree with Hippy that Kravtsov holds questionable trade value. Yes, he's an intriguing prospect but he's also shown that he's willing to play hardball with an NHL team before really even getting a taste at the NHL level. We don't need a flight risk. Assuming he's able to make it over here sooner than later anyway, given the current war between Russia and Ukraine. 

Kravtsov as a trade piece is one thing, but I don't believe he'd actually add significant value to a trade at this point. If the Rags aren't willing to play ball and give up pieces that are palatable to management we'll look elsewhere, I don't believe we'll have too much trouble getting a good return for Miller. Particularly if we retain, which would up the return and increase the number of teams able to potentially acquire him. 

25 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

They seem set in their C: Zibanejad's not going anywhere. Strome's playing well on both ends and needs a new contract. They are also pretty happy about new acquisition Copp and now talking about Copp needing to get paid as well. They're already close to the cap. The cap is where having young guys at low contracts help.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

You're LITERALLY creating the argument of WHY Miller is in fact worth that and more.  So thank you.

Remind me the last time a player as versatile as Miller, with his age and production was available to start a season at under $5.5 million. Now retain some of that.  25%?  maybe 30%?  Hell 50%?

What is a 99 point C/LW/RW worth for under $5 million?  Hell how about under $3.25 million?  Think only contending teams will pay for that?  Every bubble team in the league will line up for that knowing if it doesn't work out, the TDL means they can recoup their losses.

Miller si worth whatever another team wants to pay him.  You can claim NJ doesn't want him, but you dangle Miller to Ferguson and I am sure he is interested.  A team, that won the draft lottery 3 times in the least 6 years has the assets and cap space right now to entertain the thought.

Boeser is what he is.  A 25 goal-25 assist winger.  He has a $7.5 million QO for one year or is possibly to be had for less for longer term.  But 50-55 point wingers are a dime a dozen right now in the league.  He is also not supplanting Bratt off of that top line 

Miller, at this value; for his contract and his lack of an NTC/NMC for his production is an absolute steal of a bargain the type the league hasn't seen in decades.

As for Kravtsov.  Lemme ask you.  What value does Tryamkin have in a trade?  Why is this important?  before you jump in about rfa/ufa or age.  He is as tangible and asset to any other team as Kravtsov is to us.  With less intangibles.  There is ZERO onus on Kravtsov to show up for the Rangers, he might only want to play for one or two teams.  Plus he's in russia and they are on the verge of complete mobilization for combat which means he will most likely not be allowed to even leave the country.  Trading Miller for a 2nd and a defensively irresponsible Right Winger who has entitlement issues is NOT an asset.  it is a throw in; like buy X amount of gas get a free glizzy thrown in.

Sorry mate, we won't agree on this at all.  You kinda made the case as to why Miller is so valuable but failed to make the case as to why Boeser would return more or how Kravtsov is an asset worth coveting.

They can't extend him before the draft as he won't yet be in the last year of his deal - at the draft he's a 1-year rental.  Anyone know if teams are even allowed to talk to him about an extension before.

There's expected to be plenty of teams interested in Miller.  He's one year to UFA and has leverage to decide where he signs.  He can't prevent Vancouver from trading him as a 1-year rental but he's not forced to extend with anyone.  

He's nearing 30 and has yet to win a Cup.  NJD finished near bottom in the standings and have a pretty large question mark in goal.  The players and the team are still very inconsistent as their young players try and figure out the league.  They look to be several years away from being competitive and able to win multiple playoff rounds. 

So why would he want to go on a rebuilding team like NJD when there should be competitive teams interested in him.

The Canucks can talk to Miller all they want about a new deal and could give teams permission to talk to him, they just can't sign him until he's within the last year of the contract, I'm assuming that's after July 1st.

18 minutes ago, Vinny in Vancouver said:

They seem set in their C: Zibanejad's not going anywhere. Strome's playing well on both ends and needs a new contract. They are also pretty happy about new acquisition Copp and now talking about Copp needing to get paid as well. They're already close to the cap. The cap is where having young guys at low contracts help.

I don't see Strome staying, that's the thing. Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. But if I remember correctly we've heard rumours in the past that the Rags were interested in moving him. 

They like Copp, I've heard and read that much. 

But teams trade for rentals every year, and I'll never count out the Rags from doing something wild. Rags gon Rag. 

If NYR lose in 6 or 7 to TBay then I'd wager they regret not making a larger push for Miller at the TDL. Schneider only played 9 mins tonight (granted it was game 7). I bet they would trade that for JT Miller heading into a series with the 2x defending champs.

9 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

If NYR lose in 6 or 7 to TBay then I'd wager they regret not making a larger push for Miller at the TDL. Schneider only played 9 mins tonight (granted it was game 7). I bet they would trade that for JT Miller heading into a series with the 2x defending champs.

So bent on trading our best player.

You guys will never win a Cup.

Just now, aliboy said:

The Canucks can talk to Miller all they want about a new deal and could give teams permission to talk to him, they just can't sign him until he's within the last year of the contract, I'm assuming that's after July 1st.

Dates are pushed back this year.  13 July for free agency with the draft 7-8 July.

They are technically not allowed to according to some.  Even his agent hints at it when he says they can't talk extension before the summer.  

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

So bent on trading our best player.

You guys will never win a Cup.

Unless you think that we can win the cup next year, Miller's future (expensive) contract does not fit with this team's window...so why not cash in that chip now? Why wait until it is devalued and brings us less in return as a TDL rental , or worse yet, we sign him to an expensive longer term contract that becomes upside down (cost vs. production) and anchors us for the next few years after that? We're repeating the same bad mistakes that are perpetually keeping us from being a contender, we need to break the cycle and get all our players on the same page, the same level at the same time...THAT is how you compete for a cup...no dogs, anchor contracts or press box commandoes...ALL IN!

• Cheers 1