The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

we may never have a true top pair RHD, not sure I want to make that the requirement to sign Miller or not. We may end up with three offensive players on the left side (Hughes, OEL, Rathbone) and more stay at home types on the right side. 

Another winger can come via free agency after next season when our dead cap is gone. 

This year has the potential. There's the obvious top 2 (Jiricek and Nemec) and then there's a couple of dark horses (Luneau and Lameroux) that if given a chance just might turn into a top pairing RHD...will take longer than DJ or Nemec (those two will be top pairing Dmen within 12 months...hopefully one of them for us).

I like Jiricek...2way guy that's 6'3" 195 and plays a heavy mean game, strong skater and an absolute bomb of a point shot (they call him the "Czech Pronger")...just the guy we need to compliment Hughes.

• Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

I guess it depends on their negotiations with Nate M? If he's looking to 10+ after next season, and he should be, that makes a Miller extension tough to make given all the UFAs on their roster - 9 UFAs, 2 RFA's this offseason. That's a lot of salary to throw around.

Miller might be better as a rental for them?

I was thinking rental, yes.  If they lose in this round, they're going to be desperate to win next year and Miller would be a huge step in that direction and the Canucks could even retain on his $5.5m to make it more enticing.  MIller and Rathbone for Newhook, Byram and a pick.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

I was thinking rental, yes.  If they lose in this round, they're going to be desperate to win next year and Miller would be a huge step in that direction and the Canucks could even retain on his $5.5m to make it more enticing.  MIller and Rathbone for Newhook, Byram and a pick.

Miller at 50% for one year is ridiculous value. That trade would be good for us from a futures pov, but I'd be pretty concerned about Byram, that noggin can't take another hit. 

• Vintage 1

I think if Miller goes anywhere, it'll be Boston or Pittsburgh. 

With JR/PA coming in to clean house, it felt like they were going to tear it down and rebuild, but I don't think that's the plan. They might feel the core is there now, and they need to try to bring in the right support players for that core. 

Miller

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Podkolzin

Hughes

Rathbone

Demko

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

This year has the potential. There's the obvious top 2 (Jiricek and Nemec) and then there's a couple of dark horses (Luneau and Lameroux) that if given a chance just might turn into a top pairing RHD...will take longer than DJ or Nemec (those two will be top pairing Dmen within 12 months...hopefully one of them for us).

I like Jiricek...2way guy that's 6'3" 195 and plays a heavy mean game, strong skater and an absolute bomb of a point shot (they call him the "Czech Pronger")...just the guy we need to compliment Hughes.

we'd have to trade Miller to Philly for a shot at those two and even then watch AZ and Seattle take them :lol:

3 minutes ago, mll said:

You really think that to chose between Pittsburgh/NYR/Boston or NJD - Miller choses the rebuilding team?  He doesn't have his full career ahead of him.  Making the playoffs is just the initial step.  Their team barely has any playoff experience.   Both McLellan and Armstrong listed a core weathered by playoff experience among the 5 reasons they believe their team finally won.  It took them so many years to get there.  NJD is just at the start.  They were 37 points out of a playoff spot.  

You really think that he'd choose

Boston:  Where their only centre worth speaking of is 37 and about to retire or sign a 1 year and their best winger is MAachand who is also aging out

Pittsburgh: where Malkin/Crosby are the best 1-2 not named Draisatl but might only have 2 years left with their injuries, no goalie to speak of and Rust carrying the load

NYR: Where they somehow are not a possible trade partner now, but are the near perfect blend of under 25 and near 30 and now don't need him

Over

NJD that can PAY HIM that $8.5 million plus where he'd be the only vet around the age of 30 teaching and leading arguably one of the most skilled and deepest pool of kids under the age of 23 in the league?  Not only pay him but also ensure that the structure of his contract with their space, time and current age of their kids on ELCs would only mean 1-2 years of possible cap issues allowing them to be competitive for the duration of his contract.  While being less than an hours flight to his home town in Ohio.

But ok...sure.  He'll go to Pittsburgh AFTER Vancouver trades him wherever they want to because he has no control of his contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, gurn said:

Oh I see how this works

Some people, so bent on keeping an aging super expensive player; hosing our future cap.

Those people will never make the playoffs again.

Fun stuff.

Right I forgot. Yep players’ careers are done by the time they hit 26 years old.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think if Miller goes anywhere, it'll be Boston or Pittsburgh. 

With JR/PA coming in to clean house, it felt like they were going to tear it down and rebuild, but I don't think that's the plan. They might feel the core is there now, and they need to try to bring in the right support players for that core. 

Miller

Horvat

Pettersson

Boeser

Podkolzin

Hughes

Rathbone

Demko

There you go. A post that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hurricanes could use a JT in their lineup. The problem is I don't really see what they have, that we need in return. 

Necas and Bear? young right shot C and a decent 3rd pair right side d?

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I have a hard time believing that there wouldn't be general discussions over interest in staying. You don't have to "negotiate" hard numbers but you could have a lot of discussion over intentions on staying, general contract length (e.g., looking for a short or long term) and certainly the yearly exit interviews would be informative. 

Would expect them to have an indication. Not sure they can grant permission to other teams to talk to him though - that seems less evident to justify.

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly. Strictly, they're not allowed to "negotiate" but they can certainly have "discussions". 

There's a reason so many deals (with highly complicated structures, bonuses, trade clauses etc) are signed literally minutes after free agency opens. They didn't just magically sort through all of that in 20 minutes...

The interview period has been removed in the latest CBA.  Before there was 1 week before free agency where teams were allowed to talk to upcoming UFAs.  They were supposed to just get a feel on whether there was interest, but the rules were regularly bent.  They came to free agency with contracts already fully defined which was not the intent - they even sent out a memo at least one year to remind that they can't discuss details but it was hardly followed.  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we'd have to trade Miller to Philly for a shot at those two and even then watch AZ and Seattle take them :lol:

That's why we need NJD's 2 O/A. Wright is #1, then we can draft by position. WarHippy is pretty sure Slafkovsky will go #2 (and he probably should) BUT, we have a need for that "elusive" elite RHD...if available this year, I think we need to shoot our shot. WH prefers Nemec (he is absolutely world class) but he already have QH, so I prefer DJ as the compliment to Quinn's game. But you're right, if we make a deal with Philly at 5, chances are both elite RHD's will be gone...better off getting #2 O/A or just hold off and use our own #15 to pick Luneau or Lameroux (I like Luneau's skillset as an eventual replacement for Schenn to compliment Hughes...Lameroux would be more a direct replacement for Myers).

• Vintage 1

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I agree. He likes to shut every possible trade idea down if possible, especially if there is some vague tweet he can bend to his viewpoint. I like you see a team in a huge market area with crazy talent (insane talent actually) on the team and on the horizon, and insane amounts of cap space and future promise. No one but JT knows what motivates him but 7 years building with that team would look mighty attractive to me as far as options go. He would jump right into a team with arguably the best building blocks in the league as the defacto 'go to guy'?

To be fair I don't think it's an intention to "bend things to his viewpoint". He just may be the world's most literal person. At times I've seriously questioned if he's a bot :lol:

I don't think his parents encouraged "imagineering" :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

That's why we need NJD's 2 O/A. Wright is #1, then we can draft by position. WarHippy is pretty sure Slafkovsky will go #2 (and he probably should) BUT, we have a need for that "elusive" elite RHD...if available this year, I think we need to shoot our shot. WH prefers Nemec (he is absolutely world class) but he already have QH, so I prefer DJ as the compliment to Quinn's game. But you're right, if we make a deal with Philly at 5, chances are both elite RHD's will be gone...better off getting #2 O/A or just hold off and use our own #15 to pick Luneau or Lameroux (I like Luneau's skillset as an eventual replacement for Schenn to compliment Hughes...Lameroux would be more a direct replacement for Myers).

if we did pull off the miracle of getting NJ's 1st, I think passing on Slafkovsky would be instantly regrettable. It might make us even forget about Tkachuk.

I suspect our 15th would have to be part of the package to NJ if we're getting to pick that high. 

Something like Miller, our 15th for NJ 2nd oa and Zacha? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Right I forgot. Yep players’ careers are done by the time they hit 26 years old.

If you're so damn confident in what you're arguing why don't you use the actual numbers instead of creating a false narrative?

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair I don't think it's an intention to "bend things to his viewpoint". He just may be the world's most literal person. At times I've seriously questioned if he's a bot :lol:

I don't think his parents encouraged "imagineering" :lol:

Ha ha, yeah he's incredibly informative but I think he takes things way to 'literal', as you say. Nailed it. It's like he doesn't realize when GM's talk it's kind of like a politician. They say what they would like to do but rarely does it turn out exactly that way. Of course the GM landscape is filled with contradiction so I don't really expect their tweets to be binding or something they need to follow at all costs. He seems to think these tweets are like personal promises to him. :lol:

It's like when GM's say we'd like to get younger and they sign a 31 year old fourth liner for two years. Even something slightly contradictory and there is a big uproar from fans who can't understand why they moved on from a 27 year old, even though he sucked and can't play defence, forecheck, or PK. Alf what?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

If you're so damn confident in what you're arguing why don't you use the actual numbers instead of creating a false narrative?

Do YOU? have the actual numbers? No one does. The dude isn’t signed beyond next year. All of it is speculation. 

But go ahead and groupwish the player away.

Why play the game if you have a chance to lose. May as well quit before the results are in.

It’s the most asinine disease manifesting with the Vancouver da base; giving up before the race even starts.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

we may never have a true top pair RHD, not sure I want to make that the requirement to sign Miller or not. We may end up with three offensive players on the left side (Hughes, OEL, Rathbone) and more stay at home types on the right side. 

Another winger can come via free agency after next season when our dead cap is gone. 

The top pair RHD doesn't need to be offensive.. they can be defensively minded ala Tanev. Bottom line is we don't have one of those.

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The top pair RHD doesn't need to be offensive.. they can be defensively minded ala Tanev. Bottom line is we don't have one of those.

nope, can't argue with that.