The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Still like the Rangers best for fit and the likely return coming back to us, but the Bruins make a TONNE of sense for extending their window and with Bergeron 36 and expiring. He'd make a solid replacement 1C for them. 

Not sure I like their return for us as much though. Debrusk as the likely young cap/roster player coming back vs Chytil. IMO I doubt we get Carlo (they can't afford to lose him if they're actually going for it...unless maybe they spend elsewhere for Klingberg). But otherwise their prospect pool is a bit ho-hum beyond Lysell who's more of what we already have.

Minnesota makes a load of sense given their lack of top end C's (surprised VGK aren't on the list for the same reason). Not sure they'd be willing to give up what's required given their impending cap issues but it would have to start with Boldy and probably Fiala.

Still like the Rangers pieces better.

Calgary...oof. Not sure they could afford our ask for dealing him within our division and it's not like they have some overwhelming prospect pool . Probably one of Mangiapane or Dube as cap/roster player,... then what, left D Valimaki? And then there's... Zary/Pelletier/Mackey (another lefty)...

None of that really screams "must take", particualrly for a division rival.

Yeah, none of this is close to what NYR could offer.  Debrusk, Fiala ... pass. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, garthsbutcher said:

For the love of God keep Miller and trade BB !!!! Miller is the heart and soul of this team, sorry Horvat.

I get what your saying, and I agree. But it can't be a blank check contract extension for JT. Also, JT has to want to stay.

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Have to give to get. Two runs of $5.25m (or less?) Miller isn't going to come cheap. He's a top 15, all positions, all situations F on a cheap hit.

For sure. But they trade Carlo and now their D is weak, likely too weak to contend in the playoffs which would be the point of them acquiring Miller.

Unless they plan on making another trade to fill the hole Carlo leaves behind. Possible, I guess, but one trade of this magnitude is complicated enough.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Minnesota? I guess they need a top center something fierce. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Still like the Rangers best for fit and the likely return coming back to us, but the Bruins make a TONNE of sense for extending their window and with Bergeron 36 and expiring. He'd make a solid replacement 1C for them. 

Not sure I like their return for us as much though. Debrusk as the likely young cap/roster player coming back vs Chytil. IMO I doubt we get Carlo (they can't afford to lose him if they're actually going for it...unless maybe they spend elsewhere for Klingberg). But otherwise their prospect pool is a bit ho-hum beyond Lysell who's more of what we already have.

Minnesota makes a load of sense given their lack of top end C's (surprised VGK aren't on the list for the same reason). Not sure they'd be willing to give up what's required given their impending cap issues but it would have to start with Boldy and probably Fiala.

Still like the Rangers pieces better.

Calgary...oof. Not sure they could afford our ask for dealing him within our division and it's not like they have some overwhelming prospect pool . Probably one of Mangiapane or Dube as cap/roster player,... then what, left D Valimaki? And then there's... Zary/Pelletier/Mackey (another lefty)...

None of that really screams "must take", particualrly for a division rival.

Rangers are the best fit imo, it makes too much sense.

Boston being interested makes sense, but like you said I'm not sure what we'd really want from them. I'd like Carlo, but that'd be a tough pill for Boston. 

Not sure what we'd get from Minnesota, they've been extremely stingy when it comes to moving anything out since Guerin took over. But they'd have to give to get.

Calgary doesn't make sense, and doesn't seem likely. They've been a middling team and they lack high end prospects because of it, being a divisional rival also ups the price. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

For sure. But they trade Carlo and now their D is weak, likely too weak to contend in the playoffs which would be the point of them acquiring Miller.

Unless they plan on making another trade to fill the hole Carlo leaves behind. Possible, I guess, but one trade of this magnitude is complicated enough.

I was referring to the Rangers/Schneider but sure :lol:

4 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I think any Carlo trade would be contingent on bringing someone else in.

But you know, maybe not? D are tough to find, particularly right D, but they don't have anyone in their system who could take on 1C duties sooner than later. Bergeron's in his twilight years. If they acquire Miller it might not even be about this season so much as locking him up as their 1C for the foreseeable future. I could easily see him extending there. 

Maybe a Carlo move is more possible than we think. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

2 questions: 

which team out of these 4 has the best 1st rd pick? 

which team has the best RHD prospect that could be included?

Better 1rst is probably going to be the Flames.

Better prospects would be the Wild.

No team really has a blue chip RHD prospect.

Each team has a mid to late 20 year old RHD in Carlo, Andersson and Dumba. People love Carlo but he’s like a 20-30 point a year dman. I’d like more production if he’s the main piece coming back.

45 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Like @aGENT said, Bruins deal Carlo and they are looking to replace him immediately, it doesn't make much sense.

I'd be thrilled with Schneider but I don't know how easily the Rangers would give him up. If we get him I would be surprised if the 2nd piece was anything more than a 2nd rounder or B prospect.

that would make it very easy to keep miller

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I was referring to the Rangers/Schneider but sure :lol:

Oh :lol: Still applies.

As for the Rangers, yes you're right. And if they do want Miller then Schneider definitely isn't too much to ask for considering he's still a prospect.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

As for the Rangers, yes you're right. And if they do want Miller then Schneider definitely isn't too much to ask for considering he's still a prospect.

Schneider, Chytil, amd two firsts for Miller and Motte’s Clamato. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But you know, maybe not? D are tough to find, particularly right D, but they don't have anyone in their system who could take on 1C duties sooner than later. Bergeron's in his twilight years. If they acquire Miller it might not even be about this season so much as locking him up as their 1C for the foreseeable future. I could easily see him extending there. 

The thing with any potential Carlo I don't like is the Bruins probably loath giving up much more than that was he's currently the better, more proven player but Schneider has every chance to be just as good or better than him long term and I think we'd be able to get more, other pieces. I like Chytil A LOT better than Debrusk for example.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's if they plan on trying to skip the rebuild and transition immediately into another competitive core. I wouldn't say that's wise for them but definitely a possibility.

With Marchand, McAvoy and Pastrnak they would be off to a good start, but their organization is currently much like ours: top heavy with not enough quality depth to be a true contender and probably at least a couple years away from being able to build up that depth.

Who knows what their management team is thinking, though - I don't even know what ours is thinking. :frantic:

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Minimum ask has to be Chytil, Schneider and a first IMO. If we include Schenn and/or retain a little, I'd love to see if we could get Barron too.

• Like 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Minimum ask has to be Chytil, Schneider and a first IMO. If we include Schenn and/or retain a little, I'd love to see if we could get Barron too.

I think Miller is a heck of a player, but if we can trade him (at this TDL) for the return you’re suggesting, then JR has to get it done.  Bye bye Miller.  

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The thing with any potential Carlo I don't like is the Bruins probably loath giving up much more than that was he's currently the better, more proven player but Schneider has every chance to be just as good or better than him long term and I think we'd be able to get more, other pieces. I like Chytil A LOT better than Debrusk for example.

Oh, I def agree, it's just that I wouldn't be surprised if they were considering it. 

They've got some prime aged guys in Pasta and McAvoy, I could see them trying to pull things together quickly instead of rebuilding. 

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

That's if they plan on trying to skip the rebuild and transition immediately into another competitive core. I wouldn't say that's wise for them but definitely a possibility.

With Marchand, McAvoy and Pastrnak they would be off to a good start, but their organization is currently much like ours: top heavy with not enough quality depth to be a true contender and probably at least a couple years away from being able to build up that depth.

Who knows what their management team is thinking, though - I don't even know what ours is thinking. :frantic:

It's possible, but yeah, hard to say. 

But they're Boston, if any team's got horseshoes up their ass it's them. They certainly don't seem to have a tough time attracting free agents. 

55 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Like @aGENT said, Bruins deal Carlo and they are looking to replace him immediately, it doesn't make much sense.

I'd be thrilled with Schneider but I don't know how easily the Rangers would give him up. If we get him I would be surprised if the 2nd piece was anything more than a 2nd rounder or B prospect.

Yes a deal with Bruins would likely need to be more than 1 for 1 for that reason, e.g.

To BOS: Miller + Schenn + Hamonic

To VAN: Carlo + Debrusk

....or something...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

Yes a deal with Bruins would likely need to be more than 1 for 1 for that reason, e.g.

To BOS: Miller + Schenn + Hamonic

To VAN: Carlo + Debrusk

....or something...

Again though, I like Carlo... A lot. But at this point Debrusk is largely a cap dump. And they probably will try to avoid near anything to give Carlo up/feel like they're giving up too much already to add a tonne more to make it worth while. Happy to be wrong there and happy to have them bid up the Rangers but...

And Schneider has a good possibility of being better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

The identity of this team has been weak for so many years, I can’t imagine the Canucks lose this guy….we finally got that power forward we were looking for since Bert and now all these rumours of Miller being gone. This is infuriating 

Why?  I thought everyone's complaint about JB was that he either let assets walk away or he didn't get full value for them?  Isn't moving valuable pieces before they decline and stick the team with an anchor contract the preferred path?

Why doesnt that apply anymore?

Edited by stawns
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1