The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah we get it but chill out. We have an awesome all around #2ld slightly overpaid. Not much to do or be concerned about right now. Way bigger fish to fry. 

You probably also see him take a bigger role offensively with Myers gone.

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

if we end up moving Myers for a decent return we will have OEL to thank. Maybe we can factor that into the cost of his salary a bit. 

He's honestly not even remotely overpaid. The guy's still a #1D in a world where first pair D are making between $8-$12m AAV. We're basically paying him as a bottom of the barrel 1st pair/high end 2nd pair D and people still complain :picard:

New management needs to do a TONNE better at actually building a cohesive D core around Hughes and him, and we'll more than get our moneys worth. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Van40 said:

Miller's value will never be this high again. Trade him and Garland and maybe get off of OEL in one of those deals. Boeser would fetch a very nice return too. 

Who is going to take OEL's mins?

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's honestly not even remotely overpaid. The guy's still a #1D in a world where first pair D are making between $8-$12m AAV. We're basically paying him as a bottom of the barrel 1st pair/high end 2nd pair D and people still complain :picard:

New management needs to do a TONNE better at actually building a cohesive D core around Hughes and him, and we'll more than get our moneys worth. 

No not really but for the argument that in a sense he's playing in a lesser role that's OK too. It's not the end of the world to be paying a slight premium to ice a #1LD in the second pair. It's also excellent cover during injuries and penalties, or off games.

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

No not really but for the argument that in a sense he's playing in a lesser role that's OK too. It's not the end of the world to be paying a slight premium to ice a #1LD in the second pair. It's also excellent cover during injuries and penalties, or off games.

He's not really playing a "lesser role" though. He was our key matchup guy and made Myers look almost like a first pair D some nights.

He was arguably one of our better and more important players last year because he's a really, REALLY good defensemen. He was forced to play hard matchup minutes because we lacked better options.

Some actual defensive D around him and opposite him and we free him up to create again and have the luxury of having basically two first pairs. Yes please!

• Vintage 1

• NYR still seems like a great trade partner. They have loads of assetts. We have the game breaker in Miller. They are close. A top goalie in Shesterkin, mobile, skilled d corp and they can afford to part with one. They have good depth and balance  up front. Adding Miller would give them a great 2C option to replace Strome and his game is biuilt for the playoffs.

ps- I love Miller's game. Hope we can figure out a way to keep him. If not, the return Allvin gets HAS to be a home run!

37 minutes ago, KirkSave said:
  • NYR still seems like a great trade partner. They have loads of assetts. We have the game breaker in Miller. They are close. A top goalie in Shesterkin, mobile, skilled d corp and they can afford to part with one. They have good depth and balance  up front. Adding Miller would give them a great 2C option to replace Strome and his game is biuilt for the playoffs.

ps- I love Miller's game. Hope we can figure out a way to keep him. If not, the return Allvin gets HAS to be a home run!

They passed up home run at the deadline. We're probably looking at a stand up double at this point.

14 minutes ago, stawns said:

They passed up home run at the deadline. We're probably looking at a stand up double at this point.

None of us have any idea what was or wasn’t truly offered at the deadline. Would appear to most to have been the most opportune time though 

Edited by RWJC

44 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not really playing a "lesser role" though. He was our key matchup guy and made Myers look almost like a first pair D some nights.

He was arguably one of our better and more important players last year because he's a really, REALLY good defensemen. He was forced to play hard matchup minutes because we lacked better options.

Some actual defensive D around him and opposite him and we free him up to create again and have the luxury of having basically two first pairs. Yes please!

I meant in the sense that he's not in a position to get the 50 points wai lai is taking about where a Dman typically gets paid the type of salary he does. He also doesn't get the most prime offensive opportunities either. Even without that PP time and opportune starts he is able to deliver a rock solid #1LD role every where else. which is inherently valuable in itself and doesn't necessarily mean having two LD's at 7m is a big waste of cap.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, RWJC said:

None of us have any idea what was or wasn’t truly offered at the deadline. Would appear to most to have been the most opportune time though 

I was meaning it in the context of that's when his value would have been the highest.........two full cup runs on a killer deal.  Now, it's down to one and his value drops with every missed window.  Up to, and including, draft day is the next window.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I meant in the sense that he's not in a position to get the 50 points wai lai is taking about where a Dman typically gets paid the type of salary he does. He also doesn't get the most prime offensive opportunities either. Even without that PP time and opportune starts he is able to deliver a rock solid #1LD role every where else. which is inherently valuable in itself and doesn't necessarily mean having two LD's at 7m is a big waste of cap.

Exactly!

And imagine if we can free him up a bit by adding better defensive D around him and/or putting him with QH on the PP!

I honestly can't fathom why so many people want to wish away an underpaid, #1D?! Wreaks of baby/bathwater thinking.  Fix the roster around our really good players!

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

If they're not willing to part with Schneider, they can kick sand.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hey man, we totally agree he's being under utilized here. He hasn't remotely been put in a position to succeed/get the most out of him That's a MAJOR problem. One I hope to see rectified sooner than later (I've been harping on about it for MONTHS).

But once again, that's a management problem, not an OEL (or his contract) problem. They need to build a better, more cohesive D core around Hughes and OEL. We don't need to ditch OEL. That's bass -ackwards. The guy is a stud.

Keep the stud, do a better job supporting him.

i dunno i just think it's better if we can move OEL if possible for someone that can be better utilized in that defensive role for cheaper cap hit so we can spend elsewhere. coz as long as QH is here.. i honestly don't see OEL being put in a position to excel therefore a waste of cap space no fault of his. OEL 5v5 production really is no different from his time in arizona and it's just the PP production he's missing.. putting him on PP1 really ain't going to make a difference.. you are going to be taking off either boeser or horvat assuming miller is still here.. OEL ain't going to be replacing the 11-13 goals between boeser and horvat.

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

To me he plays somewhat like Kucherov. Capable of greatness at a moment's notice but also makes no look passes and does have a tendency for give aways albeit not at a poster child level. I'd take Miller's game over a 3rd liner who makes the simple plays most of the time. With risk comes reward.

Yeah you are absolutely right.

I think Petey is the unicorn and there's not many players like him.

I quickly checked many of the stars in the league and their takeaway to giveaway ratio is pretty poor as well.

I guess when you have the skills, you take the risk to make the play because chances are, the guys you are taking the risk against dont quite have the same skillset to burn you the other way.

I dont want 3rd liners playing boring hockey just going glass and out either.  I just want responsible play like Petey and Podz but I have to admit, there's not many that play that way

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

i dunno i just think it's better if we can move OEL if possible for someone that can be better utilized in that defensive role for cheaper cap hit so we can spend elsewhere. coz as long as QH is here.. i honestly don't see OEL being put in a position to excel therefore a waste of cap space no fault of his. OEL 5v5 production really is no different from his time in arizona and it's just the PP production he's missing.. putting him on PP1 really ain't going to make a difference.. you are going to be taking off either boeser or horvat assuming miller is still here.. OEL ain't going to be replacing the 11-13 goals between boeser and horvat.

You spell Myers funny.

Miller's gone bro. Noting wrong with:

Horvat

Boeser, Pettersson

OEL Hughes

...on the PP

49 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly!

And imagine if we can free him up a bit by adding better defensive D around him and/or putting him with QH on the PP!

I honestly can't fathom why so many people want to wish away an underpaid, #1D?! Wreaks of baby/bathwater thinking.  Fix the roster around our really good players!

11 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Are there other teams with 2 Really good Offensive D Man making 7+ ?

I think if Canucks really wanted to trade OEL, they should just swap him and Quinn's deployment and OEL would probably make it to the all star game.

Pretty easy to trade his contract then as well as getting something very valuable in return.

The sad part is, Quinn would sink if he was in OEL's deployment with all the tough matchups while being paired with Myers.

I just really wish OEL could figure out how to move to RD so that both he and Quinn can log big minutes.

Also, OEL is a leader

WHen our team was playing like absolute garbage, how many times did OEL (freaking OEL) have to drop the gloves in defense of his teammates while nobody else showed any backbone.

To me, OEL is a keeper. You dont get rid of a great player like that because you cant figure out how to fit him into the lineup.  You gotta figure out a way.

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1